.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 2nd, 2010, 01:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

militarist is on a distinguished road
Default can commander with no magic paths with slave matrix be used as a comm.slave?

Subj
Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:39 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: can commander with no magic paths with slave matrix be used as a comm.slave?

They won't reduce fatigue if that's what you were trying to do. The only exception is the Theurg Communicant. It doesn't show through it's attributes, it's hardcoded in the unit ID.
Emergency comic relief
The Following User Says Thank You to lch For This Useful Post:
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:22 AM

Second Lieutenant

militarist is on a distinguished road
Default Re: can commander with no magic paths with slave matrix be used as a comm.slave?

What about Seren? I think it should, as they have a random magic point?
I though about communion with 2 reasons - one is to reduce fatigue with less fragile slaves in case I will be able to forge cheap matrixes, another mostly to buff slaves with magic they don't have and then send them for fighting.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:46 AM

General

Randoms on magic paths are being evaluated on unit creation. Once this is finished, a unit either has magic powers or not. There is no other attribute which tags a unit as a magic user. So no, units without magic powers at all won't reduce fatigue.

They will receive self-buffs as Communion Slaves through slave matrizes, yes. The mage has to stop casting after a while, though, either by fleeing or engaging in melee, or the slaves will never act on their own. Another tactic that somebody wrote about is to just power up the slaves with Fire Shield, Astral Shield and other passive defense spells as "blockers" that prevent enemies from reaching the mages behind their defense line.
Emergency comic relief
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:34 AM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lch View Post
They will receive self-buffs as Communion Slaves through slave matrizes, yes.
Really? Are you sure? I thought they just ignored the matrix completely and didn't become slaves at all. If that is true it opens up some quite cool possibilities.

You could buff up any kind of thuggish commanders with a misc slot. Even including summons like Amphitere, sleepers or bane lords or whatever.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 08:10 AM

Second Lieutenant

Verjigorm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The mage has to stop casting after a while, though, either by fleeing or engaging in melee, or the slaves will never act on their own.
Put a bow on them is the best idea. Running makes the force move extremely slow and engaging in melee isn't always the best idea. 5 buffs )if using a master matrix), Fire Rearmost with a nice bow.

This type of communion can be very nice if you have a good number of thugs to pair it with and you can get buffs on them that you wouldn't normally be able to put on and you can save gems/fatigue costs of high-fatigue AoE spell versions.

Fatigue costs can be rather brutal, unfortunately. This makes Summon Earthpower and Reinvigoration great additions, but you have to be able to keep the blood slave(s) alive during the buff cycle. This technique can be foiled by mass AoE... Taking out your blood slaves before the mage can reinvigorate the communicants can trash your well-laid plan.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 08:46 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
They will receive self-buffs as Communion Slaves through slave matrizes, yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
Really? Are you sure? I thought they just ignored the matrix completely and didn't become slaves at all. If that is true it opens up some quite cool possibilities.

You could buff up any kind of thuggish commanders with a misc slot. Even including summons like Amphitere, sleepers or bane lords or whatever.
Lol, this is just lch posting some mis-leading info in order to try and provoke me into a rage, so that I then look like the sort of person who easily becomes angry, (which most women hate) thereby putting lch ahead in the race to woo our beloved Kest.

I'm sorry to disappoint you lch, but it won't work, as I am a picture of calm and tranquillity, and I refuse to fall into your clever trap.

A mass group of Bane Lord thugs with slave matrixes all being buffed to uber status by a retreating Communion Master is a nice thought, but to be part of a communion you need a magic path. Except in rare cases such as Pythium Theurgs.

It is the latter case which I believe lch was actually referring to when talking about the slaves receiving buffs. And he only phrased it in a confusing way like he did to improve his love life. But ha ha, you failed lch, the race is still on, and you've gained nothing! Try again my friend
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calahan For This Useful Post:
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:03 AM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahan View Post
Lol, this is just lch posting some mis-leading info in order to try and provoke me into a rage, so that I then look like the sort of person who easily becomes angry, (which most women hate) thereby putting lch ahead in the race to woo our beloved Kest.

I'm sorry to disappoint you lch, but it won't work, as I am a picture of calm and tranquillity, and I refuse to fall into your clever trap.

A mass group of Bane Lord thugs with slave matrixes all being buffed to uber status by a retreating Communion Master is a nice thought, but to be part of a communion you need a magic path. Except in rare cases such as Pythium Theurgs.
Ah, yes, I think that the thread that I was referring to used Theurgs for this "communion slave wall" tactic instead. I tried searching for it, but I didn't find it. Sorry for the misinformation! My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives. Plus, Burnsaber talked me into it. This is all your fault! People should just learn to create test games on their own to answer their questions... Didn't you want to write a Wiki article about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahan View Post
It is the latter case which I believe lch was actually referring to when talking about the slaves receiving buffs. And he only phrased it in a confusing way like he did to improve his love life. But ha ha, you failed lch, the race is still on, and you've gained nothing! Try again my friend
My love life is prospering and fulfilled, I'd say, and Maude is nodding and gnawing in agreement.
Emergency comic relief
Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:59 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Didn't you want to write a Wiki article about this?
Yeah, once things free up a bit more for me time-wise as the summer unfolds (and now I've tested editing the Wiki as well), I'll look into fleshing out the Wiki with some useful info. A few prods and pokes from yourself now and again would probably help remind me too

Quote:
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Sorry, I haven't got the cash spare to hire your pretty $20 whore tongue
Quote:
Plus, Burnsaber talked me into it.
How dare you blame the one true profit! Unbeliever!!! My savior will smite you down now. SMITE HIM NOW MY PROFIT!!!
Quote:
People should just learn to create test games on their own to answer their questions...
That'll be the day
Quote:
My love life is prospering... Maude is... gnawing.
Kinky, but that has to leave a mark surely!
The Following User Says Thank You to Calahan For This Useful Post:
Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:56 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
Quote:
The mage has to stop casting after a while, though, either by fleeing or engaging in melee, or the slaves will never act on their own.
Put a bow on them is the best idea.

Crossbow is better, in many instances. Some are 1/3 fire rate, which can be used time scripts.