Default Re: SE5 Demo Bug Reports

Is the population 0?
Old September 16th, 2006, 03:23 PM

Corporal

Xaren Hypr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Zereth said:
After installing, when I try to run the game, I get an error box that says "Range check error.". And switching to Mozilla to tell people about this generates another error saying "Access violation at address 0047F56B in module "se5.exe". Read of address 000000EC." EDIT: With a new box every time I switch off of it, and then I discovered that there were three copies of se5.exe running all of hwich were generating new error boxes when I missed with any of them and I had to kill them all from the task manager.
I'm also getting this error as well. Though I do not have three instances of se5.exe opening up, I still have to kill the process via task manager to stop the access violation popup window.

My Neo SEIV Code: A Se++ GdY $++ Fr C++++ Css+ Sf Ai++ Au M+ MpTFd/VFd S+ Ss++ ROS Pw- Fq Nd Rp G++ Mm++ Bb+

Old September 16th, 2006, 03:47 PM

Sergeant

Noble713 is on a distinguished road

No, it was there homeworld, pop ~ 3.5 billion. The good news was that after each attempted combat it remember my ships positions, allowing me to slowly inch my way to the planet. I assaulted another planet and used strategic combat, and there was no problem. However, that planet was slightly different as it had 1 or more weapons platforms for defense.

L+ GdY $? Fr! C- SdS T!+ Sf+ Tcp A% M++ MpM R!- Pw+ Fq-- Nd-- RP+ G++
Old September 16th, 2006, 04:03 PM

Corporal

Zereth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Xaren Hypr said:
I'm also getting this error as well. Though I do not have three instances of se5.exe opening up, I still have to kill the process via task manager to stop the access violation popup window.
I'd actually tried running it three times before I noticed the access tuff behind other windows.

EDIT: Using a third-party program to make it start using ony one of my dual-core processor's cores, I still get the range check error, and the access violations when I move focus off, but clicking on the rnage check gets me a menu where I can acutally do stuff! more reports to follow.

EDIT EDIT: I wouldn't say it's "more stable". It's "less unstable". Attempting to change didsplay driver or video mode gets me an access violation and nothing else, and I can change graphics detail and whatever that other option was, but trying to play gets me another accesss violation and the program folds up and dies, although it does do so neatly without an nedless fountain of access violation popups.
Old September 16th, 2006, 04:26 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

AMF is on a distinguished road

Ok, I didnt know there was a bug forum, so some of these are cross-posts. My apologies for any duplicate boringness.

I have limited myself to only those things which are clearly bugs or SE4 functionality that has disappeared.

Its not clear to me how I rename planets.

Would be very nice to have an abbreviated facilities view - for those planets with more than ten or so facilities, its annoying to have to scroll paste a bunch of the same ones to see what is on the planet. Why not just title them -Research facility x 10- etc. Ditto for ship components

For the item list window (bottom middle) the back to list button lights up, even when there is only one item in the list. Seems wrong, (a bit misleading)

Big exploit/Bug: on the quadrant map, outgoing warp lines are indicated, even when you havent yet seen the sectors that contain them (in the systems). For example, if I go into a new system, and I havent explored any sectors there yet, I can still go to the quadrant map and see how many outgoing warp lines it has, and interpolate their general sector location as well.

In the 2D view, the empire flag graphics come in front of other graphics - this makes figuring out which planet is selected pretty tough sometimes. Can the highlighted hex borders be made to be in front of the flag graphics, to make it easier? Or at least make them a different color than white so theyre easier to see.

When designing fighters (and probably ships and units as well) when you have shift-clicked on a component, and you want to go to -next page- you can click the next page button. Thats good. But you cant click the ‘middle or other decks button to go there. SO, youre placing a lot of engines on a fighter, and you run out of spaces on the upper decks, so you want to go to the middle decks, but you cant without going back to the component section, and then going to select the deck, and then going back to once again pick up the engine component. Very awkward.

The RETURN key isnt enabled!??! ARGHHH! For ship design, and a lot of other things, return key should = OK. Unless Im the only keyboard jockey out there.

When constructing units, the option -one turns worth- was very useful (pretty much the only thing I ever used for constructing units). As far as I can tell, that is gone now. I think that it is automatic however (ie: if you set a planet to construct 50 fighters, it will construct one turns worth eac turn until it gets to fifty, rather than construct 50 at once on turn X). But still, the option to do -one turns worth- was very helpful.

In SE4, from the log window, you could go to the news item, and do relevant things, and when you were done, you would return to the log window (not all cases, but most). This is no longer the case. Given that there is a much longer log window than before, it means that I am starting up the log window many times each turn. Again, bodes ill for the late game. Or I am just not doing something right (highly possible)

Again, sorry for cross-posting annoyances.

Thanks,.

AMF
Old September 16th, 2006, 04:45 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Will is on a distinguished road

Ok, I haven't really done enough to get any bugs/errors yet, but I do have a requests/annoyances list:
  • Tooltips need to have a delay time set. As it is now, if you have them turned on, if you so much as move your cursor near something, a tooltip pops up, usually blocking something you want to see.
  • Ship design window needs some work. The dialogs for filtering, setting name, type, strategy, etc. look pretty, they are cumbersome as dialogs for everything. Filtering, since it would likely be used more often, needs to have a faster interface... I would suggest a drop-down selection. The others, since they will likely be used only once, could remain dialogs, but could still be improved (a way to type in a design name without the dialog?).
  • Click-and-drop for designing is slow. Allow double clicking a component to auto-add or auto-remove from the design.
  • Frames/second display needs to be for only the system and combat displays. For other windows, it blocks some information.
  • On satellites, both Ordnance Storage and Small Ordnance Storage can be used, but both are the same size; and the small only provides only a fifth the storage.
Old September 16th, 2006, 04:58 PM

Sergeant

Wade is on a distinguished road

In 3D mode I used mouse wheel to scroll/zoom all the way out. Now the top portion of the system grid is cut off and vanished untill I zoom in a little. The vanished portion goes down to where system modifiers text ends.
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:14 PM

Sergeant

Wade is on a distinguished road

In Research: Some "Current Level:1" Technologies show "expected results" of what will be next while others show what I already have.

Examples: Light Hull Construction shows "expected results" shows what I have. Construction shows what is expected (fighters and mines). Perhaps this should show level 0?I have Rock Colonization 1(it shows "expected results"? why?) but I can still spend on this. Why?

Research sreen needs a complete overhaul.
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:15 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

It's not a bug. Ships and colonization have tech levels in SE:V. Although the little pics should show what level the expectant result is to avoid confusion.
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:22 PM

Sergeant

Noble713 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wade said:
In 3D mode I used mouse wheel to scroll/zoom all the way out. Now the top portion of the system grid is cut off and vanished untill I zoom in a little. The vanished portion goes down to where system modifiers text ends.
Yeah, I wasn't thinking very clearly. Now I use the mosewheel to get a good angle, and then move the mouse "down" to back out the view until you see the whole system.

L+ GdY $? Fr! C- SdS T!+ Sf+ Tcp A% M++ MpM R!- Pw+ Fq-- Nd-- RP+ G++