.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old September 7th, 2010, 08:42 AM

Private

cwkjc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Boot Camp - Newbie intro to Dominions MP - Send pretenders!

Ok for another newbie game, i'll check the forum later, good game !!!
Old September 7th, 2010, 11:57 AM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Pretender Send.
Old September 7th, 2010, 02:10 PM

Corporal

Duncan_Frost is on a distinguished road

Sent my pretender in.
Old September 7th, 2010, 07:07 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road

It just occurred to me that I've been suggesting people take a look at strategy guides. That's a good idea but it's important to keep in mind that most of them were written before CBM 1.6 removed gem generators from the game (clams, bloodstones, fever fetishes) and may recommend focusing on them. So keep that in mind when planning your strategy.

Duncan_Frost you may have already realized this but in case you haven't, be careful what pretender you choose. C'tis has pretenders available that are not immune to its own miasma.
Old September 7th, 2010, 09:49 PM

Private

durecellrabbit is on a distinguished road

@DragonRider - I wouldn't worry too much about not knowing how to use everything. I know what Thugs, SC and communions are, for example but all my attempt to use them have failed so far. Hopefully this game will provide the chance to get it right or see someone get it right and be able to learn from that for another game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius View Post
It just occurred to me that I've been suggesting people take a look at strategy guides. That's a good idea but it's important to keep in mind that most of them were written before CBM 1.6 removed gem generators from the game (clams, bloodstones, fever fetishes) and may recommend focusing on them. So keep that in mind when planning your strategy.
I got really confused about the clam economy a lot of guide mention and had to ask about them in IRC. Reminded me of Cottage Economy from Civ4 from some reason.

It's very early morning here so I'll send my pretender in after I wake up and do a quick test. I have a good idea about it but I want to quickly run through a SP game to make sure I'm not making any massive mistake like too low dominion.
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:37 PM

Corporal

DragonRider is on a distinguished road

Well, my Pretender is as ready as she's going to get. I should be good to go, assuming I understand Llamaserver correctly.
Old September 8th, 2010, 01:02 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

I noticed that not all of you have private messaging enabled. Most diplomacy in dominions tends to be done either by: private messaging, email, and IRC. Private messages are not enabled by default, and if you want them allowed you'll have to go to your user cp, click options in the drop down menu, and that'll bring up the page with private messaging options on it.

Dragonrider... your name is familiar. Have you ever posted pictures of yourself involving a pole and a trenchcoat?
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:00 AM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road

Definitely agree with rdonj that in-game messaging is kind of a last resort. The two big drawbacks are that it is slow and there's no history of what you sent. The only thing I'd normally use it for are as a second form of communication to end a NAP or to get someone's attention if you think they aren't regularly checking their messages.

Regarding IRC, you'll notice durecellrabbit has already gotten help there. You'll find a lot of knowledgeable players there and this is probably the quickest way to get answers to questions and one advantage it has over a forum posting is that you can ask a question and not have it publicly posted for other players to see (rdonj can correct me if I'm wrong in this understanding).

So we have six pretenders in. I think we'll probably start Wed., worst case Thurs. if minko needs more time for testing. By default the llamaserver has a 48 hour hosting interval for the first turn in case any problems need to be worked out. After that we will be on 24 hour hosting until turn 20.

I'll try to check this thread as close to hosting as possible in case there are delay requests but of course if you think you need more time the earlier you can post the request, the better.
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:53 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Regarding IRC, you'll notice durecellrabbit has already gotten help there. You'll find a lot of knowledgeable players there and this is probably the quickest way to get answers to questions and one advantage it has over a forum posting is that you can ask a question and not have it publicly posted for other players to see (rdonj can correct me if I'm wrong in this understanding).
This is certainly true, yes. I haven't been on IRC very much lately so I'm not sure who all is likely to be around during the days, but there's almost always some very good players on who should be able to answer anything other than a finalgenesis question pretty casually. That channel idles a lot though, so it may take a few minutes for someone to notice you showing up.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:55 AM

Corporal

Duncan_Frost is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Duncan_Frost you may have already realized this but in case you haven't, be careful what pretender you choose. C'tis has pretenders available that are not immune to its own miasma.
Y'know, I completely forgot that. The poison-immunity ring (Snake Ring?) would prevent that, right?