.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default pretender generator

Projects are getting done so its time to bring out my ideas list and toss another rock into the pond just for the ripples.

With a pretender cost-calculator out, and the various discussions about AI faults, Im wondering if it might not be worthwhile for someone to write a "better" pretender generator (yes I could do it myself but I dont want to slam the door if someone else wants to since they could probably do it better).

The idea is that if someone puts a generator down in code then it would be easier for us all to
A) check its assumptions for particular nations
B) improve on them based on our own experiences as players and based on AI stupid actions
C) maybe even give Johan something to use as psuedo code for an in-game improvment

The biggest basis of it would be a case statement for IF LA_ERMOR, vs IF EA_PANGAEA, vs IF MA_ABYSSIA, etc etc. Possibly down the road to handle variables for IF SC and IF RAINBOW but I would rather avoid that for now. At first I would like to see a simple structure for just the nations so that people can suggest reasonable scales and pretender choices along the line of whats being done for the SemiRand project. In fact, the output of the program might best be done as a SemiRand .GAN file which overwrites it each time. So if you feel that you want some new opponents you can run this program to generate new pretender/scales for the AIs of certain nations. Being able to append to a map to have certain nations play as GOOD AI's would be a nice improvement.

Oh, and I would like some ideas also as far as reasonable alliances. I figure that Pangaea and Oceania would ally. Who else would make sense?

Side note:
Of course, as soon as a reasonable one is done then my first project will be to pollute it with my chaos by throwing pretender units into my copy of it that cannot be gotten with the game. Like "Ancient Presence" or "Tree Lord" coming up for Pangaea. Hmmmm maybe a pretender of "Eater of the Dead" for Ermor?
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:41 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: pretender generator

I'm pretty sure if you want the 'best' AI it should only ever be given imprisoned pretenders with good scales. An uber bless, an awake SC, a rainbow,... I have never seen the AI use any of these things properly.

In fact making sure their pretender is immobile is probably a good idea too, or they'll just throw that great sage into a fight armed with a firebrand and a berserkers pelt.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:18 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Immobile is probably a good idea.
I dont think we have an option for sleep (yet)

If you boosted production levels and bless together (making the blessed units more likely to be recruited) wont work? I suppose I could run some tests and find out.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:51 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Well if you really want I guess you could make an AI version of, say, MA Vans which only had the sacreds and priests recruitable and used a W9F9 or some other dual bless. Even the AI would be pretty scary with that.

But if you're going that way you might as well just make a mod nation which can build Seraphs for 20 gold as standard troops. The AI would kick your *** if it had that.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:41 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Well even if it doesnt kick *** as an AI we can still create logical ones. Having a Mictlan build with blood and lots of dominion strength might help it survive awhile. An ermor build that cashes in on its death scale, abyssia with heat, oceania with cold, Pangaea with the proper magics to be able to cast its national spells, etc etc. Im hoping that some people can come up with things abit better than that.