This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old October 26th, 2001, 06:46 PM

Private

Commander G2 is on a distinguished road
Default Suggested Improvement to Intelligence Ops

I sent the following suggestion to 'se4@malfador.com', but I am sure others here could elaborate and help add more to my suggestion. My attempt here is to improve the Intelligence side of the game so it is more than a point versus point system where the bigger empire can easily crush a little empire. It will add more strategy and risk to the Intelligence side as well:

I am going to start a thread on this in the Forum, but I thought I would submit it to you via email as well so you can start thinking about this. I have suggested some of this before, but I have thought this through a bit more and want to re-present it. I really want to make the Intelligence part of the game viable so that I am not inclined to turn it off in any game I play. I really like SEIV! Keep up the good work!

Make all intelligence operations target ships or planets. Resource stealling would apply to a particular planet and the extent of the damage would be limited to:

Max( Planetary Queue Limit X 1.5,
Resource Production on Planet + Stored Resource * Planetary Storage Capacity / (Global Storage Capacity-50K+1) + Min(Global Stored, 50K)/ Number of Colonies
)

Where the Max function is the larger of two numbers and the Min function is the smaller of two numbers.

(The first term applies to what resource would be available at hand to provide the production queue with the necessary resources to conduct an emergency build. Shipyards should be guarded by troops).

You could allow them to target ships as well I suppose since repair ships and shipyard ships use resources as well.

For ships you could use the formula: Resources to Maintain + Shipyard capacity x 1.5 + Resources used to conduct repairs that turn.

Drop the Shipyard from the formulas if the queue is on hold (closed access). Players could use Queue on Hold to restrict damage from repeated attacks.

Modify success defending intelligence against planets based on troops present and to a lessor extent security components or troops on ships in orbit.

Modify success defending against intelligence against ships based on security components on a ship. This would make this component much more valuable. To a lessor extent add troops in a cargo hold as well.

Failing at an intelligence operations should jeoprodise your intelligence network in someway (lose of points from outstanding projects or other operations against the same target). Security forces should have a chance each turn to foil a developing intelligence attack.

Uncompleted projects should loose a percentage of their points every turn (prevent building up counter intelligence stockpiles).

Consider removing counter intelligence all together and rely completely on troops and security components. Or allow counter intelligence to be allocated to fleets and planets (big change). I do not oppose the counter intelligence operation itself as long as you implement some sort of decay value to prevent saving up points. Counter Intelligence could be viewed as blanket protection divided by the number of defending ships or number of defending planets. If you do this division, you might consider dividing by the square root of the number of ships or planets, otherwise the division would kill the effectiveness too much. Blanket protection for a large empire would be very costly (just as it would cost the USA much more than Isreal to achieve the same amount of coverage).

Stealing Technology would work on any planet or ship and be limited to technology employed in units and facilities or on the ship itself. Exception: Shipyards would have available any technology for all designs.

Using security and troops to prevent intelligence will allow small empires to defend themselves better against juggernauts who can rip them apart quickly using intelligence. It even gives a race an option of conducting no intelligence and purely defending against it with security forces.

This will add more strategy to the intelligence game as players probe for weak points in an empire. This would prevent players from robbing an empire completely of all their assets if a race is willing to buy security components or troops. Players can choose to only defend against intelligence (some races might think it is dishonarable). Races that have not researched intelligence will have alternate means of defense.

Finally, add Advanced traits that affect Intelligence:
Collective Conciousness - near immunity to most intelligence operations, side affect: magnify happiness shifts by a factor and magnify the limit by how much they can change in one turn. Or instead, treat every system where they have a colony as one big system for figuring out the modifiers.
Absolute Loyalty - near immunity to most intelligence operations (especially sabatoge and puppet political parties).

I am sure others on the forum will elaborate on this.
Old October 26th, 2001, 10:45 PM

Colonel

Q is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suggested Improvement to Intelligence Ops

"Finally, add Advanced traits that affect Intelligence:
Collective Conciousness - near immunity to most intelligence operations, side affect: magnify happiness shifts by a factor and magnify the limit by how much they can change in one turn. Or instead, treat every system where they have a colony as one big system for figuring out the modifiers.
Absolute Loyalty - near immunity to most intelligence operations (especially sabatoge and puppet political parties)."

That would be great IMO. But I would already be happy if the existing ability "Change Bad Intelligence Chance - System" really worked!
For the rest of your proposal I think it's too complicated and would not add very much to the game. But that's just my opinion.
However, I would like an AI intel project file were you could specify the intel projects for each race individually (like you do it for the research projects).
Old November 3rd, 2001, 12:15 AM

Corporal

Magus38 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suggested Improvement to Intelligence Ops

quote:
Originally posted by Commander G2:
Make all intelligence operations target ships or planets. Resource stealling would apply to a particular planet and the extent of the damage would be limited to:

Max( Planetary Queue Limit X 1.5,
Resource Production on Planet + Stored Resource * Planetary Storage Capacity / (Global Storage Capacity-50K+1) + Min(Global Stored, 50K)/ Number of Colonies
)

To make this universal would involve the player in too much micro management, imo, but perhaps a balance could be struck.

quote:

Modify success defending intelligence against planets based on troops present and to a lessor extent security components or troops on ships in orbit.

Modify success defending against intelligence against ships based on security components on a ship. This would make this component much more valuable. To a lessor extent add troops in a cargo hold as well.

This is an excellent idea and should definitely be implemented in some form.

quote:

Failing at an intelligence operations should jeoprodise your intelligence network in someway (lose of points from outstanding projects or other operations against the same target). Security forces should have a chance each turn to foil a developing intelligence attack.

Another good idea. An example of how to implement this well would be MOO II. In MOO II one simply had agents killed off by enemy counter intelligence at a greater or lesser pace all the time. Sometimes an enemy would launch a serious crackdown, at which point you risked getting all of your expensive agents killed and were forced to send them into hiding to maximize their chances for survival.

quote:

Uncompleted projects should loose a percentage of their points every turn (prevent building up counter intelligence stockpiles).

This is another great idea, another must. Intelligence projects are typically time sensitive, preparations for their execution not being a matter of public record. Therefor the situation should decay rapidly once the agent no longer has things personally in hand.

quote:

Consider removing counter intelligence all together and rely completely on troops and security components. Or allow counter intelligence to be allocated to fleets and planets (big change). I do not oppose the counter intelligence operation itself as long as you implement some sort of decay value to prevent saving up points. Counter Intelligence could be viewed as blanket protection divided by the number of defending ships or number of defending planets. If you do this division, you might consider dividing by the square root of the number of ships or planets, otherwise the division would kill the effectiveness too much. Blanket protection for a large empire would be very costly (just as it would cost the USA much more than Isreal to achieve the same amount of coverage).

I would not get rid of Counter Intelligence altogether. This said, however, I do think it is a good idea to have it modified by various other factors and potentially keyed to empire size.

quote:

Stealing Technology would work on any planet or ship and be limited to technology employed in units and facilities or on the ship itself. Exception: Shipyards would have available any technology for all designs.

Using security and troops to prevent intelligence will allow small empires to defend themselves better against juggernauts who can rip them apart quickly using intelligence. It even gives a race an option of conducting no intelligence and purely defending against it with security forces.

Security stations on ships and garrisons (possibly a new facility) of troops stationed locally should certainly affect the chances of an Op to succeed, but should not be the sole determinant. Again, I think CI cannot be dispensed with.

quote:

Finally, add Advanced traits that affect Intelligence:
Absolute Loyalty - near immunity to most intelligence operations (especially sabatoge and puppet political parties).

This is a big one and would add immensely to the existing system. Using MOOII as an example again, its' forms of government had a huge impact on both the economy and intelligence. A good example was Democracy (other choices were Dictatorship, Unification, etc.) which offered great economic incentives while leaving the society all the more vulnerable to intelligence attack. To a degree the "Culture" modifier accomplishes this now and could be tweaked to provide more of an effect.

All in all, there are some good well considered ideas here. Let's take the author's advice and debate them.

------------------
Going along with the conditions of the world, without hindrance. Conditions of the world going along with conditions of the world, going along is a condition of the world when going along - this is called without hindrance."

[This message has been edited by Magus38 (edited 02 November 2001).]
Going along with the conditions of the world, without hindrance. Conditions of the world going along with conditions of the world, going along is a condition of the world when going along - this is called without hindrance.