.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 9th, 2007, 06:23 PM

Private

Ranger is on a distinguished road
Default Understanding Horrors?

I'm not sure I understand Horrors, in my current game my God was attack and killed my a "Horror" and later by a "God Eater".

1. What causes Horrors (Horror Mark)? Several Spell say slight chance of a horror mark (on the caster or spell target)? The manual is not clear on this.

2. How do I tell if a God/Leader has a Horror Mark?

3. Is a God Eater a Horror?

4. How can I protect my God and Leaders from Horrors?

5. The army with my god did not show up during the Horror attack how come?
Old February 9th, 2007, 06:40 PM

Major

Teraswaerto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Understanding Horrors?

1. The Spells Horror Mark causes 1 level of being Horror marked, the spell Astral Geyser causes 3 level of Horror mark. Around 10 levels is usually always fatal. You can, and usually will, get hit by the same spell for multiple marks if it is cast more than once.

2. There is an icon.

3. There are several very deadly unique horrors. One of them is called the Eater of Gods or something similar.

4.Try not to get horrormarked. Beyond that, try to equip your commander so that they can kill an ethrereal blood vengeanced high defence creature in one combat round.

6. Only bodyguards show up.
Old February 9th, 2007, 06:54 PM

Private

Ranger is on a distinguished road

Several Spell say slight chance of a horror mark is this on the caster or spell target? The manual is not clear on this.

Thanks
Old February 9th, 2007, 06:55 PM

Sergeant

Fate is on a distinguished road

1) There is a spell "Horror Mark". The various items which say "slight chance of Horror Mark" mean on the wielder, unless it says "on hit:..." I believe a few globals can also horror mark the caster...

2) There should be what looks like a negative of the prophet icon (purple & green). If you click on it you can find out how strong it is. Stronger marks have a higher chance of attracting horrors.

3) Yes. The powerful, rarer kind.

4) Script them with buff spells, give them blood slaves (to surround them), and powerful body guards (troops set to "guard commander"). Oh, and cross your fingers.

5) When the horror just attacks your god, it is considered an assassination attempt. Only a random 5 bodyguards (troops set to "guard commander") can protect their commander. The "ring of warning" item increases that number to 10. The same goes for "normal" assassinations, too.

Horror marks mean that horrors in battle will target your commander first (everything from the phantom horrors up to the Hunter of Heroes and God Eaters). Horrors will also appear during battles and attack the horror marked commander. Finally, they will occasionally show up and try to assassinate the commander. Because many of them have horror-marking attacks (attacks which increase the target's horror mark), it is quite a slippery slope.
Old February 9th, 2007, 08:28 PM

Sergeant

Nick_K is on a distinguished road

Items that have a 'slight chance of horror marking' have that chance every turn. For each turn you hold e.g. a lightless lantern you have a small chance of getting a level of horror mark. Over a long game, most researchers using one will pick up horror marks and some will be killed by the horrors. I assume the other horror marking items behave similarly
Old February 9th, 2007, 09:09 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

You've met one of the three forms of Umor, Eater of Gods.

Horror marks are permanent and visible, although you can only know for sure that you -are- horror-marked -- just not how badly.

"Badly"... getting smacked by Astral Geyser is worse than basic horror-mark spam. Wielding the Forbidden Light or the Gift of Kurgi is more likely to mark you than a Lightless Lantern.

There are magic sites which can spread horror marks, too... although they're not that common.