Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Mod Conceptual Balance Mod 1.6 - Page 69 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old April 26th, 2010, 07:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

militarist is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conceptual Balance Mod 1.6

New, more systematic to ballancing nations.

Since CBM is the main mod for ballance improvement, I think it is a proper place where strategic balancing of nations should be done. Approach, which I see now is quite simplistic. It would be cool if someone knowing dominions, and main strategy templates of all nations, and counter templates from other nations would make some look of obvious holes.

For example as Ctis, I just was smashed by S9(+ some minors) bless Lankas.
Twist fate makes Cti's tramplers ineffective, skellyspam is sound like an answer, but it was always just not enough spammers. And it was very hard to protect provinces from raiding by lanka's thugs. Ctis's PD is something terrible and N+D magic is not a best kind of magic for supporting troops. It was just overkill.

We can take men against giants, etc. Any nation with any. Then to generalize it to some common templates and then look at each nation which seems vulnerable to each template ,if it has counter strategy at all. I believe that the game is ballanced, when you always have some counter strategy, not connected with diplomacy.

I mean approach should be systematic. Maybe a table of nations, with commonly used strategies of each agains each and counters. If they exist. It would help to create a frame, though which we could see better what nation on what stage of a game against which nation needs some method.

One of templates can be expansion for each nation. Some nations, with a single bless expands very fast, and others are in pain all this stage, and it is not necessary because they are stronger in other game stages.

So the answer of CBM can be an answer to major templates, used by players in MP against other nations + during expansion phase.
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:03 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

The thing is militarist, CBM has never really been about inter-nation balance, except for really egregious cases. Instead, its been more focused on intra-nation balance, trying to make it so that different troop/commander choices within nations are all equally valid.
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Might i request not bundling standards and streamers? its not like it conflicts with CBM, and I would prefer not having to find the standards and streamers bits solely to delete them. Its already silly enough having a blanked copy of the standards and streamers mod.
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanator View Post
The thing is militarist, CBM has never really been about inter-nation balance, except for really egregious cases. Instead, its been more focused on intra-nation balance, trying to make it so that different troop/commander choices within nations are all equally valid.
This isn't really true. most of the 1.6 changes were inter-nation balance focused. CBM seems to shift more and more to overall balance from intra-nation balance as time goes on.

Basically, I wish people would stop trotting this out as an excuse not to fix things. The goal of CBM is to have people be willing to make a larger variety of choices, and that can just as well apply to nations as units within nations or magic items.
Old April 26th, 2010, 09:19 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Squirrel - it is possible that eventually CBM will one day reach the standards you're setting for it. However I expect that day, if coming, is a very long time off. Why don't you try your hand at modifying CBM and making your own balance mod like chrispedersen did? It's unlikely you'll get as many people playing your mod as CBM has, but you can at least start your own games under it. And you'll be able to play the game you want that way

QM has been known to add parts of other mods into CBM... a la no gem gens, UWGIM, and worthy heroes. If he likes some of your changes they could end up being included in CBM as well. All you have to do is a bit of modding.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

kianduatha is on a distinguished road

I just realized that Jomon's Tatsu might actually have a niche if you gave them H2--their flavor says that they follow one of the Five Paths, so they could be like flying Monks of the Fivefold Path. They'd still be niche, but at least they wouldn't be completely useless.
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:51 AM

Corporal

Festin is on a distinguished road

I think there is only one possible use for Tatsu - cheap flying thugs which can be used without investing in additional equipment. It is just a matter of making them more cost-effective. Maybe if they are made cheaper and a bit more tough, or given the ability to self-bless...
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:07 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

ano is on a distinguished road

Just started getting acquainted with CMB 1.6 and so have got a question.
Why does the Skratti pretender (Blood 1, new path 10, dom 1) with slightly above 30 hp and human stats cost 50 points while the other rainbows either cost 0 or are greatly improved (or both) and the immortal(!) Bog Mummy (B1D1, dominion 2, better stats) costs 110.
It's either I misunderstand something or it was not covered by the mod.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:35 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Not sure, that does seem a bit expensive for how CBM would cost it. Should probably be more like 30 points, honestly. but maybe there's some reason for it that I don't immediately comprehend, either.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old May 4th, 2010, 06:59 AM

Corporal

Festin is on a distinguished road

Maybe he is supposed to be able to change shape like normal Skrattis do? Then the extra cost would make some sense.