.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 17th, 2012, 06:33 AM

Corporal

Yskonyn is on a distinguished road
Default Overcoming the barrier to understand Dom 3?

Hi Guys,

I have been a citizen of this community for quite some time, played a few PBEM games of Dom 3, but I have to admit that -eventhough I see the potential fun- I just can't seem to get over the barrier and actually understand the game.

Part of this might be information overload. For example, reading most of the strategy guides posted here assume solid knowledge of the inner workings of the game. They often contain various concepts of play or acronyms/abbreviations that are daunting for a novice player to understand.

The other problem, I find, is the pacing and consequence of playing an MP game right away; if you make a mistake you often get punished in a big way because the other players will take advantage of that. Rightfully so, in a competative setting, of course, but it hampers training.
Additionally you only play 1 turn per game in 24 hours usually, increasing the interval as the game progresses.
This means the pacing is slow and deciding wether some plan you devised worked or not is often difficult or only revealed later on.

A lot of it comes down on information gathering too, I guess. The manual apparently isn't too useful as a reference to what does what even in vanilla, while CBM changes so much it easily overwhelms players like me.

I feel like I am stuck in the middle. There is this hugely appealing game, but how would I properly learn how to play it?

Thank you for your time!