.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 23rd, 2010, 06:44 PM

Corporal

Rookierookie is on a distinguished road
Default Slow performance

I'm getting some extreme performance in my current SP game on Glory of the Gods. I'm in year 10 now, and every turn takes around 1 hour to resolve IF I'M LUCKY. The program gets stuck a LONG time on the "AI Thinking" phase, altering between Running and Not Responding, and about 50% of the time it just hangs up completely on the phase. (If it gets past the AI Thinking phase, everything becomes fine)

Now I know that turn resolutions take longer and longer, but I've never had the game just hang up on me like that with no response, and in any case I would expect that Battle Resolutions should have been the primary timeclogger. I have supplies set to 300, but both Rl'yeh and Ermor are dead, and in any case I'm not sure how that could cause the AI to think in real game-world time.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on a C2D T7100 and 2GB of RAM, which is not great but should be more than enough to handle the load. The system is actually rather responsive (Dom 3 seems to use only one core) even when Dom 3 is resolving the turns.

Anyone can offer some input on that?
Old April 23rd, 2010, 07:37 PM

Corporal

kennydicke is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Slow performance

I don't have an answer but my brother has the exact same issues with Windows XP on a P4 SL7EY HT and 1.5 GB of RAM. However, I've never had the problem and my system is slightly better but virtually identical to his...

Just to cover the bases:

Is your video card an ATI? My bro's is... Could be the drivers or even the GPU itself. Even if it isn't ATI, it could still be the drivers or card.

Do you physically clean out your computer regularly? Excessive dust in the machine can cause the processor or video card to overheat and severely hamper overall performance.

Do you monitor your system's temperatures? Bad cooling can be detrimental to system performance, especially during game-play.

Do you defragment your system regularly? Over-fragmentation can increase seek time, which often appears to the user as a 'hang'.

Do you run a lot of 'background' programs? 2GB of RAM is fine if you don't, but having a lot of programs in your system tray can adversely affect any game's performance.

EDIT: My bro said he fixed the problem by reducing the graphical options to the lowest point possible. This might only work for 'new' games.

Last edited by kennydicke; April 23rd, 2010 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: info
Old April 23rd, 2010, 08:27 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydicke View Post
I don't have an answer but my brother has the exact same issues with Windows XP on a P4 SL7EY HT and 1.5 GB of RAM. However, I've never had the problem and my system is slightly better but virtually identical to his...

Just to cover the bases:

Is your video card an ATI? My bro's is... Could be the drivers or even the GPU itself. Even if it isn't ATI, it could still be the drivers or card.

Do you physically clean out your computer regularly? Excessive dust in the machine can cause the processor or video card to overheat and severely hamper overall performance.

Do you monitor your system's temperatures? Bad cooling can be detrimental to system performance, especially during game-play.

Do you defragment your system regularly? Over-fragmentation can increase seek time, which often appears to the user as a 'hang'.

Do you run a lot of 'background' programs? 2GB of RAM is fine if you don't, but having a lot of programs in your system tray can adversely affect any game's performance.

EDIT: My bro said he fixed the problem by reducing the graphical options to the lowest point possible. This might only work for 'new' games.
AFAIK graphics performance should not come into play during turn resolution phase, and my drivers are up to date. In addition, other games work just fine, although none of them are as advanced as this one is.

I am on a laptop so cleaning is not something I can do. Temperature doesn't seem to be in the excessive range, although I'm not ruling this out as a possible problem.

I don't run too many background programs, and system resource use is fine in Task Manager.

To me fragmentation or overheating seems to be the most likely cause, and I am a little short on HDD space. On the other hand, I'm not seeing any disk access during play, so I'm not sure what to make of it.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:11 PM

Corporal

Attaching the savegame to see if anyone can get it to run.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Late.zip (974.6 KB, 72 views)
Old April 23rd, 2010, 10:23 PM

Corporal

Sorry for the triple post - doesn't seem that I can edit my post - but this is the map file that might be needed to run the save. The game uses CBM 1.6.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Glory_v317_G11_CUSTOM_LA.zip (17.4 KB, 52 views)
Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:01 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

I tried it. It did run, but it took a long time.

It's definitely CPU bound, running at 95-100% whenever I looked at it. So it's not a memory or hard drive issue.

I suspect it's just a big game that takes a long time to process. I can see AI time growing faster than battle time. As the game progresses not only are there more units, but each one has more options.

I've never played an SP game this big or this long, so I'm not sure this is normal. Gandalf, you're the resident expert on giant SP games. Does an hour or so sound reasonable for 600 provinces and 10 years into the game?
Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:15 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

A turn will use as much processor as you can give it, that is really the only deciding factor as to how fast it will resolve. Keep in mind with multiple cores it will still only use 1 core. I usually overclock my system to 4.16 to run really large games 1500ish provinces, 70ish nations and I never get anywhere near an hour turn time. At the most I get 1.5 minutes, so something definitely seems fishy.
Old April 24th, 2010, 12:11 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodstamp View Post
A turn will use as much processor as you can give it, that is really the only deciding factor as to how fast it will resolve. Keep in mind with multiple cores it will still only use 1 core. I usually overclock my system to 4.16 to run really large games 1500ish provinces, 70ish nations and I never get anywhere near an hour turn time. At the most I get 1.5 minutes, so something definitely seems fishy.
Well my processor is quite a bit slower

Still this turn time is annoying and weird. I'm thinking there might be an issue with Windows 7 resource management that causes it to throttle or kill Dom3, but in Task Manager it does show Dom3 taking 50% CPU. Something is making the program not respond.

Is there a way to change how Windows recognizes "dead" processes?
Old April 24th, 2010, 05:34 AM

Brigadier General

Johan K is on a distinguished road

I've taken a look at it and it was unbearably slow for me too. Usually this part does not take long time at all. I made some performance improvements to the guilty function, so the part that slows down your game should be considerably faster with the next patch.
Old April 24th, 2010, 09:22 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Nice one JK.

I would advise the thread starter to give up on this game though and possibly stick to smaller games - it seems unlikely that you're going to b interacting with all of those 600 provs. Maybe you could try 300, or 200.

Personally I wouldn't touch anything over 100.