.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 10th, 2005, 08:18 PM

Private

Bannon is on a distinguished road
Default Some Newbie Questions

Hello All --

Just got Dominion 2 a week ago. Lots of fun.

I have a few questions that I have not been able to answer by searching the forum: (only talking about AI games)

1) Are their peace treaties or cease fires? From what I can tell, it appears not. If you can make peace or get a cease fire, how do you do it.

2) Acts of war? There are a number of spells and stealthy moves that would be considered acts of war, like "blight" and "arouse hunger" (one of my favorites so far). As the Vanheim, I took over a few neighboring provinces with Arouse Hunger from a nation I was not currently at war with. I also lost one in this way. From what I can tell -- these are not acts of war. Do you ever get "caught" doing these things and have the AI declare war on you.

3) Similarly, when you have incidental combat -- like another nation moving into the same independent territory as your army moved into -- I guess this does not mean you are at war with the other nation. Correct? Also, catching stealth units, assassination attempts, etc.

4) Boats -- Vanheim has the ability to sail. Is there any other way to sail? Are there spells to cross bodies of water. How do you get an army across the water (other than "underwater breathing pills" or amphibian troops).

5) There is one leader C'tis unit (can't remember name). It says it lays eggs and has very limited command ability (about 10). Does this unit do anything speacial (other than what it says in the description). Kind of leads you to believe that it would have some ability to lay eggs and create units... or add some sort of bonus.

6) Not a question, but a comment -- I love those Wights. They look like a pack of Jedi Knights fighting their way through a crowd. I spearheaded a group of them agaist an Ermor horde. Unstoppable! I wonder how they would do against flesh and blood enemies with their Bane Blade.

Thanks for any help! Looking forward to getting better and playing MP.
Old February 10th, 2005, 08:50 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some Newbie Questions

Quote:
Bannon said:
Hello All --

Just got Dominion 2 a week ago. Lots of fun.

I have a few questions that I have not been able to answer by searching the forum: (only talking about AI games)

1) Are their peace treaties or cease fires? From what I can tell, it appears not. If you can make peace or get a cease fire, how do you do it.

The only way to get the AI to go back to a peaceful state is if no provinces change hands for several turns (no message occurs when this happens).

Quote:
Bannon said:

2) Acts of war? There are a number of spells and stealthy moves that would be considered acts of war, like "blight" and "arouse hunger" (one of my favorites so far). As the Vanheim, I took over a few neighboring provinces with Arouse Hunger from a nation I was not currently at war with. I also lost one in this way. From what I can tell -- these are not acts of war. Do you ever get "caught" doing these things and have the AI declare war on you.

There are quite a few untraceable spells, but arouse hunger is not one of them.

Quote:
Bannon said:

3) Similarly, when you have incidental combat -- like another nation moving into the same independent territory as your army moved into -- I guess this does not mean you are at war with the other nation. Correct? Also, catching stealth units, assassination attempts, etc.

Bumping into AI army does not cause war, and I can't recall the AI using stealth units.
Quote:
Bannon said:
4) Boats -- Vanheim has the ability to sail. Is there any other way to sail? Are there spells to cross bodies of water. How do you get an army across the water (other than "underwater breathing pills" or amphibian troops).

Various teleport spells could get you across, there is also a pocket ship item which gives the same ability as Van commanders (and a marignon theme with commander that also sail).
Quote:
Bannon said:
5) There is one leader C'tis unit (can't remember name). It says it lays eggs and has very limited command ability (about 10). Does this unit do anything speacial (other than what it says in the description). Kind of leads you to believe that it would have some ability to lay eggs and create units... or add some sort of bonus.

No, they don't get any special abilities.
Old February 10th, 2005, 09:55 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some Newbie Questions

Quote:
Bannon said:
6) Not a question, but a comment -- I love those Wights. They look like a pack of Jedi Knights fighting their way through a crowd. I spearheaded a group of them agaist an Ermor horde. Unstoppable! I wonder how they would do against flesh and blood enemies with their Bane Blade.

Thanks for any help! Looking forward to getting better and playing MP.
In SP the wights are great .
In MP they get instantly whipped by holy pyre , wither bones , dust to dust etc. .

I made this painful experience in one of my first MP games after using the wights and ghosts and vampires excessevely in SP .

Don't get frustrated if you get rulored in your first few MP games badass . This is just normal in Dominions and makes it so great .
I play it now since 9 Months and about 6 Months in MP and i still always invent new Strats and Tactics .

Only the Paradoxgames are equal in deepness and longtime motivation with dominions