.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 9th, 2010, 11:53 PM

Grijalva

Default Re: Official Vanilla vs CBM debate thread

IMHO, CBM adds flavor as well as balance, because so many things are just not feasible in vanilla mp for whatever reason (overpriced, underpowered etc). For example, playing Bandar I wouldnt be want to use their cap unit, the tiger rider in vanilla mp because I would be paying out the ear. I mean, 100gold? I could almost buy an elephant for that! So, why not just buy an elephant?
Old June 11th, 2010, 01:51 AM

Corporal

Rookierookie is on a distinguished road

The issue being that GGs do not have enough power to be considered unique. If it's unique, it better be darn well powerful - and one astral pearl a month is hardly powerful.
Old June 11th, 2010, 03:27 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

GemGens still give you a useful and unique ability that no one else has. Clams allow you to perpetually, albeit slowly, replenish the astral gem supply of a given army, which can be handy for logistic purposes. Or just permanently boost the gem supply of your nation, if you really hate the idea of sending it out. Bloodstones are actually pretty good as uniques, being a very rare earth booster as well as the gem resupply purposes. The bloodstone is easily comparable to the ruby eye, for example, except better relatively due to the greater usefulness of earth gems and earth boosters being so rare. And I think that a clam of pearls is probably reasonably equatable to some of the lesser pre-existing uniques, like say igor konhelm's tome, or the headless hoburg :P

And of course, when you allow clams of pearls to be mass craftable, that is what happens and the most powerful person in the game is the person who has the most clams and the greatest capacity to forge them. Making them literally THE most powerful item in the game, greater than any artifact.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old June 11th, 2010, 04:25 PM

BANNED USER

Samulus is on a distinguished road

Does CBM require the latest patch?

what patch does it require exactly? It looks amazing and i want it.

I want it nao('.')

In any case, ive played with half of the nations in all ages. Vanilla definitely needs the nerfing/fixing that CBM supposedly gives.
Old June 11th, 2010, 06:09 PM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

I have no idea if it "requires" a certain patch. But why not use the latest anyway?
Old June 11th, 2010, 08:09 PM

BANNED USER

I'm having problems with it. Some sort of bug or whatever is messing with my game when i use the latest patch. It works (to a point) so that the turn ends and my actions go through but the game immidiately closes after that with an error message.

Either way i was curious.
Old June 11th, 2010, 08:54 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

It is possible CBM might conflict with versions of the game that do not have certain spells. So it's possible you'd need the last patch to introduce spells. I'm not sure of the number, but it wouldn't need to be quite the most recent one. Just the last one with jomon changes.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old June 11th, 2010, 10:19 PM

BANNED USER

Sounds good. I should probably contact shrapnel games and ask them if i could download up to a specific patch.

Who knows, it might work.
Old June 12th, 2010, 03:35 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samulus View Post
Sounds good. I should probably contact shrapnel games and ask them if i could download up to a specific patch.

Who knows, it might work.
You can get older patches off various gaming websites. Here is the link to them on Gamespot for example.

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/d...lt%3Btitle%3B0

Although note that you will have to get the most recent patch version working if you want to play MP games.

Edit: I'm guessing CBM will need at least patch 3.17, as that is when Hinnom/Ashdod/Gath were added. But don't quote me on that
Old June 12th, 2010, 09:08 AM

BANNED USER

Bawwwww. Stupid latest patch. T.T

In any case, 3.17 should work for me.

One last question s'il vous plait. I tried using the method in the FAQ on installing a mod but i always get an error of the game not being able to open one of the .tga files despite the fact that i have the .dm file right there.