Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old November 9th, 2005, 04:38 PM

Corporal

Nox is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gun Tube Orientation.

Quote:
SHortreengage said:
Yes, PlasmaKrab. Thank you. I know that. I'm talking about orienting the gun to cover your sector of fire while moving. Potential targets, not actual ones. For example: a Tank company traveling in a Company Column (Platoons in column)
the Lead tank would have it's gun pointed to the front, the next tank to the right, the third to the left alternating until the last tank wich faces to the rear to avoid any suprises. Other formations would use different orientations.
Can you be more spesific of what actual advantage did you get whit the old system compared to this new one. I mean did you see enemy units better or hit them more often in opfire?

I personaly like the new turret system. Previously tanks were driving along whit their turrets pointing everywhere. I also see no harm in the new feature because the tanks still turn their turrets when atacking. Also now you are less likely to get your tank destroyed by an enemy tank hitting the side of your turret in a head to head engagement.
Old November 9th, 2005, 04:42 PM

Captain

narwan is on a distinguished road

Even though it's not a feature I've been using sofar I understand the reasoning behind it. If your not moving directly towards a threat you could under the old system still orient your turret (and its heavier armor) towards either known enemies or the sides you fear an ambush might come from (facing that hex reduces chances of a succesful close assault for example AFAIK and again the heavier armor on the turret front would offer more protection against fired rounds). For many AFV's (MBT's especially) it can make a great difference if you get hit, by an ATGM for example, on the front or side of your turret.

Narwan
Old November 10th, 2005, 09:38 AM

Corporal

Cameronius is on a distinguished road

Seeing as there is such a difference of opinion about the usefullness and reality of this new mod perhaps it is somthing that can be put into the preferences screen in the future with an on/off toggle switch.
Old November 10th, 2005, 10:46 AM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road

I can see benifts both ways. I hate moving my units toward the enemy and forget to re-orient the gun toward them BUT at the same time as a former tanker I understand the desire to keep the gun toward the known or even "anticipated" threat.

As long as the gun stays pointed at a known enemy target I can live with the current preference/feature. It'll just take a little re-learning things on my part.
Old November 10th, 2005, 09:20 PM

Corporal

Weeble is on a distinguished road

This new "feature" is causing me real problems. I'm ex-RAF not armour, but not being able to face your turret toward an 'anticipated threat' is I believe a retrograde step.

"Tracking" with a stabiliser whilst LOS is maintained is nice, but the overall loss to general realism is not worth the addition.

In a close urban situation would all AFVs move with their turrets facing 12 o'clock?

Disappointed