.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 27th, 2010, 10:24 AM

Sergeant

Atreidi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Slow performance

This same thing happens to me periodically in SP games bigger than 400 Probs. Is there any way to rescue the game? I would hate to abandon it so many turns into it.
Old April 27th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

You might try rebooting your computer, then running the game with many of the features turned off. No music, low graphics, no fade screens, etc. You dont have to change those for ALL your games. It can just be for the one you are having problems with. Some help for that is here...
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=44262

The map can also be a problem if the graphic part of it is too high-resolution. But that is really hard to try and change in mid-game.

Or you might zip up the game (and the map) to send to a server so they can run it for you. I can do that if you want to send it to me. That way you can connect over the net and the server does the heavy processing.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 27th, 2010, 01:42 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
You might try rebooting your computer, then running the game with many of the features turned off. No music, low graphics, no fade screens, etc. You dont have to change those for ALL your games. It can just be for the one you are having problems with. Some help for that is here...
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=44262

The map can also be a problem if the graphic part of it is too high-resolution. But that is really hard to try and change in mid-game.

Or you might zip up the game (and the map) to send to a server so they can run it for you. I can do that if you want to send it to me. That way you can connect over the net and the server does the heavy processing.
Thanks for the tip. But I am certain this is not a hardware or CPU power capacity problem. At this point I already know what kind of dominions game sizes my computer can handle. This happens even in smaller maps. I've ran much bigger maps for more turns with out it getting stuck on the thinking phase. I have no way of verifying this but I think it is a problem with how the AI is processing the turn. It is as if it was getting stuck with a decision. I just wish I knew how to avoid it. From all the hundreds of SP games I've played its only happend a couple of times, but it is still frustrating having to end the game earlier than expected.
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:08 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Are you using mods?

Try turning on the debugging (use a -dd switch) and check the end of the file it creates.
There might be just one thing in the mod file that you can remark out to continue.
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:30 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Are you using mods?

Try turning on the debugging (use a -dd switch) and check the end of the file it creates.
There might be just one thing in the mod file that you can remark out to continue.
I'll give it a try. Tnx.
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:14 PM

Corporal

Rookierookie is on a distinguished road

The issue I'm getting is that Dom3 seems to completely phase out at times and just not respond. My log file for example was stuck at 459kb for about 30 minutes before it grew in size again, which I assume is the sign that the program came back to life.

From what I can understand, that section where it got stuck seems to be Tien-Chi's commanders making their moves. But I really have no idea how that can cause problems.

Attached an incomplete log file for reference.

Although, since JK seems to have found the problem already, I guess I'll just wait for the next patch to resolve the issues.
Attached Files
File Type: zip log.zip (53.5 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Rookierookie; April 27th, 2010 at 08:28 PM..