.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 29th, 2003, 02:20 AM

Private

Senaca is on a distinguished road
Default Mac OSX demo wont launch! Help

I've looked around and though I saw references to other people with this problem I couldn't find the solution posted. I've downloadedthe demo and ckicked on the app it starts to launch for about a second then just dies with no error message.

I have tried this on both 10.2.8 and the new 10.3 (Panther release. (I work at Apple)

Dual 1.25ghz powerPC G4 512mb memory
64MB graphic card ATI
Old October 29th, 2003, 02:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

HJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mac OSX demo wont launch! Help

I have the same problem, but with the PC Version. Does it crash immediately without even starting?
I don't know whether things are the same with Mac, but do you also have a text file in the instalation folder called stderr.txt that reads:

Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
?

I also added the -dd switch to my shortcut, and got the log.txt file in the folder which reads:

-------------------------
----- DOMINIONS ---------
-------------------------

dbglevel 2 pc_endian
datapath='.'
savepath='.'
temppath='C:\WINDOWS\TEMP/dom16882'

Incidentally, I also have ATI Radeon with 64 MB RAM (latest drivers, catalyst 3.8), although I'm using Win98SE. Maybe there is a link there?

[ October 29, 2003, 00:48: Message edited by: HJ ]
Old October 29th, 2003, 02:55 AM

Corporal

josh_f is on a distinguished road

Have you tried launching Dominions with the run in window mode switch? (could someone from IW post the switch). When I first tried to run the demo on my dual 500 g4, the video went all flakey. I discovered if I hit ctrl-tab to enter windowed mode it worked fine.
Old October 29th, 2003, 02:58 AM

Second Lieutenant

HJ is on a distinguished road

Well, I did, and it didn't work. The switch is --window, or --window --res 640 400. And for me it's not that the window goes flakey, the window terminates immediately after initializing. If I understood the starter of this thread correctly, he has the same problem while also using ATI.

[ October 29, 2003, 01:00: Message edited by: HJ ]
Old October 29th, 2003, 05:24 AM

Private

Stavetor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Senaca:
I've looked around and though I saw references to other people with this problem I couldn't find the solution posted. I've downloadedthe demo and ckicked on the app it starts to launch for about a second then just dies with no error message.

I have tried this on both 10.2.8 and the new 10.3 (Panther release. (I work at Apple)

Dual 1.25ghz powerPC G4 512mb memory
64MB graphic card ATI
I've got this same problem, also on 10.2.8. I posted about this in the Linux Demo Problems thread, because I'd had trouble unpacking the .tar.gz like several Linux Users. Stuffit crashes about halfway through the unpacking process, but it does leave me with the dominions folder and the app. However, when I try to launch the app, it fires up for a few seconds and then quits, no message or anything. Very frustrating after sitting through a 4 hour download (I'm on a 56k modem).
Old October 29th, 2003, 05:26 AM

Major

st.patrik is on a distinguished road

I haven't had any problems on my iMac running 10.2.6, for whatever that's worth.
Old October 29th, 2003, 05:31 AM

Private

Cameroon is on a distinguished road

To be honest, I don't know how anyone on a Mac is running this (unless they also have the SDL framework elsewhere and it's getting pulled in).

The console (Applications -> Utilities -> Console for those who don't know its there) shows error Messages from apps and such. This is the error that's spit out when DOM2 tries to launch:

dyld: /Users/username/Downloads/dom2demo_osx Folder/dominions2demo.app/Contents/MacOS/dominions2 can't open library: @executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

Basically what that says is that the framework SDL should be inside the application bundle. Well, it's not. The demo that's distributed is missing that framework at least, and possibly others (can't tell since the app can't get past not having that framework). It looks like a copy phase was missed during build. I'm a Mac OS X developer, btw, so I'm not just blathering on .

Seriously hope someone's reading this post 'cause I'd really love to play the demo but obviousy we Mac Users aren't likely to get anywhere if the SDL framework isn't available for DOM2 to get at.

[Edit]
Just after I posted this, I saw someone mentioning that stuffit was crashing. Perhaps the archive is corrupt and thus not everything is getting unpacked as it should be. So maybe the copy phase worked but the archiving didn't

[ October 29, 2003, 03:33: Message edited by: Cameroon ]
Old October 29th, 2003, 06:01 AM

Major

st.patrik is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Cameroon:
To be honest, I don't know how anyone on a Mac is running this (unless they also have the SDL framework elsewhere and it's getting pulled in).

The console (Applications -> Utilities -> Console for those who don't know its there) shows error Messages from apps and such. This is the error that's spit out when DOM2 tries to launch:

dyld: /Users/username/Downloads/dom2demo_osx Folder/dominions2demo.app/Contents/MacOS/dominions2 can't open library: @executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

Basically what that says is that the framework SDL should be inside the application bundle. Well, it's not. The demo that's distributed is missing that framework at least, and possibly others (can't tell since the app can't get past not having that framework). It looks like a copy phase was missed during build. I'm a Mac OS X developer, btw, so I'm not just blathering on .

Seriously hope someone's reading this post 'cause I'd really love to play the demo but obviousy we Mac Users aren't likely to get anywhere if the SDL framework isn't available for DOM2 to get at.

[Edit]
Just after I posted this, I saw someone mentioning that stuffit was crashing. Perhaps the archive is corrupt and thus not everything is getting unpacked as it should be. So maybe the copy phase worked but the archiving didn't
Maybe why it's working for me is that I downloaded something like this several months ago to help with Dom I, so I could have had it in place. In case anyone doesn't know where to get a Version of SDL for mac, Illwinter posted a link on their news page back in April: www.illwinter.com/index.html

[ October 29, 2003, 04:02: Message edited by: st.patrik ]
Old October 29th, 2003, 10:46 AM

Private

Stavetor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by st.patrik:
Maybe why it's working for me is that I downloaded something like this several months ago to help with Dom I, so I could have had it in place. In case anyone doesn't know where to get a Version of SDL for mac, Illwinter posted a link on their news page back in April: www.illwinter.com/index.html
I just got the latest Version of SDL tonight and the demo still doesn't work, although now what happens is that it starts up for a few seconds and then crashes. I checked on the console and the error message I got was:

NÂgot gick fel!
loadmalloc: can't open ./guiborder2.tga

Based off this and the fact that Stuffit crashed yet again after a second download, I think Cameroon may be right. Maybe the archive is corrupt? Although that doesn't explain why it seems to work alright for St.patrik and (I'm assuming) others...

As an aside, anyone know what "NÂgot gick fel!" means?
Old October 29th, 2003, 01:39 PM

Private

Cameroon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Stavetor:
I just got the latest Version of SDL tonight and the demo still doesn't work, although now what happens is that it starts up for a few seconds and then crashes. I checked on the console and the error message I got was:

NÂgot gick fel!
loadmalloc: can't open ./guiborder2.tga

Based off this and the fact that Stuffit crashed yet again after a second download, I think Cameroon may be right. Maybe the archive is corrupt? Although that doesn't explain why it seems to work alright for St.patrik and (I'm assuming) others...

As an aside, anyone know what "NÂgot gick fel!" means?
I downloaded SDL this morning. The installer informs you that you can install it in /Library/Frameworks (the system framework directory) or in your home Framework directory ~/Library/Frameworks (you need to create the Frameworks folder in ~/Library if it doesn't already exist). I decided to go with ~/Library/Framework option because, honestly, I didn't want it global to the system until I knew it was going to do something useful.

DOM2 fired right up. There are definitely some packaging issues, or else Illwinter is indicating that the Users need to download SDL to play the game (but that seems awful silly ).

For those who are having trouble with the game
- download the Runtime Library of SDL for Mac OS X (you can find the link here: http://www.illwinter.com/index.html )

- then either create the Frameworks folder in your home Library, or follow the default and let it install into /Library/Frameworks (you'll need sys admin privs for the default option)

Those are the steps I followed and I got a pretty DOM2 start screen

For what it's worth, I'm on a G5 with 10.3.

Hope they fix their packaging issues and I hope those having difficulty with the demo can get into the game with the above help.

This definitely sucks for Illwinter though, lots of Mac Users are gonna download the demo and have it not launch and chuck it.