.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

View Poll Results: How many hours do you sleep on average, per night?
6 or less 17 34.69%
6-8 22 44.90%
8-10 8 16.33%
10 or more 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 30th, 2004, 03:35 AM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road
Default OT Poll: Amount of Sleep...

Well, here's the question: How much sleep do you get on average per night, and how long is the longest you've ever gone without sleep. This poll is just for my curiosity, and because I'm trying to see how long I can stay awake this weekend.

(PS, due to some input by a forum viewer, I'd like people to post how MUCH over 36 hours they've been up, simply because "over 36 hours" is a little imprecise. If you'd like to post you're record, please feel free, and post it here! Thanks a lot )

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old October 30th, 2004, 03:49 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OT Poll: Amount of Sleep...

36 hours? Pfft. Have you never heard of the weekend LAN party?
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old October 30th, 2004, 04:00 AM

General

Well, it does say more than 36 hours

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old October 30th, 2004, 04:55 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Yeah but that could be anything...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old October 30th, 2004, 05:04 AM

General

Alright Fyron, you make some sense. So, just for you, I've asked people to post to say how long they've been up, it it's over 36 hours. Thanks for bringing my oversight to my attention

Old October 30th, 2004, 05:05 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I'll wait for some others to post their records...
Old October 30th, 2004, 05:05 AM

Lieutenant General

Kamog is on a distinguished road

The longest I have stayed awake is about two and a half days, during a particularly busy time in school when I had a lot of assignments and labs. Then after that I only got a few hours of sleep, followed by another long period of being awake, and so on. That week I got a total of 9 hours sleep for the week. I felt like a complete zombie after that.
Old October 30th, 2004, 06:30 AM

Corporal

XenoTheMorph is on a distinguished road

Well at Uni in my first year I just did not stop for almost 72 hours (I actually crashed late in the afternoon on the third day). The scary thing was I definitely felt like I was starting to see wierd things (& no nothing else was involved ), not just those 'auras' around objects you sometimes get from sleep deprivation. Strangly enough there was absolutely no reason for me to stay awake that long I just could not sleep at all the first night and stayed up!

Though the worst time I had was in my final undergraduate year when I was finishing the writeup of my project. Since I had no computer of my own at the time I stayed in the departments computer room for almost 36 hours straight, typing, typing, typing... then using the chairs as dragsters and giggling inanely

A Pessimist is just an Optimistic Realist.
Old October 30th, 2004, 07:38 AM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

I sleep an average of 8-10 hours a night, but that number really changes with the seasons. I'm the kind of guy that likes to wake up at first light, so in the summer the amount of sleep I get is closer to 6-8 hours on average. In the winter I lean closer to 9-10 hours, but I still get up in the dark and it really feels strange to me.

Longest sleepless run? I have done more 'All-nighters' than I care to remember. I think 33 hours is about the longest without sleep, but on several occasions I've gone 72-80 hours with a short 4 hour nap to split the run. You'd be amazed at how 4 hours of sleep and a shower can boost your energy.

As for marathons, how about a 70 hour work week with another 28 hours of commuting added on to that sustained for 6 and a half months. (A little detail, I am not able to sleep on buses so I was not able to sneak in and extra sleep in transit.) You do the math.

Nuf said, Cheers!
Old October 30th, 2004, 09:18 AM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road

Current record, 153 hours, or 6 days and 9 hours. I did it in university to win a bet that it wasn't humanly possible to not sleep for five days. Course, our Psychology department found out about it and asked if they could use me for a sleep-deprivation study. So, not only did I win the bet but the Psych department paid me as well.
BTW, this is NOT a feat I recomend trying to duplicate. Not sleeping for that long screws you up big time, and not just in the head. I was constantly getting bloody noses, bruised fingers just from typing and doing pretty much anything was very painful. Though the stuff that goes on in your head is pretty weird too. I remember the experiment/bet started at noon on Sunday and finished at 9pm the following Saturday. I'd won the bet by noon Friday, by noon Saturday I'd proved how bloody stubborn I could be, but then my mind was so addled I didn't go to bed until 9 because I didn't want to disrupt my sleeping patterns for the following week. Ended up waking up early Tuesday morning.