.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

The Star and the Crescent- Save $8.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $6.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 13th, 2003, 02:08 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: dominions copy protection

I like the method where one of the old easily cracked scheme is used so that even some old menu driven tool can crack it. Then a new code is deeply inserted to look for the crack. If the crack is found then the game becomes horribly irritating (bad luck shall strike you every ther turn) or it turns the game into a demo Version

By the way I did like the method used in Dom 1 also. If a game found the same CD key being used then the host just "forgot" to process every other turn for that player. No matter what they use I think they should leave that in or something equally as irriating. Yes, I discovered the copy protection. Because I had 5 legal copies of the game but hadnt come up with a method of remembering what CD was loaded to what machine. Everytime I had a machine blowup I had to find all the CDs and go thru them one at a time loading them then setup a multiplayer game with them.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old October 13th, 2003, 02:22 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

I would prefer a method that finds out if the game has been cracked, and then fries the CPU of the computer where the warez Dom II is being run.

Of course that would be illegal and possibly impossible to do, but hey, bying a new CPU and possibly a couple of new parts has to suck.

Because that would be kinda impossible to do, i answered "CD key has to be entered when downloading a patch".

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old October 13th, 2003, 03:02 PM

Captain

johan osterman is on a distinguished road

The copy protection works much the same way it did in dom 1.
Old October 13th, 2003, 03:27 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by johan osterman:
The copy protection works much the same way it did in dom 1.
the doms I scheme only adresses issues involving a multiplayer game with redundant cd keys. You can still play solo with a pirated key without problems (see the NG for the ongoing discussion, the guys at Shrapnel know that cd keys of doms will appear in a matter of days on the internet).

You really ought to protect more your game IMHO.
Old October 13th, 2003, 03:29 PM

Captain

johan osterman is on a distinguished road

Perhaps, but it is to late to implement anything else now anyway.
Old October 13th, 2003, 03:44 PM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

Is it possible that although I have a cd-key after buying the game, the same cd-key will be used by hackers?
Old October 13th, 2003, 03:59 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

The sad fact is, that CD-Key or not, all games are cracked, and all games have generated CD-Keys.

The Galciv idea, that you can download a patch with a valid cdkey is not working at all.
The Galciv updates can be found on the internet...Sad but true.
If you know where to look of course.
[Hint: I think even a google search can guide you very well, if I am correct.]
Now you may ask, that how the heck did they get those 'Online only' patches. Well who knows? How the heck can someone leak the Half Life 2 source code?
There are no answers. Only questions.

If you ask me, all protections are a joke, It is totally pointless, as Richard had mentioned before.

The CD-Keys are useful @ Online play. Just think: Battle.net
However another sad fact: There are countless valid cdkeys on the internet for Warcraft III. & Frozen Throne. Yes you heard it right, valid Battle.net Cd-Keys...
You can find anything....I know that it is sad, but you cannot stop piracy, ever.

[ October 13, 2003, 15:00: Message edited by: DominionsFAN ]

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old October 13th, 2003, 04:04 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

I say Illwinter makes the CPU frying copy protection system, accompanied with "I will smite thee with the powers of angry god, heathen!" message when Dom II detects it has been cracked.
Then they can sell their copy protection system on and make some $$$!

I know, it's illegal and possibly impossible to do.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old October 13th, 2003, 04:12 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by DominionsFAN:
[QB]The sad fact is, that CD-Key or not, all games are cracked, and all games have generated CD-Keys.
True, but cdkeys reported to be pirated can be put on black list (Gal Civ, or windows XP). When several Users ask for the same patch, dozen of time, it is safe to think that something is amiss with this cdkey.

Quote:
The Galciv idea, that you can download a patch with a valid cdkey is not working at all.
The Galciv updates can be found on the internet...Sad but true.
False. The updates which can be found are the major patches, which are delivered with a cd key, right, but are downloadable and archivable. The incremental patches, which are installed progressively as you download them, are surely not found on the internet.
Major patches are made by Gal Civ to allow Users to archives them and reuse them as they wish, with the big drawback that they are pirated.

Quote:
Now you may ask, that how the heck did they get those 'Online only' patches. Well who knows? How the heck can someone leak the Half Life 2 source code?
There are no answers. Only questions.
these are not the 'Online only' patches, but the downaloadable & archivable patches.

Quote:
If you ask me, all protections are a joke, It is totally pointless, as Richard had mentioned before.
all protections can be cracked. The issue is not to have an uncrackable protection, but a scheme which will slow down sufficiently the pirated copies spread. With patches all secured thru download, you can perhaps pirate the old Version of a game, not the new ones.
Old October 13th, 2003, 04:21 PM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerfix:
I say Illwinter makes the CPU frying copy protection system, accompanied with "I will smite thee with the powers of angry god, heathen!" message when Dom II detects it has been cracked.
Then they can sell their copy protection system on and make some $$$!

I know, it's illegal and possibly impossible to do.
Didn't you already posted this?

I do hope that you are joking because frying one's CPU, even if it were possible, is not only illegal but simply not right as well. Imagine that if Cop stops a speeder, takes a bat and smashes his car. Basically you would be much worse then him.
But of course, you are joking.

Right?

[ October 13, 2003, 15:26: Message edited by: Daynarr ]