.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old February 20th, 2021, 08:23 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Issues with scn 19 Goch-Calcar Road

I would draw attention to the scenario write up which gives BIG clues to why it is set up the way it is

Quote:

After fighting through the Reichswald, the Canadian First Army advanced on Goch and Calcar as part of its bid to reach the Rhine River. The 4th Brigade of the Canadian 2nd Division was given the task of cutting the Goch-Calcar Road. This was accomplished on 19 February by the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry and the Essex Scottish Regiments. This Canadian advance could not be tolerated by the Germans since it cut off a major supply route to German forces further north. Accordingly, the XLVII Panzer Korps counterattacked on the night of 19-20 February with the objective of recapturing the Goch-Calcar Road. After a harrowing night of fighting between the tough Canadians and the seasoned Panzertruppen of the Panzer Lehr and 116. Panzer Divisions, the road remained under Canadian control.*
Your mission is throw the Canadians back and recapture the road between Goch and Kalkar. You have at your disposal 40-odd tanks of the XLVII Panzer Korps and six companies of veteran Panzergrenadiere. You also have a few of the very rare "Uhu" Panthers equipped with top-secret night vision sights. Use them well!*
Canadian resistance will be strong. They are veteran troops who overran one of our Fallschirmjaeger battalions in their initial attack. You will face at least two battalions of Canadian infantry.*
Is that clear enough as to why this is set up as an assault where the "defenders" are set to advance ??

It's a German counter-attack on advancing Canadians which is why there are no defences and both sides are moving toward one another which is very creative use of the game system.

For more clarity should anyone else play this down the road I will change

Battle Type: German Assault vs Canadian Defend*

to

Battle Type: German night Counter-Attack on a Canadian Advance.*

FUTHER.... I did discover a problem with this scenario that will be corrected when we release the next update. The German HQ, two trucks and a HT start the game on a grey border hex which means they are removed at start up. Now corrected but anyone can do that now with the in game editor. Simply load it in the editor and find the grey hex units and move them onto the actual map area then save the scenario in slot 19

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; February 20th, 2021 at 09:13 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old February 20th, 2021, 04:22 PM

Major

Thanked 1,053 Times in 619 Posts
RetLT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Issues with scn 19 Goch-Calcar Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Unfortunately, I cannot turn the clock back 20 years

I would like to turn the clock back 20 years for many reasons not related to the game.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RetLT For This Useful Post:
Old February 20th, 2021, 08:39 PM

Corporal

Anthony_Scott is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Issues with scn 19 Goch-Calcar Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetLT View Post
Quote:
Unfortunately, I cannot turn the clock back 20 years

I would like to turn the clock back 20 years for many reasons not related to the game.
You're not kidding with comment comrade.
Old February 23rd, 2021, 11:45 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Exclamation Re: issues in scn 35 HG In Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetLT View Post
Quote:
Did you skip 34 or was it OK
I skipped up because I remember not liking it. I just opened it up and saw the Brit flag for both sides so I will look further.

If anyone wants to send me scenarios to play test I can stop being petty about finding minor errors.

I need something to keep me busy in quarantine.
Look for a number of changes to that scenario in the next release. The basics are the same but a lot of little details have been improved using the new tools we've put in since it was originally built

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old March 7th, 2021, 03:35 AM

Major

Default Issues in Scn 21 Jadgtigers in the West

1. Bridge hexes at 35,17 and 30,18 are shallow water.

2. AI never plots B-26 level bombers

3. Graphic for H1 and H2 (B-26s) are wrong (See attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b26.png
Views:	81
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	16332  
Old March 7th, 2021, 08:16 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Default Re: Issues in Scn 21 Jadgtigers in the West

OK. I will look into that

Old March 7th, 2021, 10:27 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Default Re: Issues in Scn 21 Jadgtigers in the West

1 / Fixed

2/ The problem with those is the scenario is too short to allow the AI to plot the level bombers with the games built-in delay for level bombers. With the delay, by the time the AI decides what to attack with the delay added the game is over. At best on a "good day" the strike *might* arrive on the last turn but the simulation I ran showed the AI was on an 8 turn countdown to the B-26 airstrike on turn 10 of a 14 turn game so my choices are give it a predetermined target or change the Level bombers to Fighter bombers and that shortens the call in to attack delay keeping the attack in the AI's hand. EDIT.. found the perfect solution. French Personal of RAF No. 342 Squadron operated Douglas A-20C Havocs and those Havocs in the Brit OOB are ground attack and now there are French versions in the French OOB as FB so the delay for FB is manageable for the AI in a 14 turn game.

3 / Fixed. The photo is a Baltimore and the OOB that has evolved since that scenario was built does not have B-25's in French service ( I'm looking into that. It appears they did....) but it does have Baltimores so now they are correctly Baltimores and they DID have pre-planned targets and still do

Last edited by DRG; March 7th, 2021 at 12:26 PM..
Old March 10th, 2021, 12:15 AM

Major

Default Issues in Scn 22 Twilight of the Tigers

1. The following hexes are wooden bridges but do not show a bridge on the map:

Since there are no roads leading up to them I suspect they were supposed to be fords.

2. The ford at 49,35 is inside a wooden building.

3. The railway line runs in a trench. This could simulate a sunken road but there is no height difference between the trench and the adjacent hexes.

4. The AI does not plot the TU-2 level bombers. I would plot them strike on turn 0.
Old March 10th, 2021, 08:20 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Default Re: Issues in Scn 22 Twilight of the Tigers

I'll look into this

EDIT

Those issues have been corrected. NOTE TO SCENARIO DESIGNERS do not give the AI unplotted bombers to use in a scenario under 20 turns.

These early scenarios were created before we bumped up the delay for calling in bomber support and that's why they are not showing up in those early scenarios.

The AI needs time to decide where the best target is and in short scenarios by the time the AI picks a target and the countdown delay ends, so has the scenario so the AI DOES use them but it needs a longer than <20 turn scenario so do so properly.

We have TU-2's as UC 44 FB now so I changed the level bomber versions to those and the AI will have time to plot them and I would rather keep that random factor in the scenario rather than pre-plotting.

The "bridge fords" trick was the only way to add a dedicated ford in the early days. When we added the ability to edit terrain height fords could be created at will. The game has evolved over 2 decades

Last edited by DRG; March 11th, 2021 at 08:50 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old March 14th, 2021, 03:30 AM

Major

Default Issues in Scn 24 Coordination

1. Republican 65mm guns O0 and L0 use different icons than the other 65mm guns. They look like long barreled AT guns while the others look like infantry guns.

2. The text mentions the first use of Molotov cocktails but neither side's units have any.

3. The AI does not use the Nationalist SB-2s even though the scenario is 30 turns long.
The Following User Says Thank You to RetLT For This Useful Post: