.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old March 11th, 2010, 06:47 AM

Second Lieutenant

BigDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: new concept for MP

I think Abysia plays this role. It is terribly hard to defy Abysia for most of the first 2 years if you're a cold nation... Fine, I'll be Mictlan.
Old March 11th, 2010, 08:45 AM

First Lieutenant

13lackGu4rd is on a distinguished road

what you seem to be missing Hoplosternum is the map we plan to play on. Small Divide does not make for a good double bless rushing type of game. especially if it does have some pathing issues as suggested here. therefore neither Mictlan nor Lanka, nor Niefelheim and Helheim for that matter, are required to go for a dual bless sacred rush. with that in mind you can play the only pure blood nation(be it Mictlan or Lanka, doesn't really matter) and have plenty of time for a good blood economy, heck you might even get decent scales for a change, for instance, ever try Mictlan with Order and Growth instead of Turmoil and Death? Turmoil and Death will still be valid options obviously, for an all in blood game, but Order+Growth can give you some diversity from the pure blood game if that's what you'll want.

now this is for everyone, I made this map choice because it doesn't allow for some stupid dual bless rushes that EA is so famous for... instead I prefer a bit of a longer game despite the relatively small map, so the 3v3 mentality will have a chance to really kick in, and hopefully make for an interesting game. therefore when evaluating the nations you have to keep in mind the game settings, mainly the map. so calm down people, we're in for hopefully a long and fun ride!
Old March 11th, 2010, 04:07 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lackGu4rd View Post
now this is for everyone, I made this map choice because it doesn't allow for some stupid dual bless rushes that EA is so famous for... instead I prefer a bit of a longer game despite the relatively small map, so the 3v3 mentality will have a chance to really kick in, and hopefully make for an interesting game. therefore when evaluating the nations you have to keep in mind the game settings, mainly the map. so calm down people, we're in for hopefully a long and fun ride!
I agree with you on this. In so many games (FFA and some team games as well), noobs and even intermediate level players find themselves eliminated quickly by more experienced players, by rushes or rush strategies, my maps that are designed for almost immediate combat without much chance for build up (or are not designed with teams in mind), research, learning, team strategizing, communication, team bonding and so forth. It's a difficult balance, finding an existing map (custom or random maps do allow more control) that allows this while keeping the provinces per player reasonable enough as to avoid an extreme amount of end game MM.

If you need any more players to complete the 3x3, let me know. I would particularly enjoying playing in any theme based or RPG team game (to explore the concept more) where each team (as with nations) have their unique advantages and disadvantages (water vs land, giants vs humans, path vs path). As always I am available as an alternate also in any team game that needs a player (in support of the team concept).

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).
Old March 11th, 2010, 05:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hoplosternum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
what you seem to be missing Hoplosternum is the map we plan to play on. Small Divide does not make for a good double bless rushing type of game. especially if it does have some pathing issues as suggested here. therefore neither Mictlan nor Lanka, nor Niefelheim and Helheim for that matter, are required to go for a dual bless sacred rush. with that in mind you can play the only pure blood nation(be it Mictlan or Lanka, doesn't really matter) and have plenty of time for a good blood economy, heck you might even get decent scales for a change, for instance, ever try Mictlan with Order and Growth instead of Turmoil and Death? Turmoil and Death will still be valid options obviously, for an all in blood game, but Order+Growth can give you some diversity from the pure blood game if that's what you'll want.

Well you have won me over. If you still have a gap then I will play lanka
Old March 11th, 2010, 07:07 PM

First Lieutenant

13lackGu4rd is on a distinguished road

yeah I still counted on you Hoplosternum, thanks for changing your mind
thx for the offer Septimius Severus, seems like we're full now but if anybody has to drop for any reason than you'll be my go to guy for a sub.

so, does anybody know how to put fixed starting positions on a map? if so than can someone please do so for the map Small Divide? each team on a different side, powerhouse nation(Lanka and Niefelheim) in the middle perhaps with the other 2 at the north and south of their respective islands.
Old March 11th, 2010, 09:32 PM

BANNED USER

Frozen Lama is on a distinguished road

Well actually i think we should let teams decide where they want the teams placed.
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

How exciting.
Old March 12th, 2010, 03:26 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
so, does anybody know how to put fixed starting positions on a map? if so than can someone please do so for the map Small Divide? each team on a different side, powerhouse nation(Lanka and Niefelheim) in the middle perhaps with the other 2 at the north and south of their respective islands.
Specified or special starts can be added to most maps quite easily. Many maps also come with suggested or preset starting locations. Where these are, is dependent upon the map makers vision and whether the map was designed for general FFA, tournament elimination, team play, etc and the number of players. This info is in the .map file and may be indicated elsewhere.

Placing your own though allows an admin and players to turn most any map into a "team" map. Deciding where these may be though (there are certain factors that need to be taken into account) can be a lot of work in and of itself, especially on a large map or a map that was not designed for team play from the start.

The starting locations may be part of the admins vision for the game, or can be placed by a neutral third party (like the mapmaker). Once these starting locations have been identified, where each team and nation starts can be decided by the admin, left to the teams, or even decided at random (flip of a coin so to speak). Good luck with the game.

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).
Old March 13th, 2010, 03:04 PM

BANNED USER

Frozen Lama is on a distinguished road

So Blackguard are you doing anything about getting this started? attrition might start happening if this takes too long
Old March 13th, 2010, 04:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

militarist is on a distinguished road

That's true, about attrition. I read this thread with attention, but it would be good to see in a first post which nations are already taken.