This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old October 16th, 2000, 02:51 AM

Private

T is on a distinguished road
Default This Game...Plus Hint vs the Terrans

IG2....Not bad but Linear....Moo2....okay but in the end Stellar converters and Doom Stars was all you used...

This Game has So much potential it just kicks ***, okay some bugs but up untill now ive never been so impressed with the level of customisability in it!

Ive got some 3D-rendering stuff...I reckon I could get a good ST or SW Mod out...or maybe a Homeworld one!

BTW anyone use the Frigate Class Hull as an AMS Vessel (AMS= Anti-Missile Ship) its Really effective! just load it full of Point defence cannons and one Shield generator its good and small and makes the Terrans get obsolete fast there ships just lose out when thier main attack weapon is blown to peices!!!

I can't wait for this game and will be paying the Extra for shipping to England as soon as it comes out!!

"T"

------------------
Life is Precious, far to precious to squander being doped up out of your brain.
Old October 16th, 2000, 03:51 AM

First Lieutenant

Possum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: This Game...Plus Hint vs the Terrans

AGREED! I never played Moo2, but I played the living hell out of MOO, the original.

Your idea on creating an AA-Frigate is one I endorse heartily. I use those puppies *all* the time. I think the FG hull is almost ideal for most specialized support vessel designs, although I do tend to create larger Fleet Support vessels out of obsoleted DD hulls later in the game.
Old October 16th, 2000, 08:17 PM

Private

T is on a distinguished road

Hmmmmn Destroyers....I think they are useful Im wondering about them as MID Game Missile Batteries or Inter-System Patrol Ships...a Destroyer Armed Correctly can still beat a AI Light Cruiser and get a Cruiser up to 78% damage

Its all I suppose how you use them....One of my friends has made it with Some Anti-Ship Weapons not the BEST way I think if your gonna have AMS use the Entire Hull.....Hmmmn Battleship AMS!

Old October 16th, 2000, 09:26 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

Old DDs?

Hmmm. Depends what you're up against, and how evil you are. If you're feeling particularly sadistic and your borders include a few black hole systems, maybe you could put those engine-killing missiles on 'em. Slow down your foes, then run away and let gravity do the rest, and you're not tying up a particularly valuable ship to do this.

Maybe a minesweeper role would be fine, as well -- IIRC, the sweeper component is pretty small.

I've used DDs as long-range scouts (engines, 1-2x armor perhaps, a single seeker, a single PD, and the rest supply); they're cheap enough that by the time you're pumping out CAs, the loss of such a cheap DD isn't much of a loss at all. Useful for finding the remaining opponents when it's a large galaxy and there's somebody you haven't even seen yet.

------------------
-- The thing that goes bump in the night
Old October 17th, 2000, 02:25 AM

First Lieutenant

Cyrien is on a distinguished road

Don't rely on that AMS DD or frigate too much though... I used those on Terrans and was kicking but... right up until they pulled out the new fleets from somewhere back in their empire and wailed on my current attack fleets with the new Wave Motion Guns with large mounts they had just come out with.

If not for the 100 turn limit (not making a negative or positive comment here I merely live with it) then I think I could have turned that disaster around though.