.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old May 6th, 2010, 05:54 PM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Legendary Ordeals

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pantokrator

The Cleansing was in vain! The Slumbering Ones have awakened and a new era of terror will surely be brough upon this realm. These news were brought by a horrible messenger and his arrival has saddened me so..

You see, when the Sign of the Slumbering Ones got invoked, I sent my most trusted Celestial, Arimiel, throug the dimensions to spy upon the Horrors on unreality. But not even his glorious mind could resist the gaze of the ancient spawns. He is now utterly and completely mad beyond any reason as his soul constantly burns with unbeing and bears items of strange might. He will instill terror and madness upon his rampage through this realm. His divine chariot is also missing and I fear deeply of what might have come of it..

It hurts me to see my noblest courier in this state. He is truly mighty and benefits from the heretical blessings of the slumbering ones. But his madness makes him erratic and one aspiring to be a god should surely be able to take him down and bring peace to his burning soul. I will reward his saviour with a shower of boons and he will be worth a great deal more in my eyes.

->

Let's cut to the chase. Here he is:

-->

Aramiel has now descended from beyond dimensions and into Lanka. He moves randomly with a 1d10 dice (with each province connection counting as one option on the dice). If the result is greater than the number of connections in the province, he will build a lab and then teleport to another random province in the map in the next turn.

Aramiel is mad, but not stupid. He will not attack head-on into armies or forts (issuing a re-roll if such situation is rolled). This also makes his presence just annoying (because he is basically just a very tough raider). His madness causes him to change tactics constantly and he will fight differently in each combat and might even start the battle in some other form than his first astral form.

Aramiel is the prophet of madness and sorrow, the burning angel, the false shephard and he will desctruction and madness upon provinces he visits (usually a remote event that kills pop or causes unrest or misfortune). He also might not be always alone as his presence will bring the attention of the cults that formed when the Sing of the Slumbering Elders appeared..

The reward for killing him (note that he has to be actually killed, banishing him to hell/kokytos/disco dimension does not count) is a free boon of each possible type (a'k'a items, gold, gems, information, free ritual castings and the opportunity to hold the arena fight) and +2 boons to total.

(Aramiel was originally a lot tougher but rewarded a conquest point, although I really don't like changin stuff mid game, awarding conquest points for ordeals from him was a stupid idea. It would be a really unclimatic finish to win the game due to conquest point from this kind of event so I decided against it sometime about 10-20 turns ago. Anyways, the point of this tale:

So now there are no conquest point ordeals unlike advertised at the start of the game. This was the only one I designed)

And yes, he has a theme song like the previous "monster" event. Heavy metal is my muse.

Last edited by Burnsaber; May 6th, 2010 at 06:13 PM..
Old May 7th, 2010, 06:31 PM

Colonel

Quote:

The arena fight was won by the beastly Mandeha, Achyuta fighting for Lanka. His opponent was tough, but just was not tough enough for the Mandehas ancient might.

Only a skillful pretender could enlist the services of such beast and Lanka has gained worth in my eyes.

-->

Lanka won the Arena match.
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:59 PM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

I be tellin them and tellin them ta play more gently, but they broke all the demons. Can ye send more next time?

Ye herd a jackals may end up succeedin in pulling down the lion, but I'll be taking a face or two with me. As the famous quote goes "never get involved in a land war in Atlantis."
Old May 14th, 2010, 04:30 PM

Major General

Har! Now ye fools be tumblin' with the horny toad indeed! Thar be one more face torn off and another mess o' artifacts ta be mountin' on me wall. Looks like MA T'ien Ch'i be eggin' me fer a hat trick...but this be such a target rich environment I can't be promisin' ye anything right away. When ye foul cabal climb inta yer bed together after finally whittlin yer better down with the mob, ye can now feel like ye earned it with the will ta pile yer peoples bodies deep enough ta finally bury the boys o' Atlantis.
Old May 15th, 2010, 04:55 AM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baalz View Post
Looks like MA T'ien Ch'i be eggin' me fer a hat trick...but this be such a target rich environment I can't be promisin' ye anything right away.
That's ok, take your time, tie up other loose ends, the horselords are only having abit of fun and amusing ourselves anyway, waiting for one of those northern demon powers to triumph.

My army is just glad it didn't bump into Aramiel.
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:36 PM

Major General

What in the heck just happened?!?!? For some reason my quickened golem was stricken blind after his first attack against Aramiel before his second attack that round (Aramiel had no chance to attack or cast anything). No eye loss as from a attacking a seraph, and no MR check for anything in the debug log. That's pretty damn disheartening, especially after watching that Mendeha wail away at him until the turn timer expired.
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:51 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Repel? That's the only other way I can think of damage being applied.
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:59 PM

Major General

Yeah, I had that thought to, but there was no HP loss at that time. There was also a fire shield up but my golem had 100% FR.
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:32 PM

Sergeant

fungalreason is on a distinguished road

http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Chayot

There's a "blind attacker" effect for Chayots
The Following User Says Thank You to fungalreason For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:10 PM

Colonel

Quote:

Aramiel has been put to rest. His soul has reached the afterlife and is now free of the tortereous grasp of the ancients. The Burning Angel has been given redemption and I am pleased of that fact. His soul will fly free once more. My sincerest thanks go to Bifron, the god of Lanka for his selfless deed.

He did not fall easily and fought to the end in his pure madness. Three attemps were made for his life in succession on three different days.

Behold the tale of the last stand of the one who was Mad and Holy!

The First Day

In the first day, Achyuta the Mandeha, the devourer of the sun, the arena champion, the hero of legends came upon Aramiel riding the clouds. He brought with him legions of imps and two raksharaja, demons of ancient might. The sun retreated, fearful of the Mandeha but Aramiel just cackled with glee as darkness came upon the realm.

"DaRkNeSs? ThAt Is YoUr GrEaTeSt WeApOn? yOuR tRuE fOeS aRe OlDeR tHaN tHaT MeAnInGleSs BaLl Of FiRe. gAzE uPoN mE aNd SeE tHe FuTiLiTy Of It AlL!"

In his burning madness and pain called upon the powers of sun inside him and reawakened with a pyre of glory each time he got struck down. The Beastly and Ancient Mandeha flew after him relentlessly, reinvogorated by the divinity of his awakening god. But the ancient might behind Aramiel was just stronger and he soon took the minds of the Rakshasha minions with his eldrict staff, gifted to him by one of the ancient ones themselves.

Achuyta, although unable to finally strike down Aramiel, managed to escape the influence of the crooked oath staff. He struck and struck, taking damage from the aura of glory surrounding the Fallen Shepherd. But fire is the ancient foe of Mandeha and the flames smote him deeply. A Phoenix Pyre scorched his feet to stumps, but still he kept stricking his mad foe. Another burst burned his chest and wicked heart, but he still refused to give up. Seeing his ancient might falter, the Mandeha stroke a great blow in desperation hit his hand right through the Mad Angel. For one silent moment it seemed like the angel was done for, but he just laughed as his mortal form exploded in a cloud of fire.

His act of desperation had cost the once-mighty Mandeha his swordarm, which now was just a flaming stump. His foe just kept on coming and coming, never taking any lasting harm and his demonic body was now mutilated beyond regocnition. No one could respect him now and his former servants would look upon him with pity if he ever was to return to his master. It just was not fair! What kind of might was behind that immortal foe? Choosing not to bear the news of shame to his master, the legendary Mandeha fled and chose to never return.

The Second Day

In the second day, a rift opened in space itself. Aramiel tought that his masters had arrived to claim this realm, but was dissapointed. From the rift came a great construct made of death and steel, called Inberke. It was a mindless, but mighty, servant of the Icy Queen and he had came to defeat the Mad One. Adorned with many artifacts of might, the golem did not waste any time on words and came forward to strike the Burning Angel.

"Ah, I sEe ThAt YoU aRe NoT bUrDeNeT wItH tOuGhT oR sOuL. WhAt A BlIsS MuSt ThAt Be.."

Once more, Aramiel called upon the powers of sun to become immortal and flew to strike the strange creation. The staff of eldricth oaths wielded by the angel could not slay the sanity of the mindless machine and his first strike proved ineffective against the hulk of metal. But as the machine tried to strike the Mad One, his divine radiance blasted away the the dark crystals the magical construct used to see. A truly miraculous event, likely ordained by the powers beyond reality, the same who were behind the madness of Aramiel.

As deadly as the artifacts wielded the machine were, they were useless if they could not hit the fallen angel. But the machine was strong and relentless and it took a whole hour for the mad angel to bring the metallic hulk down for good.

The Third Day

On the Third Day, a great army sailed and flew in some grand scheme to fell the angel. It was lead by a wicked Ice Devil called Cimejes and a cunning Raksharaja, Abnik. The army composed of several demonic titans, Davanas, and a horde of sacred demon warriors. The dead also walked with them and the Mad Angel just watched as this terrifying foe organized its ranks. Once the enemy forces were at their places, the angel screamed..

"iN tHe PaTh YoU aRe DoOmEd To FoLlOw, YoUr EyEs WiLl OnLy DeCeiVe You! AlLoW Me To ShOw ThE WaY! FoLlOw ThE BlInD oNe!"

The demonic force casted a great enchantment that allowed the whole army to fly in the winds and attack the Burning Angel head on. Aramiel just grinned as the demons rained upon him and, yet again, called for the power of immortality. And then he attacked the massive demonic horde with just his crooked shepherd's staff. Although the angel was once again shrouded in his divine radiance, the Devanas were mighty and one of them struck the angel right in the heart and caused a great affliction.

Although the angel hardly noticed the wound, it hindered him greatly and soon his form started to tire. Although his staff struck the Davanas with insanity and his radiance burned their eyes blind, the demons did not falther and wailed on the Mad Angel, giving him no rest. Many of the demons were killed by Aramiel, but in the end they proved victorious as they dispelled the immortality of the Burning One with pure strenght alone.

Many of the demons had fallen, and even greater amount of them would not ever see or have the gift of tought, but they were victorious and brought peace to the Tormented One. Abrik and Cimejes will be remembered in legends for eternity as this tale will be spread through the land.

-->

Lanka killed Aramiel. He will be showered with boons.

Heh. You both attacked him when he was on probably his most terrifying script with the "Phoenix Pyre" trickery. The turn before he was on a script ending with "Cast Spells", which would have probably been his undoing in a serious fight.

Also, it seems that there might just be *some* use for the sandals of the crone. Because the sandals blinked the angel at the start of his turn, he was always able to get his buffing script off, even if he got jumped by the enemy forces so that he avoided that 50% chance of going off script. This was not a intended effect (I haven't used the sandals for anything until now), I just chose them for him to wear because they seemed thematic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baalz View Post
What in the heck just happened?!?!? For some reason my quickened golem was stricken blind after his first attack against Aramiel before his second attack that round (Aramiel had no chance to attack or cast anything). No eye loss as from a attacking a seraph, and no MR check for anything in the debug log. That's pretty damn disheartening, especially after watching that Mendeha wail away at him until the turn timer expired.
Yeah, it was certainly odd. Ayachta did not get blinded even tought he struck the angel like bazillion times. So the Debug log showed that he got no mr roll to save? Sounds like a bug to me.

Last edited by Burnsaber; May 18th, 2010 at 06:29 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Burnsaber For This Useful Post: