.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old July 9th, 2020, 10:03 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: German Campaign using War Cab

Turn 13 start
A lot happened this time 9 more British units down & we now control 10 VHexes.
Amazingly while the North have had to modify slightly on the whole we are still following the original plan-nearly a first.
NORTH

Should kill the Bofors - if not will smoke it so we can destroy the enemy here.
AA had an eventful trip one got caught between an ATG & the new squad now routed in trees.
Not going after the ATG but it either moved adjacent to the squad or stayed in its sights, tricky rescue mission to target the squad.

222 & AA staying out of LOS along road as no idea what's there, probably smoke with StuG as don't want a shot to its rear either.

SOUTH

Nearly cancelled the attack as found another tank for 5 in total & there are no VHexes there.
Also we had real fun clearing out area A on Hill 1, the StuG's went to take up firing positions - where they are now & the hex to SW.
They did not notice the PIAT teams who as often happens were waiting to let off multiple shots in the AI turn which would be to the rear if I engage the tanks.
Infantry spotted 1 then ended up pilling in when second was seen, trying to take that one out brought the Churchill into play.
Got chaotic but caused retreat & a kill in the end despite there being 3 good order squads as well, 222A/C saved the day.

StuG's were surrounded by smoke in the end. They 1 hex moved & started the tank battle finishing off the Churchill when it presented its flank to them. Going after the new Churchill now.

Tank battle went better than expected got 3 the other 2 killed by the ATG - one had been damaged by a MKIV. The remaining Sherman may be damaged cannot remember. Sturmpanzer exited the depression behind it & took 1 damage from hidden ATG as smoke had cleared.

That field is a pain need to get the infantry forward gun hunting there are bound to be more.
Forgot infantry found a Honey about to assault with MkIV & 250/11 backup.
Old July 9th, 2020, 08:36 PM

General

Turn 13 update
We have lost a bit of cohesion now starting to get out of contact issues.
All infantry platoon leaders have radios as do Platoon I of Company B.
2/3rds of Pz Grenadiers have them, unfortunately MG & ATG's do not.

NORTH
Overwhelming force hmmm more infantry keep making themselves known.
Either need a bit of arty support or could smoke & go for VHexes then they might move off the rough hexes.
HMG is tied up with Bofors forced abandonment by crew.

SOUTH
Killed the Honey - those Panzerndmine 3s seem pretty reliable for a 2 hit kill only lost one man, hopefully it goes as well against the Sherman.

250/11 took remaining VHex there & is immobile, PIAT hiding in the woods.
Thought it was lost no rescue but 222 found an elevated position spotted & killed it.
You have to love them vs infantry its nearly out of ammo but has saved my bacon 2 turns in a row.

Tanks fired a lot of smoke to allow grabbing another VHex & screen from expected guns, its running low but should last.
Several squads mounted up to move across the field & act as eyes.
Risky but all the arty fell on Hill 1 - Company B Leader lost 5 men can't help him major suppression.

1 Damage on the new Churchill before it popped smoke, he has a friend who has just been hit with arty so is the next target.
Old July 10th, 2020, 05:37 AM

General

Turn 15 start
NORTH

Took stock here 5 vehicles supporting attacking from 3 sides we have overwhelming force, they will die fast as run into my arms.
Worked perfectly 2 turns & that's all that's left of 6 squads without losing a man.
Then ran 222 straight into a hidden squad.

F Platoon are splitting going for 2 mortars down the road.
Rest will take these VHexes & hold them.

SOUTH

Obviously its not Platoon F that's going to hold this VHex had them in my mind.
We may need to head North into woods later to end the game I know an ATG is in there, possibly a few others units to.

Assault on Sherman went well lost nobody, it was suppressed possibly damaged already. Lone Churchill has used its last discharger.

Getting LOS on those other Churchills is proving harder than I thought & its PIAT team city up here another 2 encountered along with a couple of squads all dead. 222 is down to its MG now.

Mortars are placing smoke behind Churchills just in case.
V Hex just above them we need but if we push further East it will just be infantry with MG backup, why risk the tanks.

Should have extended the smokescreen further South Halftrack & passenger died to an ATG.

Co B Leader got hit again but no more damage & we got our 2nd CB fire in retaliation.
Brits own 8 Vhexes losses G7:B41
Getting the hang of stitching the screenshots together now.
Old July 10th, 2020, 10:08 AM

General

Turn 16 it was all going so well.

NORTH
Turns out the 222 died at 2 hex range to a PIAT armed squad & there were 3 of them. This is going okay 2 are dead.

SOUTH
Still not found the ATG's despite being only 3-4 hexes away.

Turns out that lone Churchill wasn't on its own after all.
Badly mauled squad & MkIV without a gun, another is going to die next turn.
No dischargers or place to move so only hope was kill one tank & hope it blocked the line of sight to the other, it didn't.
It missed a 80+% shot we are not going to be so lucky next turn.

PARTICIPATION TIME
Its a self contained action only these units can participate if you want to figure out a plan of attack yourself.
British units in ignore area are routed or have no LOS.

This is the push against the other Churchills that's been going on for a few turns. We have probably removed 5 squads from the area in that time & a few PIAT teams but they still have a lot of supporting infantry.
Close range in my view to attempt a sneak attack & wont happen unless some units can be neutralised first.

Slim chance my AT team is still hidden it received no fire in AI turn.
Units with LOS to it targeted other units.

KEY
Germans - 1 pinned unit circled rest in good order - 2 halftracks have passengers.
AT Team reports a 45% hit chance.
British - 3 good order (ready) units others pinned buttoned.
The top Churchill possibly fairly heavy suppression though the Brits seem to have rallied well so not banking on it.

Orange - Low Density trees - Crest Lines - numbers are elevations - solid hex smoke no LOS
Yellow - current LOS to infantry units.
Purple - Current LOS to Churchills (dashed means nothing just did as getting cluttered.)

Hopefully screen is clear enough & some of you enjoy figuring out how to approach this one
Old July 10th, 2020, 10:13 AM

General

Right click & save picture might be the way to go if you want to have a think.
Old July 10th, 2020, 11:17 AM

General

Update its all correct except
Sniper - can see squad NW of lowest Churchill
AT Team - can see that squad & the 2 below the Churchill (3 squads on the crest line)
Bummer pretty sure dust obscured last turn.
Did not mark but squad with adjacent British squad is only unit with LOS to it. would expect to win combat with 1 or 2 shots otherwise move up a tank.

All infantry including sniper are known - only possible exceptions are the top squad & AT Team. Both MG should be concealed still.

STOP IF WANT TO TRY I HAVE LISTED POSSIBLE OPENING MOVES BELOW HAVE AGO FIRST

Possible opening moves I might go for fire against squad unless stated otherwise.
MG > couple of bursts @ Churchill
Pinned squad > SE
Squad SW of pinned squad > E
Squad below sniper > E
Lowest squad > adjacent hopefully 1-2 shots then squad shown on pic
He is only unit with LOS to adjacent pinned squad - did not mark as obvious
AT Team > E @ Churchill
Sniper > Squad mentioned above NW of Churchill - would like to fire before AT team but will probably draw fire from at least one Churchill which may suppress the AT team.
Old July 10th, 2020, 10:05 PM

General

Bit reckless should really wait but we gave this a go
Some artillery should fall on lower 2 Churchill's & supporting squads, more next turn as only a few battles to spread over now.
Need the squads gone to move ATG along channel & deploy (its not a rough hex at the end)

Screen is position before artillery falls with & without smoke -numbers are damage taken.
Pretty much followed opening & AT team lost a man (not shown) despite efforts to reduce fire at it.

My 2 squads that took damage opened the salvo - expected bad result - my pinned vs a ready squad is not ideal. Other was damaged as a Churchill fired at him.
AT Team missed of course - squads & 1 Churchill forced retreat.

Moved MkIV to MG hex (bottom left) to draw fire as longest engagement I could do - Churchill missed & dust blocked LOS.
Bottom Churchill had taken a fair bit of splash fire so risked moving a bottom tank up- Churchill missed & got a it got a lucky hit around 28% for 1 damage Churchill pops smoke.
The other tanks there moved to target infantry there.

StuG made risky move to snipers original hex & MkIV took over - StuG & both Churchills damaged in the exchange.

My top squads fired at infantry somewhere in this then let one shot at top Churchill - no response.
Top MkIV made a desperate move against top Churchill's flank & only received MG fire from it. Hit chance got to 50+% but all missed.

Last StuG & Halftracks moved up deployed & shot at infantry - top one smoked - other killed the squad there.

If the Churchills move they will run into the squads the halftracks dropped. As fast moving they wont do much but it should be enough to let my tanks win.

Back to more sensible play have plenty of time so probably should have just gone for the infantry.
Old July 11th, 2020, 12:42 AM

General

Turn 18
The Brits are on the move everywhere except the group of 3 Churchill's, my guess started on turn 16.

NORTH
Last 2 VHexes to take are here, will take one this turn the other has a Bofors AA on it. Infantry smoked when discovered waiting for the StuG.

SOUTH
Turned out leaving a guard on the VHex with the immobile 250/11 was a good idea repulsed 2 squads.

The MkIV died as expected but its crew survived. 1 damaged Churchill left there now.
AT Team got one & 2 squads attacked the other its in a difficult spot to approach.
My fault forgot 4th squad in platoon has Gebalite Ladung for its AT weapon, not nearly as good tank shrugged off previous assault leading to MkIV's demise.
Might upgrade these squads at battle end.

Found & killed 1 ATG but now have British infantry advancing through East woods.

Clearing out the area to move the waiting ATG up is proving slow work as only decent LOS to them involves vehicles on rough slopes which I would like to avoid if possible.
British infantry may be inbound their anyway meaning using ATG is not a viable option.

Little progress against 3 Churchills did not engage but got a couple more of the infantry moving.

Forgot to check arty contact at start of my turn resulting in killing 3 of my men.
Old July 11th, 2020, 11:43 AM

General

Turn 21
That went on longer than expected infantry kept turning up, screens are from turn 18 as thought it was over.

NORTH

Was poised to run a truck over the last British VHex as there were quite a few guns here so not risking the StuG then the infantry turned up.
Took 3 turns to reach that hex then they gave up.

Never made it to the mortars at the end of the road either, guns to the left of me guns to the right of me anybody would think it goes to Berlin.
Pioneer was leading the way as he had a lot of smoke 6 I think, luckily he is my unit with the flamethrower.
Had to use the Z Fire & set the terrain on fire trick as ran out of smoke.

SOUTH

Did not think big enough with regard to holding that VHex, as said repulsed first wave no problem. Got a 3rd squad there when the next wave showed up. Probably lost about 20 men 1 squad wiped out before could reinforce & stop them.

They kept coming from the East woods to though that was easier let them run into my line as a platoon swung round behind to finish them.

Turned out there was a nest of ATGs 5 in all. Hunting guns both here & up North hurt had trouble spotting them & they wait till 2 hexes away to open up. Quick kill but get their pound of flesh first.

3 Churchills once striped of infantry were simple enough to pick off, good job to.
First died easy enough second took 4 tanks to kill - 3 firing from 3-4 hex range, 10hits in all.
The immobile one got hit by half my arty thought he would bail but no, squad just walked up to him & switched out the lights.

Marginal Victory - thought it might be a draw to be honest played a few bad turns, fun battle overall though.

War Cab shows the tank battle on turn 18 (1.30 on graph) was rough caused a rise in suppression & worst ready state of the battle.
Green suppression line shows I got caught napping defending that VFlag a few units were in big trouble.

Finally meeting the Americans for the next one.
Old July 11th, 2020, 09:56 PM

General

Interim
As lost few units last battle we have a big jump in veterans to 47% of my force.

Average experience is now 78% - 2% gain per battle. Green line shows though that the more experienced units gained little or none.

TO BATTLE
Meeting Vs USA 90x70 visibility 38 hexes
Upgraded Pz Grenadier leader - gave him a rifle instead of SMG as supposed to avoid trouble.
Aux units - 2 Kubelwagen & Scouts - 4 MKIIIL's who will sit in instead of a platoon of MkIV's

Skewed logic was thinking till Allies get APCR I have a long range tank advantage.
Switching StuG's to MkIV would have made fairly even that turret is vulnerable at extreme range.
Done first few turns so will do some changes next battle to the armour.

Situation update shortly forgot to put notes on screenshot.