.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old November 25th, 2007, 09:18 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Making a Map Database?

Very good point about the links to here. So all that's needed is some kind of nice interface.

Unfortunately I don't really have the skills to do that (the very simple llamaserver website considerably stretched my website ability - well actually I had to learn everything relevant in order to do it). I think it's a great idea though. Anyone else able to do website stuff?
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old November 26th, 2007, 02:26 AM

Sergeant

paradoxharbinger is on a distinguished road

well, i've got a yahoo site just laying around, if everyone were to collect the links to the maps, i'd be happy to put a link page together. or i could put it on my wikidot page, no bandwidth limitation there, maybe that would be better.

actually, what if we were to start a dom wiki, the accounts are free at wikidot and as far as i know, the only limitation on the free accounts is the file storage limit.

Get The MapGen Alpha

Get The Dom3 Unit Maker

I'm shoulder high in crap, and my water-wings are flat!
Old November 26th, 2007, 02:40 AM

Sergeant

Zylithan is on a distinguished road

hey, maybe we could chat about this. ball barian has a good thread that collects links.

can wiki do ratings?

i looked at the wikidot thing... started, but got stuck.
also, the rating module seemed weak to me if i understood it correctly.

but could i put something from drupal in it, for example, like the voting API, voting or Fivestar?

voting API seemed like it would let one vote on many categories, autotabulate, etc.

i have no experience with drupal, but have heard that it is a good system in general.
Old November 27th, 2007, 06:28 AM

Sergeant

Temporarily removed...

I'm working on this, I think I have an okay solution. More later...
Old November 28th, 2007, 02:25 PM

BANNED USER

Wikd Thots is on a distinguished road

I think that a lot of the projects have been hosted on gandolfs servers. Does anyone know if those are still running? His domains seem to still work but maybe it's just in my cache since nothing seems updated for some time. And his hosted games seem dead.
Old November 28th, 2007, 02:51 PM

Sergeant

Wikd Thots - thanks for the suggestion.

I believe Gandalf's stuff is still up - I know he has, or recently had maps there.

I've been talking to ParadoxHarbinger about wikidots, and think I might be able to get something going with that. I'm in the process of moving in real life, so I've been slow on this project, but I am hoping to post somehitng by the weekend, and would love feedback.
Old November 29th, 2007, 05:47 PM

Sergeant

Okay....

I've created a website that is meant to collect and provide feedback on maps. I hope a lot of people create posts on this system, I think it provides a nice way to disseminate a list of custom maps.

Please give it a look-see, whether you want to download maps, or want to upload and get feedback on your maps. I have posted a few examples and the maps I have made, but the site is only useful if other people post their maps as well!

http://dom3maps.wikidot.com

Thanks,
Zylithan
Old November 29th, 2007, 07:23 PM

Captain

Twan is on a distinguished road

Posted mine, it didn't look evident, but in fact it's ultra easy : just copy-paste the code in "Sample Map Posting" in a text editor, replace the text and links by yours, then copy-paste the result in the good forum and it's done.
Old November 30th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Sergeant

Rock on, thanks to Twan and vfb for posting maps already and for everyone who said they would soon.

I'm moving this weekend, but when i come up for air again I'm going to make some changes to the site structure - so people can go ahead and use it or upload stuff now, or wait 5 days, and I'll make some changes.

Z
Old November 30th, 2007, 06:14 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Sorry, haven't read the full thread, just picked up some bits and pieces. I would be interested in something that tracks maps, too. It doesn't have to be fancy, should just have the following, preferably with some filtering / grouping options: Name of map, creator, number of land / water provinces, number of starting points (if any), suggested number of players, preview image if possible.

I'd be interested in creating something that does this, but I usually need a muse. Read: show me something similar, like for Warcraft or Starcraft maps or something like that, and I might "borrow" (steal, or rather recreate) what they have. I don't really like to start something from the scratch, but show me something and I'll do lots of improvements to it.

Quote:
Wikd Thots said:
I think that a lot of the projects have been hosted on gandolfs servers. Does anyone know if those are still running? His domains seem to still work but maybe it's just in my cache since nothing seems updated for some time. And his hosted games seem dead.
Gandalf has gone quiet on the forums since some weeks, which I have noticed earlier aswell. But he's still reachable, I sent him a PM a while ago and he replied in a short time. My games including the web things are hosted on his servers.
Emergency comic relief