.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old July 23rd, 2009, 03:52 PM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road
Default Awesome

This IrC discussion will explain everything:

Code:
[22:21]	Burnsaber	I've toying with the idea of a "Metal Nation"
[22:21]	Gregstrom	Heh.
[22:21] Burnsaber	Like half seroisuly
[22:22]	Burnsaber	The recruitable troops are roudies and fans
[22:22]	Burnsaber	While the commanders are singers
[22:23]	Burnsaber	Folk Metal singers have nature magic, "regular" metal earth. death metal well death, gore metal with blood magic and hero metal with fire magic
[22:23]	Gregstrom	Nice
[22:23]	Gregstrom	Ooh, so much fun.
[22:24]	Gregstrom	It's a new direction for modding, and I have to say I like it.
[22:24]	Burnsaber	All of them would have custom "song attacks". Trash metal makes physical damage, death metal causes fear and so forth
[22:24]	Gregstrom	Nature summon: War Pigs
[22:24]	Burnsaber	National heroes would be based on famous metal bads, like man'o'war
[22:26]	Gregstrom	And a Led Zeppelin?
[22:27]	Burnsaber	And the fans would be different based on the metal they digg. Gore metal fans are freaky bunch, Hero metal fans have great morale, folk metal fans have survival skills and so worth
[22:27]	Burnsaber	Oh, right, progressive metal is astral
[22:27]	Burnsaber	The pinnacle troops would be "die-hard-fan" with metallic skin
[22:28]	Gregstrom	I'd heard of prog rock... prog metal?? Whoa...
[22:28]	Burnsaber	Yeah. Try Dream Theather, that gives the general idea
[22:29]	Burnsaber	And yeah, there'd definately be a troop called "Trooper"
[22:29]	Burnsaber	It just has to be
[22:30]	Burnsaber	And the Idea was that litter all sorts of obscure metal references all over the description, or just using song lyric for descriptions
[22:31]	Gregstrom	Hmm... a battle spell that does damage and chains a charm effect - Pain of Salvation?
[22:31]	Gregstrom	Ooh, I like this idea.
[22:31]	Burnsaber	Someone, anyone reading, please slap some sense inot us before we actually do this
[22:32]	Burnsaber	I'm being actaully tempted
[22:32]	Burnsaber	I mean, it'd just be so... awesome
[22:33]	* Gregstrom	resists the temptation to say "this rocks"
[22:34]	Burnsaber	MA guitarroon, the men of metal
[22:35]	Burnsaber	Name needs work, but epiteth in set in stone
[22:36]	Burnsaber	"Men of Metal"
[22:36]	Gregstrom	:D
[22:36]	Burnsaber	Heh. the PD could be mechanical milita :D
[22:37]	Burnsaber	And a super-cheap national Harvester of Sorrows
[22:37]	Gregstrom	I love it.
[22:38]	Gregstrom	Golem Cult effect would be appropriate.
[22:38]	Burnsaber	Aaah. That's awesome!
[22:39]		You can have my rawk yhetee if you do.
[22:40]	Burnsaber	I think the people reading this are either crying or laughing
[22:40]	Burnsaber	What's a "yhetee"
[22:40]	Gregstrom	Quite possibly both.
[22:41]	Gregstrom	Yeti can't spell, and no-one wants to argue with them.
[22:41]	Burnsaber	I'd need help with "old" rock/early metal. Never really got into 80´s metal
[22:42]	Burnsaber	Havne't heard a lot of zeppelin either
[22:42]	Burnsaber	But I know my Hero and folk metal
[22:42]	Burnsaber	Death too
[22:43]	Gregstrom	I know more about earlier metal than the later stuff. Maiden, Metallica, Zep and so on. I don't know much about them, but...
[22:44]	Burnsaber	Proababöy still enough to make cheasy references in every opportunity
[22:44]	Gregstrom	compared with the yawning depth of my ignorance of metal after the mid-90's.
[22:44]	Gregstrom	Oh yes. Cheesy references are my meat and drink.
[22:44]	Gregstrom	I know my level.
[22:45]	Gregstrom	(and sink to it at every available opportunity)
[22:45]	Burnsaber	Hey Greg, you mind if I post this conversation in a thread? I might really do this (after Breton and mod updated, of course) Gives me good excuse to catch up on my metal
[22:46]	Burnsaber     *my other mods updated
[22:46]	Gregstrom	It's absolutely fine by me.
[22:47]	Gregstrom	Ooh, another summon: Rock Dinosaur.
[22:48]	Gregstrom	And a flying Pretender with a forge bonus, the Aero Smith.
[22:49]	Gregstrom	The laws of karma are due to give me a really unpleasant day tomorrow, I think.
[22:53]	Burnsaber	Me too
[22:53]	Burnsaber	but it has been done
[22:53]	Burnsaber	http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?p=702789#post702789
[22:54]	-->|	matryx (~matryx@horus.matryx.org.uk) has joined #dominions
[22:55]	Burnsaber	May god help us all
[22:55]	Burnsaber	I really need practice my impulse control, you know?
[22:56]	Gregstrom	Oh, I think that'll be just fine. It should certainly spark off a few cheesy metal references.
[22:57]	Burnsaber	And considering the wide sprectrum of metal (folk metal and gore metal are even farther apart that Fusion Jazz and Pop), everyone should affiniate to some part of the nation
[22:59]	Gregstrom	With any luck, yes.
[23:00]	Burnsaber	Dom3 players also vary a lot in age too
[23:00]	Gregstrom	Ooh, Wikipedia has been useful for something.
[23:00]	Burnsaber	?
[23:00]	Gregstrom	It has lists of metal bands of each genre.
[23:00]	Gregstrom	Including the instant national summon, Tarantula Hawk.
[23:01]	Burnsaber	Never heard of them, what genre?
[23:01]	Gregstrom	Prog Metal, it says.
[23:01]	Gregstrom	"Tarantula Hawk is a psychedelic progressive metal band from San Diego, California."
[23:01]	Burnsaber	Oh, I never listen at any prog metal not recommened by a firend. Too much of chance to get ear-[censored Dirty verb]
[23:02]	Burnsaber	Same with hero metal
[23:02]	Gregstrom	Ahh, the downside of Wikipedia - everything can be updated by fans, leading to obscure bands getting the same amount of space as ones you'd actually want to hear.
[23:03]	Burnsaber	It's kinda strange. Bad Hero Metal is just the worst metal there is (after Gore, of course) but good hero metal is just something magical
[23:03]	Burnsaber	Like anyone that has been in Man'o'War concert knows
[23:04]	Burnsaber	It's just burst of testicle-exploding pure man energy of awesome
[23:04]	Burnsaber	Can't explain it better
[23:05]	Gregstrom	I think that's going to be part of the nation description
So ehh. People intrested? Not that I care, I know that I'll have absolute blast while making this, but I'm just intrested on the fact if you're intrested. Besides, my metal-fu isn't perfect, I need some suggestion for cheesy references for those "famous" bands I don't really know.

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.

Last edited by Burnsaber; July 23rd, 2009 at 04:08 PM..
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:31 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Awesome

Have a free sprite to get started.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sombre For This Useful Post:
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:51 PM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

And a bit more...
Code:
20:47 Gregstrom> And a flying Pretender with a forge bonus, the Aero Smith. 
20:48 Gregstrom> The laws of karma are due to give me a really unpleasant day tomorrow, I think. 
20:52 Burnsaber> Me too 
20:52 Burnsaber> but it has been done 
20:52 Burnsaber> http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?p=702789#post702789 
20:53 *** matryx joined #Dominions ~matryx@horus.matryx.org.uk  
20:53 Burnsaber> May god help us all 
20:54 Burnsaber> I really need practice my impulse control, you know? 
20:54 Gregstrom> Oh, I think that'll be just fine.  It should certainly spark off a few cheesy metal references. 
20:56 Burnsaber> And considering the wide sprectrum of metal (folk metal and gore metal are even farther apart that Fusion Jazz and Pop), everyone should affiniate to some part of the nation 
20:57 Gregstrom> With any luck, yes. 
20:58 Burnsaber> Dom3 players also vary a lot in age too 
20:58 Gregstrom> Ooh, Wikipedia has been useful for something. 
20:58 Burnsaber> ? 
20:59 Gregstrom> It has lists of metal bands of each genre. 
20:59 Gregstrom> Including the instant national summon, Tarantula Hawk. 
20:59 Burnsaber> Never heard of them, what genre? 
20:59 Gregstrom> Prog Metal, it says. 
21:00 Gregstrom> "Tarantula Hawk is a psychedelic progressive metal band from San Diego, California." 
21:00 Burnsaber> Oh, I never listen at any prog metal not recommened by a firend. Too much of chance to get ear-raped 
21:00 Burnsaber> Same with hero metal 
21:01 Gregstrom> Ahh, the downside of Wikipedia - everything can be updated by fans, leading to obscure bands getting the same amount of space as ones you'd actually want to hear. 
21:02 Burnsaber> It's kinda strange. Bad Hero Metal is just the worst metal there is (after Gore, of course) but good hero metal is just something magical 
21:02 Burnsaber> Like anyone that has been in Man'o'War concert knows 
21:03 Burnsaber> It's just burst of testicle-exploding pure man energy of awesome 
21:03 Burnsaber> Can't explain it better 
21:04 Gregstrom> I think that's going to be part of the nation description. 
21:04 Gregstrom> Possibly all of the nation description :D 
21:09 Burnsaber> "Men of Metal" 
21:09 Burnsaber> burst of testicle-exploding pure man energy of awesome 
21:09 Burnsaber> Race: MEN!!! 
21:09 Burnsaber> Troops: Fans 
21:09 Burnsaber> Magic: Diverse 
21:09 Burnsaber> Priests: Gospel metal 
21:11 Burnsaber> Heh, Proge metal could get all sorts of wierd trippy LA R'lyeh void stuff 
21:11 Gregstrom> Man'o'War makes a good unique summon, actually.  So would St. Anger (Metallica album). 
21:12 Burnsaber> Yeah 
21:12 Gregstrom> And for a remote pop kill spell, The Spaghetti Incident. 
21:12 Burnsaber> *chuckles 
21:14 Gregstrom> There is sooo much material out there.  The problem is knowing when to stop.

Want to use multiple mods? The Mod Compatibility Index might be useful.

Last edited by Gregstrom; July 23rd, 2009 at 05:02 PM..
Old July 23rd, 2009, 05:33 PM

Sergeant

BandarLover is on a distinguished road

This might be the greatest thing I've heard all day.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

elmokki is on a distinguished road

Here's a really quick sprite for a death metal fan and a projectile sprite for one of his weapons. He is a drunk idiot (precision shouold be low atleast) who should probably be armed with Beer bottle (melee weapon with dmg 1, att -1, def -1, length 1), Beer bottle (throwing version!) and since he gives the finger to the enemies of the metal some sort of a fear attack would be cool.

Oh yeah, and he's pretty pale since he never sees sunlight. Should have darkvision 25 or something.
Attached Images

Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:08 PM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

If you come up with ideas, drop 'em in the thread. Chunks of mod code would be gratefully accepted too.

And many thanks, elmokki! That's a great sprite

Want to use multiple mods? The Mod Compatibility Index might be useful.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

Here's two more.

First up is the mosher. I'd say he needs to have trample (and possibly size 3) since he is an adept of trampling people in a mosh pit. His only weapon is his long, greasy hair. If he can't get size 3 and trample, the hair should atleast be aoe or have multiple attacks. The attack sprite isn't too good, sadly. It's also awful to make the \,,/ -hand gesture when the width of most hands is two pixels.
EDIT: Yeah, scrap trample, hair should just have loads of low damage attacks.
EDIT2: The hair could entangle enemies instead of multiple attacks!

Second there's the norwegian black metal fan, kirkebrenner, he likes to burn churches. With a torch and hair like that, he should be really careful. His niche is probably too small.

Just by the way, all units should have some natural armor. More for more hardcore metal men.
Attached Images

Last edited by elmokki; July 23rd, 2009 at 06:37 PM..
Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

This nation definately needs a KISS, Knight In Satan's Service. A knight without a helmet with one of those KISS masks and an electric guitar instead of a lance.

Just look at KISS there if you aren't familiar with the acronym: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...me_etymologies

While I know what an iron maiden is, a literal iron maiden would be cool too.
Old July 24th, 2009, 12:41 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I agree with Gregstrom. Those sprites are awesome. As for metal genres presented, here are my current ideas (This nation might end up of with contrubution from several different people, so I won't exercise too total control over it). But it might be good to give it some structure, like a singer and a fan to "major" metal genres.

Folk ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_metal ) - Singers have nature magic & their song attack is prepresented as national spell "Violin solo!" that forces you to dance (fatigue damage?). The fans wear capes and beer gegs and have forest survival.

Death ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Metal ) - Singers have death magic and their song attack causes fear (like the wail of the LA Ermor banshees), the fan troop as made by elmokki

Trash ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trash_metal ) - Singers have Earth and Death magic. Their song attack causes physical damage. The mosher from Elmokki is a perfect Trasher. Especially if you go with the trampling mosh pitter.

Hero ( also known as "power metal" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_metal ) - Singers have fire magic and high attack. Their song attack is "Dragon-Slaying" which causes more damage to bigger targets. Their fans have high morale and might have some sort of giant slaying attack too (with their boffer swords, of course ).

Progressive ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_metal ) - Singers have astral magic. Their song attack "seven minute whistle solo" causes insanity. The fans are insane and are size 6 because of their massive ego.

Heavy - Singers have earth magic. Generic fans, expect for the "die-hard fan" unit which has metallic skin and attidute.

Gore metal ( Won't link here, the stuffs pretty gruesome ) - Singers have blood magic and their song in reprensetd as a national spell "Grinding" that causes afflictions. The fans are creepy bunch (much like flagnellants) with open wounds and pillagebonus.

Gospel metal ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_metal ) - Singers have priestly magic and can "convert" people with their song attack. Fans are sacred and suprisingly clean for metal fans.

I still need a name for the nation, "Guitarroon" won't definately be it.

"Kingdom of the Damned" is a nice power metal song I know, but the reference might be too obscure (you heard of Dreamevil? Me neither) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Czbf...rom=PL&index=1

Last edited by Burnsaber; July 24th, 2009 at 12:54 AM..
Old July 24th, 2009, 01:46 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

But but but ... how can you omit Glam Metal? Singers should have glamour (obviously) and maybe air magic with a confusion-causing song attack.

Plus hordes of Maenad groupie fans!
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?