This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old January 24th, 2003, 06:52 AM

Corporal

orev_saara is on a distinguished road
Default Wish list for patch/SEV

Well, I couldn't find a thread for this, so I'm making a new one. Hope I'm not just retreading old business, but I had a few ideas that would really improve SE, for me at least. They mostly have to do with modability.

1) Instead of having a new line in compenhancement.txt for every conceivable thing that a mount might do, it would be more efficient if they were ability based:
Ability 1 := Shield Percent
Ability 1 Val 1 := 25
Ability 2 := Tonnage Percent
... you get the idea.

2) Definitely an SEV thing, but how 'bout some kind of actual orbit? Satellites orbitting planets, planets orbiting stars, etc. Maybe even stations and satellites that can increase/decrease their orbits? I guess it could get complicated.

3) Acceleration? Velocity? Vector-based kinematics? I know I'm asking for the moon and the stars here, but it'd be REALLY cool!

4) An end to weapon platforms? Sorry, WP-lovers.

5) Fleshed out ground combat? Planetary geography? Alright, alright, I know. I'm going crazy here, but I can dream can't I? Surely, ground combat could be a little deeper? Sigh.

6) Moddable resources. This may sound like a nightmare to some, but I'd like to be able to keep track of titanium stockpiles and crop yields. Maybe I should become an accountant?

Whatever, that's enough for now. Comments?
Old January 24th, 2003, 08:33 AM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wish list for patch/SEV

1) Instead of having a new line in compenhancement.txt for every conceivable thing that a mount might do, it would be more efficient if they were ability based:
Ability 1 := Shield Percent
Ability 1 Val 1 := 25
Ability 2 := Tonnage Percent
... you get the idea."

Uh-uh. I'd rather keep the current system. A lot of the fields are optional now, and you don't have to bother with the excess "ablity X" and "number of abilities" field.

Phoenix-D

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old January 24th, 2003, 10:14 AM

Sergeant

couslee is on a distinguished road

A lot has been addressed here (11 pages):
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/cgi-bin...;f=23;t=007637

I noticed your low post count, If your new like me, and are frustrated with the BB search engine, try the one from your browser (ctrl-f)

The other patch thread was on the first page. hard to miss, 4 me anyway. no offence.
Old January 24th, 2003, 11:03 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Ever heard of anti-gravity? This is a sci-fi game, and such technology would completely negate any problems of firing weapons into space, as the gravitic force would not be impeding them at all. The air resistance would hardly have an effect then too. And of course, matter and energy are the same thing, so this applies to energy weapons too.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old January 24th, 2003, 09:50 PM

Corporal

orev_saara is on a distinguished road

Fair enough, Fyron. I won't even start with the whole "lightning ray" thing. Maybe I'll mod in a required gravitational technology before you can make WPs? I don't know. And I'm still thinking that atmospheric resistance should be a factor, but then there's no way to set it to be there for most planets, but not those without atmosphere. And on gas giants, how deep are the weapon platforms really? To say nothing of the grossly inadequate size of gas giants in the first place... Never mind.

While I'm running my keyboard, has it struck anybody else as strange that moons are adjacent to planets in tactical combat (Sometimes), but satellites can be four or five squares distant? Why is that, and can I mod around it?
Old January 24th, 2003, 11:31 PM

Colonel

Arkcon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by orev_saara:

While I'm running my keyboard, has it struck anybody else as strange that moons are adjacent to planets in tactical combat (Sometimes), but satellites can be four or five squares distant? Why is that, and can I mod around it?
That happens when an enemy ship are already in the sector, and another enemy ship arrives. The game has some funky placement rules for this situation.

Problem is, if there are enemy space staions, satelites or moons, the same rules apply. If you're hung up on realism, these things are immobile and shouldn't be placed randomly, but the game has some placement needs above all that.
Old February 17th, 2003, 06:13 PM

Sergeant

solops is on a distinguished road

My wishes for the next patch are far more modest. How about:
1. Option to notify the player when a planet empties its build queue.
2. Show friendly and (known) enemy ship designs when you right-click on them on the main screen.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it. Judge Learned Hand
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that They are not out to get you.

Old February 17th, 2003, 06:30 PM

BANNED USER

Gryphin is on a distinguished road

3) Acceleration? Velocity? Vector-based kinematics? I know I'm asking for the moon and the stars here, but it'd be REALLY cool!
Yes it would be cool. On your priority list where would it fit? How about more time tweaking the AI? As a solo player I would prefer that.

Why? For Play balance? If it is because you see them as Unrealistic or Inconsistent with the game how many other items are you prepared to remove for the same reasons?

5) Fleshed out ground combat? Planetary geography? Alright, alright, I know. I'm going crazy here, but I can dream can't I? Surely, ground combat could be a little deeper? Sigh.
I don’t want to slow down game play with ground combat. It could be made as an option but I would rather time be spent coding other aspects of the game.

6) Moddable resources. This may sound like a nightmare to some, but I'd like to be able to keep track of titanium stockpiles and crop yields. Maybe I should become an accountant?
I don’t want to slow down the game with micro economics. It could be made as an option but I would rather time be spent coding other aspects of the game.
Old February 17th, 2003, 06:43 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by orev_saara:
I would only support this if you make it nearly impossible to glass planets from orbit. If you have to drop troops and capture all of them then removing WP's wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Geoschmo
Old February 17th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

I would not support that AT ALL.

You can easily mod platforms out using the existing patch if you want. Heck, you can just disable the tech area!