Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
what about the future? - Page 25 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 5th, 2010, 10:37 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road
Default Re: what about the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrana View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithLord View Post
I played D1 quite a lot and not sure I dig what you mean by that comment.

Bless was different, there were no themes nor eras, maps dynamically changed according to dom effects and the GUI was much more limited. Magic system was more or less the same minus new spells if memory serves.
I think maps dynamically changing was a great thing thematically. Maybe it made actual multiplay somewhat less balanced, but I personally could easily live with it!
From Dom 2 to Dom 3 at least 1 spell - Astral Weapon was also removed. Maybe some were from Dom 1 to Dom 2, too.
That feature was great. I really loved it. I asked IW to keep for dom-II but they took a whole different approach to maps. So now maps are, generally, better looking but don't change dynamically.

I also like Astral Weapon. Why did they choose to remove it anyway?
Old September 5th, 2010, 10:46 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

Guys, re. the game price sub discussion: I respect your opinions, intelligence and good intentions and I’m a player, so we’re on the same side, but with all due respect, let the man run his business. You can make all the analytical observations in the world, make suggestions, good or bad, that makes lot’s of sense or little - at the end of the day it’s his livelihood that’s at stake, not yours. Good or bad, this is the sales strategy Shrapnel feels comfortable with. That doesn’t mean they can’t adapt/improve listen to good suggestions but it does mean that the criticism must take into account who’s risking what.

As for the latest bad vibes comments and counter comments. I'm also upset by past mods decisions but it's all said and done. Don't forget or don't forgive but really, there's not much sense in investing energy in re-opening old wounds.

IMHO, taking into acct past debacles, these forums here host the "best" community for dominions. I for one wouldn't want to see them shrink, close, or lose any more members.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WraithLord For This Useful Post:
Old September 5th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Sheesh I was was just trying to be diplomatic. Of course any forum CAN be anything. I was just trying to paint a picture of both forums using terms inoffensive to both sides. Instead you want to paint a picture that your forum does not offend anyone and this one is all wrong (there isnt really a majority agreement on either of those).
I wouldn't call my picture of the other forum totally rosy. Implicit in being able to say what you mean is accepting other people will to. People who don't follow community standards will be ostracized by the community. Its the way communities work. The only counterpoint is that rules which try to control that merely change who is ostracized, not that some people are. And its important to realize that. No community can be everything to everybody.

Now, i certainly did imply that I find passive-aggressive behavior more annoying than combative behavior.

And you're engaging in passive-aggressive behavior in that post GP. If you think I'm wrong you can just tell me I'm wrong, you're not going to hurt my feelings.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old September 5th, 2010, 11:34 AM

First Lieutenant

Dimaz is on a distinguished road

Zeldor, Squirreloid, you are good players and I don't want you to disappear from this forum as I have no time nor desire to participate in the second one. Please, try to relax a bit. I understand why you're angry; however please try to relax a bit and stop getting into position where permaban is the only reasonable choice for forum administration. This will be bad for the community and you know it.
Old September 5th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
Quote:
Sheesh I was was just trying to be diplomatic. Of course any forum CAN be anything. I was just trying to paint a picture of both forums using terms inoffensive to both sides. Instead you want to paint a picture that your forum does not offend anyone and this one is all wrong (there isnt really a majority agreement on either of those).
I wouldn't call my picture of the other forum totally rosy. Implicit in being able to say what you mean is accepting other people will to. People who don't follow community standards will be ostracized by the community. Its the way communities work. The only counterpoint is that rules which try to control that merely change who is ostracized, not that some people are. And its important to realize that. No community can be everything to everybody.

Now, i certainly did imply that I find passive-aggressive behavior more annoying than combative behavior.

And you're engaging in passive-aggressive behavior in that post GP. If you think I'm wrong you can just tell me I'm wrong, you're not going to hurt my feelings.
I heard the other forum has half off cherry limeades between 2 to 4 pm; Can you confirm or deny this?
Old September 5th, 2010, 11:52 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodstamp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
Quote:

I heard the other forum has half off cherry limeades between 2 to 4 pm; Can you confirm or deny this?
You've been mis-informed Foodstamp. The offer is on peach schnapps between 6-8pm, every Tuesday to Thursday. Although you do have to defeat a Markata in 1-on-1 combat to be eligible for the offer.
Old September 5th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

I could only hope to be so powerful, witness the power of the markata:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbTSeJu7QaA
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:00 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodstamp View Post

You've been mis-informed Foodstamp. The offer is on peach schnapps between 6-8pm, every Tuesday to Thursday. Although you do have to defeat a Markata in 1-on-1 combat to be eligible for the offer.
That's unfair!. Only another Markata would be able to accomplish such a feat.
So typical of that other forum. Lure you in with special deals and then snatch them away. No wonder they were all banned here.
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:12 PM

Sergeant

Knai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyweiser View Post
But that is the whole definition of a niche game. Only a select group of people play it. It has little appeal to women, young 14 year olds etc. So it is a niche game! Of you want it to get out of the niche, you must convince other types of people to play. This was the main point of the discussion. Is Dom3/TBS niche or not? If only a select group of males plays it, it is a niche game.
No, few of them find it and purchase it. That is very different from appeal, as there is a huge difference between the group of people who would like the game if you put it in front of them and had them play it, and the people who would find and purchase it. Locally, the median age of Dominions 3 players is probably around 13.
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:28 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

13? I kind of doubt that...I'm in my 30's (I'm quickly losing my hair, have a wife, a mortgage, gallstones, arthritis, the whole bit), and a lot of the players I know are older than I am.