.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old October 20th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Corporal

Tyrian is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Age of Wonders Mod

It's a very good idea. I tried to make an AoW mod but I don't have skills for graphics and I give up for this reason.

Another problem is the transport unit like the air galley. There isn't any similar system in dominions. The only idea I have to simulate this is to give supply bonus for transport unit.
Old October 20th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Transport units are hard to pull off. The only transport like ability in the game really is sailing. In my Master of Magic mod I gave the Draconian airship sailing so it had some sort of transport mechanism. The disadvantage of course is that the AI loves to make prophets out of airships. But I just use my imagination and pretend like the captain is the prophet
Old October 20th, 2007, 03:41 PM

Corporal

Professor_Dyar is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Juzza - right now I'm feeling around for what is possible, as I did not know about the unit DESCRIPTION limit! For recolored units, I will definitely want a musketeer, a female Elven archer, something to stand in for Julia, possibly some Dwarven units, but most of the other races I think are around. Then there's machines, which as you say should be around. But THANKS for your offer! I will definitely take you up on it once I know what I need (if you want to suggest anything, go ahead)!

Just to clarify on the descriptions: there suppose that you try to load two separate mods each of which have 150 descriptions. Will this overwrite each-other?

Anyhow, yes, I was intending on making flagships and transport ships not only sailing but also give them the ability to allow troops under their "command" to enter the sea. It doesn't matter if the AI wants to make Prophets out of them; after all, if they are the commanders that go into the sea, then ordinary commanders can't go, so there have to be applicable prophets.
Old October 20th, 2007, 07:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

Juzza is on a distinguished road

Okay, There are a few hoburg mods around, (hoburgs are practically dwarves) So we can probably modify some of them, theres also the 11 nation mod for the Black Moon armies that has two dwarven nations. The 11 nation mod also have at least two elven nations. In case you wanna source some stuff from them, un, theres also Salvania, or something which is an elven nation with good graphics. Also one of the hoburg mods has some siege equipment so, whenever you have a list of stuff that needs doing I'll be ready!

Dinnas'Arval Mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...nnas'Arval

Free Port:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...+nation&page=3

Currently working on:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...hlight=witcher
Inspired by the game The Witcher and the Witcher Novels.
Old October 21st, 2007, 02:44 AM

Corporal

I hadn't considered that there might be other mods already out there that would have done some of the work already. I would like to preserve as many Dominions nations as I can still, so where possible I would like to modify existing Dominions units than replace them wholesale. But I will look in the mod list thread and get back to you tomorrow - thanks!
Old October 21st, 2007, 05:38 AM

Corporal

Tyrian is on a distinguished road

If you want to create a Age of Wonder mod, I think you can't preserve dominions nations easely.

For the Hoburg, they are more closer to the Hobbit.
Old October 21st, 2007, 08:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

Juzza is on a distinguished road

mm, true, and dwarves in age of wonders are tough and short, so they should stay size 2, they should also lose some speed, gain some hp, possibly strength, and lower their encomberance or give them some reinvigoration, remember, they may not be fast but they can endure a lot!

Dinnas'Arval Mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...nnas'Arval

Free Port:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...+nation&page=3

Currently working on:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...hlight=witcher
Inspired by the game The Witcher and the Witcher Novels.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 01:14 AM

Corporal

I have browsed through the list of mods, and right now I'm too busy to try them and probably will be for a couple of weeks (RL intevenes).

It looks like there is material available to make some of the non-human races, so when we get to them they should not pose too many problems. I would like to add new units more than remove existing ones, though, so I am still thinking with the model that, for example, the Dwarves are Vanheim AoM with a bunch of things added (i.e. the Dwarves still have their demigod or elf-like allies, although the balance of the nation is now clearly Dwarven).

For the moment, I'm taking one race at a time, the first one on my list being the Humans.

Can anybody verify what can and cannot be done, using multiple mods if necessary, concerning unit descriptions?
Old October 22nd, 2007, 03:11 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I thought you were already told - last time it was tested (in patch 3.08) it was roughly 183 or so descriptions that you could add.

Multiple mods, single mod, makes no difference. You can't add more descriptions than that. That includes overwriting the descriptions of vanilla units too, I believe. I could be wrong on that last part though.

With 3.10 I would guess there are even fewer description slots available.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 04:01 AM

Corporal

Just making sure - but if overwriting the vanila descriptions is not part of those 183, then that's an entirely different story.