.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 25th, 2009, 03:39 PM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road
Default Best Turmoil Luck Nations

Just curious what people think about that combo. Obviously it's more effective for some nations than others, but I'm curious to see if anyone unexpected shows up on the list...

So far some good comments in general on those scales, here's the listed nations:

Kailasa
EA/MA Pangaea
Mictlan
Ermor (all ages?)
LA Ermor and R'lyeh
and...
Blood nations generically.

Last edited by licker; February 25th, 2009 at 04:56 PM..
Old February 25th, 2009, 03:51 PM

Colonel

DonCorazon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Turmoil Luck Nations

I won't play Turmoil/Luck anymore. I know others will defend it but I have never been able to deal with the lost income from Turmoil over the long run. I do like Luck, and every now and then will play some Order / Luck despite the lack of synergies, usually in a graphs on game where I want some hidden gem/gold income, but even that I do less of these days.

A recent MP game I am in with Order 3 / Misf 2 - first turn got a +750gp event. Thats what I am talking about. Misf when things go bad, you say hey at least I got some design points out of it, when things go right, you feel like you worked the system. Luck is kind of the opposite feeling and when you get a string of bad events you are like wtf, I paid for these scales!
i crossed blades with the mightiest warriors of the golden age. i witnessed with sorrow the schism that led to the passing of legends. now my sword hangs in its scabbard, with nothing but memories to keep it warm.
The Following User Says Thank You to DonCorazon For This Useful Post:
Old February 25th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Tifone is on a distinguished road

I'd say, a viable idea for everybody with a so pityful PD which won't stand barbarians/knights attacks without being doomed to lose the province. And nations which benefit on the long run way more from gems than from gold.

Given this, Kailasa truly comes to mind, to begin. I'll think about others
Old February 25th, 2009, 04:07 PM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

EA/MA Pangaea are a classic reference here, so I'll get them out of the way early on.
Old February 25th, 2009, 04:07 PM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

Mictlan is a classic turmoil/luck nation.

Low resource troops.

0 gold cost summons for mid/late game.

Order is useless when blood hunting with tax 0, as you should be with Mictlan.
You after be careful managing upkeep with Mictlan, for example with a, 'normal' nation you may end up with upkeep 1000 - 3000+, with Mictlan your upkeep should never really be much over 500 - 1000 gps. I am talking about 40 - 100 provinces here.

Always be on the look out for gold mines with Mictlan or any other turmoil nation. Tax / patrol / pillage to 0 population, then leave permanently at 200 tax to maximise income. Nice side effect of inflicting some nasty starvation effects on any invading armies.

Last edited by Meglobob; February 25th, 2009 at 04:16 PM..
Old February 25th, 2009, 04:10 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorazon View Post
I won't play Turmoil/Luck anymore. I know others will defend it but I have never been able to deal with the lost income from Turmoil over the long run. I do like Luck, and every now and then will play some Order / Luck despite the lack of synergies, usually in a graphs on game where I want some hidden gem/gold income, but even that I do less of these days.

A recent MP game I am in with Order 3 / Misf 2 - first turn got a +750gp event. Thats what I am talking about. Misf when things go bad, you say hey at least I got some design points out of it, when things go right, you feel like you worked the system. Luck is kind of the opposite feeling and when you get a string of bad events you are like wtf, I paid for these scales!
I agree with you. But what people seem to miss is that you don't have to take 3/3 scales all the time. I've been playing around with turmoil 1 and luck 2 and it's a good balance.
Old February 25th, 2009, 04:12 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Definetly EA/MA Pangaea.
You can also take low production. Using the extra points to push Magic, or Growth can be a useful build.

There are others where you can play without much reliance on armored troops. Nations which have a high capablity for stealth, or assassins, or seducers, or mages. Anywhere that the protections are more likely to come from gems than the equipment that comes on purchased units.

--
per peer-pressure preoccupation
My maps, mods, and mullings can be found at
http://www.Dom3Minions.com
Old February 25th, 2009, 04:24 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

The worst misconception, in my eyes, is that if you are taking 3Luck, you MUST take 3Turmoil in order to "maximize" your events.

You may be maximizing your events, but you are killing your baseline income to do so, and this is why the Luck vs Order debates always seem to point in favor of Order.

I find that you can optimize the benefits of 3Luck by (depending on if you are going to go Blood later, or other factors) taking between 1Turmoil, and 1Order. Your base income hit is much lower, and you don't have to get huge to get all of your events, like with 3Order/3Luck. Compare 0Order/3Luck against 3Order/0Luck, and point cost is the same - so if you don't absolutely need a constant income, it's often better because of items/gems/heroes that you get for free, and can't really put a pricetag on.

That said, the nations that can get by best with a Luck build, are often the heavy Blood, or heavy Bless nations. Honestly I think it would be easier to compile a list of all the nations that it's almost suicide to not take 3Order, such as Vanheim and Tir n'a n'Og, whose glamoured troops are so horribly gold expensive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JimMorrison For This Useful Post:
Old February 25th, 2009, 04:30 PM

Sergeant

fungalreason is on a distinguished road

A small maps can potentially make turmoil/luck good for any nation, since one of the main arguments against luck is the cap on the number of events per turn.

Ermor might be another candidate since you'll lose the taxable population soon anyway.
Old February 25th, 2009, 04:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

Tolkien is on a distinguished road

LA Ermor and R'lyeh are classic examples of a Turmoil/Luck nation.