.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 16th, 2009, 03:20 PM

Corporal

zlefin is on a distinguished road
Default Pool anywhere blood slaves.

It'd be really cool if there wasn't so much micro involved with blood magic, especially on the slave collecting.
The shift-z command to pool blood slaves was a big help, but i've got an idea that would take it further:
let shift-z pool blood slaves even if you're not at a lab. While I realize it's a bit odd to allow shifting to the stock when not at a lab, it'd really finish the job started by shift-z, of getting rid of mm. Of course this would be one way, it only lets you put slaves into the stock, not take any out. This is another reason i recommend making it part of the shift-z command, as it doesn't require messing with the gem transfer interface.

It'd be really cool and helpful if this could be put in.
Please,
Zlefin
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:46 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pool anywhere blood slaves.

Yeah I'd be fine with that. I'd also be fine with blood hunting auto putting slaves in stock - so if you want them on the actual guy you have to manually assign them.
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:53 PM

Captain

Jarkko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
Yeah I'd be fine with that. I'd also be fine with blood hunting auto putting slaves in stock - so if you want them on the actual guy you have to manually assign them.
What would actually be cool, was if you had a check box like we have for taxation (with which we choose auto-taxation or manual taxation per each province). Tick the check box on blood-hunter -> any slaves get placed in lab. Don't tick the box -> manually decide how many (if any) you want to place in lab
Old October 16th, 2009, 08:34 PM

Corporal

Theonlystd is on a distinguished road

This would be great

A couple other things that would speed up the game alot for me atleast.

An option to repeat what i choose to build in a fort every turn as long as i have the gold to pay for it..

Most of my time is spent buying stuff ill buy every turn in that fort for most of the game..

A way to save the position you want something on the battlefield like we can with orders.. Thats where alot of my other time goes..

Im sure this stuff has been suggested before tho =p
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:51 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Requests are great altho probably abit late for Dom3

But just to keep people from getting too frustrated, realize that the answer to micromanglement is the same as in any game. Find a macro program that works in conjunction with the game then program hotkeys to do what you want.

This isnt just a Dom3 thing. Your entire future in gaming can be affected by this. You will get pwned quick in any new MMORPG if you dont realize that someone is definetly going to hotkey their long series of attack actions. As soon as they get a new game, some people will go searching for cheats while others will immediately start testing macro programs to get ahead of those who are waiting for others to post the answers. A very basic "hacker thinking" concept is that nothing should be done over and over. As soon as it seems to be re-occurring, program it away. Hotkey programs are not hard to use. They "watch and record" your mouse and keyboard actions, then assign them to something like Ctrl-Alt-Z (as an alternative to the Z action in Dom3)
Old October 17th, 2009, 12:14 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Completely different conceptual level for macros in a twitch reflex game and in Dominions. In Dominions it might reduce your micro, but won't actually change the results, while in a MMORPG or shooter it makes it possible to do things you can't do by hand.

I am curious about how you do this in dominions though. I get how the programs work, but I have difficulty seeing how you apply them to dominions. Particularly the mouse actions, since that would seem to require everything to be in exactly the same positions every time.
To go back to the original topic, how would you automate the task of collecting blood slaves from your blood provinces to scouts and moving them to the nearest labs? Could you do this off one hotkey? Or one per province?
Old October 17th, 2009, 01:36 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
I completely agree... Dominions_3 is officially in sleep mode.

Ideas/Suggestions/Wishlists can be discussed, but we won't see anything until the development of Dominions_4 begins... which I've guesstimated around 2015.
Old October 17th, 2009, 02:07 PM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road

To my knowledge macros are mostly forbidden.
Not only because of the stuff that thejeff mentioned but you could theoretically make a macro that does all the boring and repetitive stuff that earns you ingame money and leave your pc running 24/7.
Now, if you are predestined to become the CEO of a big company you could also try to sell it on ebay.
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post

But just to keep people from getting too frustrated, realize that the answer to micromanglement is the same as in any game. Find a macro program that works in conjunction with the game then program hotkeys to do what you want.

This isnt just a Dom3 thing. Your entire future in gaming can be affected by this. You will get pwned quick in any new MMORPG if you dont realize that someone is definetly going to hotkey their long series of attack actions. As soon as they get a new game, some people will go searching for cheats while others will immediately start testing macro programs to get ahead of those who are waiting for others to post the answers. A very basic "hacker thinking" concept is that nothing should be done over and over. As soon as it seems to be re-occurring, program it away. Hotkey programs are not hard to use. They "watch and record" your mouse and keyboard actions, then assign them to something like Ctrl-Alt-Z (as an alternative to the Z action in Dom3)
I love people who do that in MMORPGs. They = easy loot for my thief and easy kills for the rest of my characters .

I remember the first time I ever encountered someone macroing. They were casting an are of effect spell over and over and I wanted through the area. So I sent them some tells to stop long enough for me to move through the camp and they never did. I got hit with an AOE, got ticked off and killed the guy. His town was nearby so I went there to kill him again. His character was standing in town casting the same spells over and over. That's when the light bulb turned on .
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:15 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

I like the idea. To further it (if only because I enjoy discussing the game), I'd suggest that pooling bloodslaves outside of an area equipped with both a lab and a fortress (you need a proper dungeon to lock up those slaves, and a magical lab to keep them pure), should make them vulnerable.

If a province where you've pooled your slaves should be attacked, those bloodslaves could then appear on the battlefield. That would significantly nerf the ability, while making for additional strategic choices. Scouts (only) might also have the special ability to free bloodslaves in such vulnerable provinces, while hidden, which would give scouts a nice boost of useability, without breaking their balance.