Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old September 5th, 2002, 08:18 AM

Private

Hakan is on a distinguished road
Default Can I Upgrade Weapon Platforms?

Hi,

Maybe I'm just blind, but I can't see any way to upgrade obsolete Weapon Platforms (say, those equipped with Capital Ship Missile I) to new ones (like my newly designed ones with CSM III). I even can't scrap them, all I find in the menus is to "jettison cargo" and rebuild new ones.

If I'm indeed blind, can anyone please point me to the appropiate page in the manuals? If there really is no way, how does everyone else handle WP's?

Regards,
Hakan
Old September 5th, 2002, 08:33 AM

Corporal

AGoetz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can I Upgrade Weapon Platforms?

To my knowledge, no units (Troops, Fighters, Mines, Drones and Weapons Platforms) can be upgraded or recycled, just Jettisoned (Instant Destroy).

As to how I handle WPs - as I've only played solo (and mainly unmodded) to date, I don't build them.
Old September 5th, 2002, 08:54 AM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road

Agoetz is right. You have to jettison and rebuild. Thats the price you pay for all that zero-maintenence firepower.
Old September 5th, 2002, 05:59 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Only units that can be deployed to space can be scrapped. Satellites and fighters, and I think drones, too, but I haven't tried. Once they are in space they appear in the scrap/analyze/mothball window. I've been asking for the option to scrap stuff in planetary cargo since before the official release.
Old January 5th, 2003, 01:22 PM

Sergeant

couslee is on a distinguished road

Finally an answer. Been looking for hours on the forums to find this question/answer.

I guess the no-maint view point is the best way to look at it. I tried scrapping them, deploying in space and dropping them off on an uninhabitated plant that I may later colonize. All to no avail. Only thing I havn't tried is scrapping my transport with it onboard VS with it not onboard and see if any credit is given. Since I only have the demo and have only really built one transport, I am not gonna waste my ship on it. I guess I could save&test.

BTW, I love my little transport. I have 3 satellite bays and 3 cargo bays. I can launch sats in combat, carry people, WPs, whatever. Now, so far I have only carried 3 sat into combat so not sure if I will only be able to launch 4 sat, or 12 at one time, as the ship got called into services before I could pick up more. That an my crappy multi-scout are a two man fleet that is irritation some repitilian race that made the mistake of not heeding my "get out of here" demand.
Old January 5th, 2003, 03:41 PM

Colonel

Arkcon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by couslee:
Finally an answer. Been looking for hours on the forums to find this question/answer.
I grant you, the forum is big. But that is a very common question -- see sig link.
Old January 5th, 2003, 04:52 PM

Sergeant

couslee is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the Top 20 link. I have it bookmarked now.

Another issue I found, and this may be only in the demo (my CD is not here yet), is the apparent penalty for building a space yard. For the purpose of this topic, I am referring to the facility you build on the planet, not the ship component.

In my current demo game, my race setting are such that a planet without a space yard has a construction ability of 2000. My homeworld tho only has an ability of 3600. I feel this is wrong. I have the construction ability increased to 125% (+25% construction) AND the primary trait the also increases construction by 25%. A space yard is suppose to provide you with 2000 construction per turn, but I am only seeing a 1600 increase. not only is it less than the stated 2k, but my racial traits seem to have been ingored as well. Can someone explain this?
(remember, this is the demo Version. If it is not this way in the full Version, plz say so. thx)

[ January 05, 2003, 14:54: Message edited by: couslee ]
Old January 5th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

For a planet, you only get the base rate if you don't have a spaceyard.

So when building a level one spaceyard, you are effectively buying only the ability to build ships.

The 3600 build rate would be from the following:
2k for the yard, +80% for bonuses = 3600

(25%(H.I.)+25%(SY skill)+30%(population) = 80% bonus)
Old January 5th, 2003, 05:39 PM

BANNED USER

Gryphin is on a distinguished road

Suicide Junkie,
Am I correct in inferring that a Level II or III shipyard will increase build rate for
everything built there except facilities? Now that I think about it, yes it does.

Is there a mod that will increase the build rate of facilities? Somehow I doubt it.
Old January 5th, 2003, 06:08 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Gryphin:
Suicide Junkie,
Am I correct in inferring that a Level II or III shipyard will increase build rate for
everything built there except facilities? Now that I think about it, yes it does.

Is there a mod that will increase the build rate of facilities? Somehow I doubt it.
A little unclear on what you are asking Gryph. Space Yard contruction rate applies to everything built on that planet, including facilities. The determining factor of how long it takes to build a facility is how many resources it takes to build it, just like a ship or a unit. Ships and facilities however can only ever be built one at a time. SO even if the Space Yard rate is enough to build two in one turn you will only get one. That's hardcoded.

Is that what you were asking?

Geoschmo