.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old September 13th, 2020, 10:37 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: German Campaign using War Cab

Turn 4 Start

Have to say this is not going as expected we are at their deploy line & only thing detected is a booby trap, I expected mines there.
As noted exposed squad did not take fire, the scout vehicles their took minor risk minimal exposure.
In a couple of turns once infantry moves up I might expose a 222, fairly confident no tanks but ATGs?
That said my spotter may be a bit blind though don't think it is detected nothing - not risking a 3rd AA fire climbed to 8% on last pass.

I have dropped some artillery but the Russians have done nothing since initial turn bombardment.

I am wondering if the are this side of the crossroads is empty & the mines start there as spotter saw nothing at all

If we do not find mines going to pull Pz Grenadiers back in case of artillery & go round the boobytrap. Disarming later with a lone Pioneer may attract arty, to me that is the reason its there so it knows we are.

Forgot to mark depressions last time the only other one encountered later is obvious.
Old September 14th, 2020, 07:36 AM

General

Turn 7 end

This is not playing anything like the way I envisioned it would go so far.

Russian artillery fell last turn around 6-76mm guns but no off map yet, expect it on the road as we have cleared mines there so cleared area.

No sign of the enemy in top half of the map despite me sitting out in the open, not a normal tactic but put light armoured stuff out there to see if we get an ATG response.
Units North of the road will run along beside it to see if its mined further.

In centre squad that received fire moved to safety & sniper is been ganged up on by vehicles. Need infantry fresh as may be mines further back here they need to locate.

Transferring more units to B as minimal exposure while attacking unit near the road.
Decided to bring 3 AA units up to expose as longer range so less chance of a hit than sticking out a 222, they just drew artillery on old positions.

There is a band of tall grass below B that badly obscures view unless you are around A

At the bottom was not going to attack here initially but its well screened & the AAMGs are in that field just off the screenshot.
We will probably run a taxi service here especially for the HMG as transports cannot do much elsewhere for fear of mines. They can also give fire support out in the open areas here if we drop a bit of smoke.
Old September 15th, 2020, 03:39 AM

General

Turn 11 start

As you can see its been slow going I need to improve my game really done a few silly things.

Previously the idea of leaving the vehicles out resulted in a dead AA unit. It confirmed there were AT guns & we got it but not the best way our unit was nearly twice as expensive.
In this area we then received fire from a HMG - the 250/11 put in the kill shot.
Next turn both ATGs opened up but this time we had enough firepower to kill a man in each so its unscathed.
Ended turn with Pioneer moving to clear road & having to smoke due to fire from another HMG.
Mines are hampering things until we can get some infantry across the road the tanks are hiding.

Heading down the break in the trees towards the ? is now a priority as it looks like there are mortars nearby.
I mentioned this should be a priority at the start but have hardly any units there - my bad.
Oddly the Squad at Y has vanished from sight, its not been fired at I am assuming its still there & took cover??

In the open area mines is the big question, are there any & if so where.
We may find some as in position to try moving adjacent against the central group this turn. We can silence or smoke the HMG there

At the bottom as had not planned to push here we have no Pioneer so one is grabbing a taxi. We already have one squad on mines & can push through there & attack that squad from the rear.

Russian arty seems to consist of 6-76mm, 2-81Mtrs & a 122mmBattery that immobilised the halftrack, its stopped currently expect it this turn. Losses are G1:R4
Old September 15th, 2020, 07:41 PM

General

Turn 12 Start

What a difference a turn can make not much has changed up North but it looks like we are facing at least a reinforced company down South
Some artillery came in including up North causing a few pinned units but otherwise okay, 122 Batt will be this turn.

We will move a few more units to support the push towards the mortars, they were busy taking out the ATGs this turn.

Getting the unit to A to attack the entrenchments proved quite difficult lost a couple of men drawing distant fire from the squads at B as fast moved but with the help of the 222s got both to retreat status so risked a pioneer Mech Assaulting.
Placing smoke as we need to check mines & create a path so the infantry can get ahead of our armour.

Engaging the squads in the mixed woods to the far South makes no sense till we are past the mines it will consume time & probably men, the squad here took more fire than I was expecting the Marder had to cover him as pulled back.

We have lost some men & the AA unit while the Russians are down 10 units 3 each of Squad, HMG, ATG & we got one AAMG. Took around 15 shots before scoring
a critical HE hit.
Old September 16th, 2020, 10:33 AM

General

Turn 15 Start

Things are finally happening now we cleared the Northern minefield.

We took out a HMG & squad taking over there positions in preparation for the push on top Vhexes.
JagPz had a close call when 57mm ATG took a shot at it but its luck held, squads in the woods have not been so fortunate. Advancing through Pines in particular is always dangerous & caused several casualties.
Trying to take out that ATG (its routed nearly dead) we found another which was fortunate as the tank at A was going to move adjacent to attack B. In the end used both tanks there one to kill the ATG the other against B so the Pioneer could get it running.
Discovered the 45mm ATG in enemy turn when it routed our squad its untouched. Close range I know but ATG fire was surprisingly viscous vs the infantry.
Nearly at the Mortars at least 1 squad is in our way, plane attacked artillery in top right corner just routing possibly damaging its okay but heavy AA in vicinity.

I thought we were in trouble here as facing the enemy across quite a wide front & still dealing with the mines.
Smoke helped no end cleared most of the mines & managed to pick off a few units so we can concentrate on the units in the woods.
With the mines clear & no sign of any AT units or guns the vehicles are operating more freely.
No idea if there are more units to the East as smoke is just clearing but tanks are getting to them to retreat status & 250/11 risked a run to dig them out. It will do the same this turn as will the 222AC which is great close up.
Units at B have just cleared the mines - this turn will just go for easy targets & clearing mines.
Next turn most smoke will have cleared all squads will be entrenched & the HMGs & FOO will be in place so we can hit them hard.

Forgot to smoke the squad hiding behind the pines he got hammered.
This area is going far better than I expected so far a 57mm or larger ATG could have caused problems & no sign of tanks yet.
Old September 16th, 2020, 10:35 AM

General

Sorry first Screen
Old September 17th, 2020, 06:55 AM

General

Turn 16

This is a two parter as we have had a mad minute with bullets flying everywhere over 10 Russian units died & several more are badly mauled however we were not unscathed either.

Starting with the lighter fighting up North - Units above the red line have not taken their turn yet unless marked.

Blue shows fire during AI turn killing & immobilising 2 halftracks (Sorry showed wrong tank initially)
Tank battle - In our turn the smoke on the road cleared & presumably the squads on the road spotted both T/34/85s.
The MkIV (C) had LOS to the nearest one from its position so we fired which revealed the T34/76 as both tanks returned fire.
Committed now so JgPnz (D) moved into trees so 2 on 2 we cannot see the other one.
During the exchange the 85 continually missed but the 76 surprisingly as more distant damaged both - MkIV has reduced shots JgPnz is okay.

Moved a few units killed the last ATG & found the AA gun (A) scout at B will smoke letting MkIV take first shot at it without exposing its flank. Still moderately risky if the AA gun gets a good penetration hit at that range I am damaged but lets give the infantry a break.

There are obviously more tanks around spotted the other one earlier the artillery will fall this turn so would like to engage it. Preferably starting with a long shot which is why I highlighted the terrain hinderance squads will need to see if they can find a firing position.
I would have liked to send the planes in here to see if more tanks are in the open but AA is to heavy so they are attacking down the bottom they should come in this turn. More in the hopes they spot something on the approach like that HMG than for the damage.

Units below the line have already had their turn, after taking part in the attack they are moving East to try & get a look at the open areas beyond the tree line.
Specifically hopefully to spot anymore tanks or possible AA ATG fire.
During this (E) took HMG fire so as JgPnz has 2 dischargers it moved up & fired one.
Worst case next go if I cannot find something better it could move & take the opening shot vs the T-34, wont hit anything but facing change & return fire is a possibility.

Living a bit dangerously here still no sign of ATGs & we are not far from Vhexes we should wait for more infantry.
Old September 17th, 2020, 07:56 AM

General

Turn 16 end

Pulled the pin big style down here as you may have noticed as no planes we pulled all 6 mobile AA units forward around turn 10. They are great vs grouped infantry & the AI has amassed a big group again this battle.

This went virtually without a hitch opened up with everything but the squads & 222 who then moved adjacent & finished the job.
Of course while its the fast way to hit entrenched units its not without risk especially when you discover previously undetected units.

The 222AC was the first casualty to a hidden squad.
The other major loss several men was my bad as shown I should have realised there would be a squad at A though was not expecting the other. Our squad had 1 shot left after taking fire so it smoked & we sent in another.

Ended up overextended a bit against the hex with 3 routed squads due to finding new ones. The Panther fired smoke & we sent a halftrack in for a mech assault, unfortunately it travelled quite far & was not effective the squad is still entrenched.
If one of those squads recovers & damages our fast moving squad they could all recover so moved the other units so 4 hexes shown can fire at that hex just in case.

We could actually pull off Phase 2 without driving the vehicles round to the field side, remember no ranged AT weaponry so can take position 2 hexes away safely.
Mines are an unknown factor I think they are every other hex down the road, hopefully when they route we will get a clue if I watch the paths.

Mentioning AT we have not seen any Tank hunter Teams this game.

Situations like this are quite good fun you need to determine the best order of attack or you lose momentum & keep a few units in reserve for the unexpected. AA units in my case as mobile & nasty but suppressing to retreat is good enough before the boys pile in.
Old September 18th, 2020, 02:32 AM

General

Turn 18 Start

The Russians have started moving would have saved us a load of effort if they had done it a turn earlier.
In the South this cost us a couple of men as was not expecting it & a couple of our units got ganged up on. One of the 3 squad pile did rally & get a shot off but don't think he killed anything.
Movement into the field here has halted we have found the AT Teams though only equipped with mines.
Looks like the AI has deployed them behind the squads again here so an easy kill there are also some up North mixed in with the infantry.

The planes spotted the Pillbox & HMG at A which fired on the 2 squads shown so I am thinking there is a closer unit somewhere by them.
For those that think MGs are not effective it killed 3 men at around 1000m.
Probably need to move tanks up fire dischargers so infantry can move freely then take out bunker & find the other HMG.

Up North positioning to attack the T-34/85 meant we were in a good location when they broke cover here.
Much like previously finding the other ATG while trying to kill the first it played into our hands.
The previous turn we had 4 tanks against 1 & it had been hit by artillery, most shots missed the only hit caused 1 damage to the T-34 so I left them up as we had target lock & high hit chances.
Minor panic when in AI turn firstly the AA Gun opened up & one tank assisted the infantry. Then the other tanks appeared one was killed with first shot at 17% accuracy the other took a few shots. As the AI does it switched between units all fire by & at the original T-34 missed.
Luckily the most Southern MkIV was not distracted by other units & still has target lock showing a 84% hit chance now.

Infantry just south of the road took fire from a pillbox, I am assuming as JagPz has been there a couple of turns it does not have good AT weaponry.
Old September 19th, 2020, 02:11 AM

General

Turn 22

Not a lot else happened the North was fairly easy as they had left the foxholes & we encountered several more bunkers in the South but as the armour was there they did not cause much damage.
Forgot to mention fairly early on I lost a sniper to regular infantry fire which was a bit gutting.

Sorry forgot the screenshot lets just say it was a decisive victory.

As going to Normandy in a couple of battles we are going to try Russia again they are not normally such pushovers.

Location Jassy visibility is 45 hexes we are defending screen shows overview of deployment.

I sold all but 2 tanks (kept Company Commander & sidekick who have experience of 99 & 101) & repurchased so now have.
2 - Panthers (1 is Co Comander)
1 - StuGIV
1 - Jpz IV/48
10 - MkIV's as switched a couple

This along with switching out infantry last turn has bought our average experience down to 82. It also means we only have AP ammo no Sabot rounds anymore.

AUX
Considered buying ATG's but want the new tanks to get some kills, bit worried if the Russians bring some heavies that we are armour light.
10.cm Off Map Battery
2 AT Teams + 2 Bren Carriers adapted for German use.

No fire control but 3 chances to hit they could be fun if artillery lets them live.

Deployment not ideal more concerned with surviving the artillery so extensive use of rough hexes & trying to avoid likely spots especially with light armoured vehicles. Exception is the road expecting artillery there & on Vhexes initially plus mainly in the South as most Vhexes are situated there.

Screen of fields of fire by the road.