.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old June 28th, 2007, 09:58 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Map idea

You can't mod teleport gate sites, no.

Putting it in the middle of the map, graphically, does nothing about the dominion - that is purely controlled by what province is connected to what. As far as the game is cncerned, the provinces would be adjacent, no matter where it was placed on the map graphic.

No building labs and no casting spells on it is part of the house rules - there's really no way to enforce them - if people want to break them they can, but then there isn't much point in them playing a game with the Arena anyway, is there?
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:16 PM

Sergeant

paradoxharbinger is on a distinguished road

perhaps there is something that could be done by looking at the files generated at the end of each turn i believe ive heard gandalf talk about crazy post turn scripts that he's.

each nation has a special teleport province, which you send your champion to. when the next turn is being generated, all of the teleport provinces are checked and the troops contained there in are sent to the arena province.

once again, dont even know if this possible, just a thought.

Get The MapGen Alpha

Get The Dom3 Unit Maker

I'm shoulder high in crap, and my water-wings are flat!
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Seeing that people have sent units to the "teleport province" is possible fro the game logs. But transporting them would get into game-file editing which has been decided is a BAD can of worms to open.

The only option for mid-game changes is in the MOD file and I dont see a way for that to do it either.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:35 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Waitaminute...
(its bad to challenge me with things that cannot be done)

OK its impossible to do. But I have always said that impossible is just a technicians term meaning it can be done but its probably more trouble than its worth.

If a dummy mod was created, with a placeholder unit representing the champion of each race and the game puts all champions into the arena at the beginning of the game. Then the logs are watched by a program which "sees" the champions entering the teleports. A version of god-view reads the champion and edits the placeholder to match. See? more trouble than its worth.

edit: hmmmm removing the originals would be a problem.

also edit: this would only work for one arena.

Oh well, maybe I will have another brain fart later.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 29th, 2007, 05:52 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

I think dominion kill won't be a problem, because the arena will be very highly connected. So, say a high dominion nation produces a candle. It will have some chance of entering the arena (say, 1 in 5 or something depending on how many provinces are adjacent to their capital), then if it moves on the probability of it landing on a particular player will be 1 in (number of players). I reckon that's diluted the dominion spread to the point where it won't be particularly important.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old June 29th, 2007, 05:54 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

And of course often the candle will just settle down in the arena and not move on, particularly because its likely that candles from different nations will keep on annihilating in there.

Could be worth a test, I'd be surprised if it were noticable.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old June 29th, 2007, 09:36 AM

Second Lieutenant

Starshine_Monarch is on a distinguished road

Of course what would happen if MA C'tis managed to get a dominion foothold in the arena? Anyone not cold blooded would eventually die from disease and nobody would want to send their thugs there. And what about anyone else with particularly potent dominion effects, like LA Ermor and R'lyeh or somebody with a global enchantment that effects provinces in their dominion (later game, I know, but still). I think we really need to find a way to make sure nobody gains dominion in the arena. The hidden indie spy with the Stone Idol is a good idea, but I'm wondering if it is do-able?
Old June 29th, 2007, 12:00 PM

Sergeant

paradoxharbinger is on a distinguished road

well if the post-turn script deal works, you could just tack some more code in there to force the dominion to neutral in the arena

Get The MapGen Alpha

Get The Dom3 Unit Maker

I'm shoulder high in crap, and my water-wings are flat!