.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old June 25th, 2007, 07:17 PM

First Lieutenant

jutetrea is on a distinguished road
Default Question revisit: Multiple versions of same nation

Can you:

a) Have the same era nation two or more times in one game. i.e. 4 EA Ulm, 3 EA Helheim's, etc.
1. I believe the answer is yes, but would like confirmation. I think it was discussed in one of GP's randomization posts.

b) Can the banner mod be changed to deal with this? 4 EA Ulms - random, or slight variations to the available banners? Would each banner need to be made separately? For example, make 10 varying Ulm banners, then have a game of 10 EA Ulms vs. each other?
2. I believe the answer is also yes.

c) Thinking this way, with multiple of the same era nations, what would be the max # of players on a single map? I believe the max size is 1500 (need bigger!) so if you limited everyone to 10 provinces apiece you could squeeze on 150 players. true? 150 Helheims!

Ignore rest, full on ramble.

d) I'd like to see the above scenario matched with Dr's tourney idea. 150 players, really squished together playing a VP game for a set amount of turns - say 50. Any nations, multiples allowed. Minimal sites, very difficult magic, minimal gold/resources. This would definitely benefit bless nations. At the same time have a parallel game at 20provinces/nation (75), research or dominion goals for win, easy magic, high resources, high gold, 50 turns.

Hmm, limiting tourney time only really makes sense if starting conditions were used to assist late game nations. I'd like to see like top 5 early game/face hugger nations go against top 5 late game nations in both conditions. Shrug, or just a way to have month long tourneys instead of year long.
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:44 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question revisit: Multiple versions of same na

When I made the Single-Age mod I started with the suggested method of "just declare the nation and set the era to 1 for all of them". That didnt work. The game did not like having 3 Ulms in the same game. But, it worked when I renamed them to Early_Ulm, Middle_Ulm, and Late_Ulm.

On the other hand, doing multiple times of trying to assign Early_Ulm to Ulm_1, Ulm_2, Ulm_3 didnt seem to work.

In my guess... the next experiment would be for someone to duplicate Ulm as a complete mod. Copy the units to new unit numbers. Once one is done that just duplicates Ulm then it might be possible to set it to multiple nation numbers.

Apparently however, certain nations have abilities which CANNOT be duplicated by a mod so it would not be possible to offer EVERY nation this way. At least, not yet.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:39 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question revisit: Multiple versions of same na

A) Yes, you can do this for some nations by reproducing them fully on mod format. It wouldn't work properly with nations such as LA Ermor, LA Rlyeh etc because they have special rules that you can't get via modding. I'd say 2/3 or more nations could be faithfully reproduced via modding though.

B) Yes of course. You can define a different banner (or the same one) for each nation with a unique number.

C) No idea. Unless it's limited by the available nation numbers (which is possible).