.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old October 15th, 2012, 06:07 AM

Sergeant

Olm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Waaargs without end (Upload pretenders)

Yes, I saw Helheims great army last turn. Half had a mind to jump in my Treeant with an army (via portal stone) my Asynja, the Shishis, some more Air mages and a ton of Druids.
Luckily such notion leave me fast and I usually continue my rather defensive and save playstyle.

Your backstabbing did not much damage Tiavals, in fact I don't think I lost a single Druid to it. And Niefelheim gave me some of your Water Gems when he surrendered.
Observed some of your Dai Onis against Hinnom. They were a fearful sight then. Could imagine Helheim having a hard time against you. And I would probably have entered the fight 3-4 turns from now.
I still think Atlantis could have achieved something in this game. But for a war against Atlantis I had 200 Water Gems stored for an unbreakable Sea of Ice.
Old October 15th, 2012, 02:07 PM

Sergeant

P3D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olm View Post
I still think Atlantis could have achieved something in this game. But for a war against Atlantis I had 200 Water Gems stored for an unbreakable Sea of Ice.
Yeah, that's the main problem with playing water nations. You could be put out of the game way too easy.
Old October 15th, 2012, 05:59 PM

Private

shonuf is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Just wanted to say I'm really sorry for dropping away like that. My laptop got drowned in beer, but I still should have let you know I couldn't play. Sorry.
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:33 PM

First Lieutenant

YellowCactus is on a distinguished road

If I had to drown, it would be in beer...
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:24 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonuf View Post
Hi,

Just wanted to say I'm really sorry for dropping away like that. My laptop got drowned in beer, but I still should have let you know I couldn't play. Sorry.
Just out of curiosity: What did you hope to achieve by attacking me? You couldn't really expect to win that war. And we had been neighbours and almost friends before. I even gifted a province to you. So what was the point?
Old October 16th, 2012, 05:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

HoleyDooley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

Just out of curiosity: What did you hope to achieve by attacking me? You couldn't really expect to win that war. And we had been neighbours and almost friends before. I even gifted a province to you. So what was the point?
Olm, your question blows my mind, as its basically the same reason you won the game. The fact you need to ask it, is mind blowing.
Old October 16th, 2012, 05:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

HoleyDooley is on a distinguished road

Oooops forgot, grats on the win. well played.
Old October 16th, 2012, 06:08 AM

Private

shonuf is on a distinguished road

Well, it was my first MP game so I was kind of figuring things out as I went along. But I figured you had a winning position, and I wanted to get into a war to see what kind of stuff tactics I could expect to face. Also short of a gangdown, it didn't seem like you could be stopped. And I hoped to distract your forces from Niefelheim, to give him some respite.

And I suppose I did kind of overestimate the power of my Yakshas, which I came to regret quite quickly when the Gifts started raining.

But I have ordered a new computer, stationary this time. So I hope to try for some revenge in a couple of weeks.

Well played anyway!
Old October 16th, 2012, 07:08 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleyDooley View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

Olm, your question blows my mind, as its basically the same reason you won the game. The fact you need to ask it, is mind blowing.
I did not win the game, unless you all agree to that. I was in the best position, but the outcome was far from decided.

And I don't understand what you want to say about the reason for attacking me. Sure, if a nation gets too big one should think about attacking it. But a solitary attack by a single, small nation has no chance of success and is as such quite futile. Niefel made the same mistake. He told me he attacked, because I was too large. But that achieves nothing.
Had Niefelheim, Kailasa and Sauromatia worked together and coordinated their plans, they probably could have had a chance. But like this it was futile. Diplomacy is key in this game! Thats something beginners underestimate.

And there is always the other way: Ally with the large nation. Why not a joined victory? I am not the one to battle my longtime allies in the end, just to have my name as the solitary winner of the game.
Old October 16th, 2012, 07:36 AM

First Lieutenant

YellowCactus is on a distinguished road

Nief was prompted by allies who did not show up on the battlefield. Also, Gift of Heaven saved your bacon. It was a great game, I learned alot. I still have 10 succubus and 600 bloodslaves with 30 blood commanders. If Ulm, Sauro, or Heilheim had gone 100% to war against you, I would reclaim my lands.

I did gift my gems to Marvingi a couple turns back in an effort to reach a peace settlement, but he wasn't buying. The problem with these big games is that by turn 50, if you are doing well, it takes like 2 hours to plan a turn. So, some people are not willing to play things through if they don't feel like they have much to gain.

I am willing to call Olm the victor. But I refute his claim that going to war with him was a mistake. I did my best...and fell short...This time!