This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old December 7th, 2000, 02:18 AM

Corporal

PurpleRhino is on a distinguished road
Default Question...

Does Emissive Armor stack? ie. You have two lv III emissives on a ship... does it take 60 to even damage the ship?
Thanks
Old December 7th, 2000, 03:57 AM

Sergeant

LintMan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question...

I don't think emissive armor stacks. It actually seems to be quite worthless...

I did a simulation of a ship with a bunch of Emissive Armor III (30 pt resistance), vs a bunch of fighters, all armed with a 15 pt and a 10 pt damage weapon. (25 total damage pts)

Using a single fighter, it didn't do any damage to the ship's armor. But when I had a group of those fighters, and made them attack from a range where only the 15 point weapon would fire, they easily damaged and destroyed the ship, as if all the separate 15 point attacks were one combined high-damage attack.

So unless your enemy is only attacking you with Groups of single fighters, emissive armor is pretty much worthless, unfortunately.
Old December 7th, 2000, 04:59 AM

Sergeant

Talenn is on a distinguished road

Yup, I pulled it in my Data Set and simply made the higher tech armors have a better damage/size ratio. I think its overcompensation from SE3 where EmArmor was EXTREMELY powerful..at least IMO.

Still, I'm thinking that you could make a component like 'Armor Belt' that has a large size and damage Ratio (takes 250 spaces and has a 1200 damage resist?) and then give that a '50-70' or so EmArmor rating...in essence, a ship carrying this wouldnt be able to hurt by weapons that arent Large Mount. Its big enough that only 'Capital Ships' would realistically carry it. Of course this is only a rough idea, but one I've been batting around for a while now.

But overall, the CURRENT EmArmors in SE4 seem kind of pointless...along with the Scattering Armor...crappy ratio, VERY expensive, and only blocks Scans...not overly impressive either IMO.

Once again, the true beauty of SE4 shows itself though...you can always change it!

Talenn
Old December 7th, 2000, 10:47 AM

Brigadier General

Mephisto is on a distinguished road

LintMan is right I have noticed the same. I don't know if emissive armor is stacking but one thing is for sure: the emissive factor is compared to the damage of the WHOLE salvo! Fire one weapon a time and it can hold if the weapon is small enough. Fire a salvo (and all fighter Groups do this) the whole salvo is compared against the emissive factor, i.e. the armor stands no chance.
Best armor ratio is still good all titanium armor (or organic and crystallide...).
Old December 7th, 2000, 12:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

Jubala is on a distinguished road

Has anyone tested if the emmisivie part of the armor gets deducted from the incoming salvo? Say a ship with emmisive armor III gets hit by a salvo doing 100kT damage, will 30kT be deducted and only 70kT get applied to the ship as damage? Makes sense to me, but does it work that way?
Old December 7th, 2000, 05:41 PM

Major

DirectorTsaarx is on a distinguished road

On a related note, the 'stealth' armor enables the cloak/decloak commands... surprised me the first time I saw it. I assume that means the "block Level x Scans" function of the stealth armor only works when the ship is cloaked.

BTW - the main reason I use the Stealth and/or Scattering armor is the 5/10/15% defense bonus in combat. Which does seem to "stack" with ECM. Nothing like watching the enemies' Shard Cannons completely miss, even at short range...