.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 29th, 2012, 09:11 PM

Sergeant

samoht is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Coe

haha ooOoOoo

The community is actually pretty great. I think on the whole sometimes we get tired of hearing people make complaints about the game that are quickly and easily answered by reading the manual. Especially from people who are familiar with Illwinter games and know the necessity of familiarizing themselves with the mechanics of the game before jumping in.
Old March 30th, 2012, 03:25 AM

Second Lieutenant

elmokki is on a distinguished road

Well, while it didn't take long to figure out how to transfer troops, I cannot stress enough that it's needlessly unintuitive system. Of course when you figure it out it isn't that horrible for gameplay, but it's still vastly inferior to Dom3 system.
Old March 30th, 2012, 04:32 AM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoht View Post
haha ooOoOoo

The community is actually pretty great. I think on the whole sometimes we get tired of hearing people make complaints about the game that are quickly and easily answered by reading the manual. Especially from people who are familiar with Illwinter games and know the necessity of familiarizing themselves with the mechanics of the game before jumping in.
Well having to read the manual to learn the ****ing interface is very bad interface design. So Illwinter should not be proud of that. (Also, userability testing should have caught that).
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old March 30th, 2012, 09:23 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Isnt that something that was in CoE2?

Also, a helpful button is the ? key. In the main map screen it has an informative response. In the battle views it has a different informative response. And in the army transfer screen yet another display of keys.

All 3 of those keep changing so its worth checking them again once in awhile also.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 30th, 2012, 09:35 AM

Sergeant

samoht is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmokki View Post
Well, while it didn't take long to figure out how to transfer troops, I cannot stress enough that it's needlessly unintuitive system. Of course when you figure it out it isn't that horrible for gameplay, but it's still vastly inferior to Dom3 system.
I do agree that Dominions 3 is the superior experience overall. As much as I enjoy CoE3, I don't think I'll end up playing it nearly as much or nearly as long as I did Dom3. I don't think I'll play ANY game that much, for that matter. I still enjoy CoE3 a lot and think a lot of people might like it more if Illwinter hadn't spoiled us with Dom3. They're a victim of their own success!
Old March 30th, 2012, 11:24 PM

Corporal

Angry_Hominid is on a distinguished road

I bought COE3 but after a couple of games I really wanted more depth so I bought DOM3. I cant seem to find any MP games tho!
Old March 31st, 2012, 12:03 AM

Corporal

vladikus is on a distinguished road

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in (I'll try not to make it a nickel). I actually bought Dom3 a few years ago, but sold it because there were many unappealing factors. CoE3, on the other hand, is right up my alley, and I consider it the better game. All about taste I guess.

Game Master Mod
Old April 3rd, 2012, 10:24 PM

Corporal

Zywack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
The game actually provides base numbers, which no one will totally agree with so its probably a forever discussion on where they should be set it.
Probably I'd say it heavily depends on some characters, though. Some like the Senator do okay if something bad happens since they have a 9 gold base income (although it also means 2 critical spots to protect at game start instead of 1).

On the other hand, a witch losing the apprentice early on (invisible unit stacks for example, or actually failing the first summon with regular fungi usage: Seen it happen) is nearly a game-crushing blow: She has a base gold income of 0 gold so even if you are lucky enough to snag a few undefended farms, it's going to be around 30 turns before you can buy a second commander. I know it's sort of balanced by the fact that her primary resource is consistantly everywhere and unguarded, but it's still a long, long time before you can grab new commanders especially since they have no summonable commanders (Never seen any in the three games I've played as Witch, at least) and it's not enjoyable that an early set-back takes so utterly long to recover from (Odds are you'll have the enemies armies at your gate before you have recovered). You have to take a lot of turns to be able to buy units early on (especially since you HAVE to buy them in groups of 5 or 10), commanders can take forever to aquire depending on faction, ressource presence and plain luck, but later on in the game you have so much money you don't know what to do with it.

Like in Dominions, your starting city gives around 400 gold per turn. Getting a new city doesn't improve you to 800: It gives a modest increase. In this game, getting one badly undefended town will often more than double your gold income: It puts any player who can get some very early leagues ahead of the others.

Still... I'll admit that there is a lot of personal preferences involved and that everyone could argue for days on the subject. I'll certainly keep an eye out for the development of the game, and I'll definitively play it Hot Seat with some friends (Dominions' really not viable for that due to turn length), but as of right now most of my playtime will definitively be dedicated to Dominions. Maybe I'm just not a fan of that much randomness. That's okay though: as vladikus said, different tastes for different people!