.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old November 3rd, 2006, 07:13 PM

First Lieutenant

Zen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What sorts of maps do we need?

Some good MP maps would be non-startcenter maps between the 8-10 player range.

I am also more in favor of a heavily tested spread of indies, especially scout provinces, amazons, terrain.

Your maps are always beautiful, where I usually find problems is with the neighbor paths and the terrain tagging.

I would also like a heavy water map of the 3-5 player style (All 3 water nations, 2-3 land nations) with a creative use of seas and sailing since that adds quite a bit of fun to those unit abilities/nations.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:40 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

The generator does OK.
I will be providing some maximum sized generated maps which most people cant create.

I think that balanced MP maps are needed. Approaching almost a chessboard balance so that no one can claim a "bad position" affected the outcome.

I also think scenario would be good. Have you looked at the MODs that Amos is doing?
Angelic Crusade
Stigian Corruption
Trade Confederation
Blood Elves
The concensus is that they are abit too powerful for competitive play but would make excellent scenario for a challenging opponent and a good storyline.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:20 PM

Private

Lion69 is on a distinguished road

How about a port of the Faerun map to Dom 3
that map is simply awesome
Old November 4th, 2006, 04:59 AM

Corporal

Jason_Lutes is on a distinguished road
Default What sorts of maps do we need?

I've finished up an Early Ages scenario map that's still being tested, and I'm thinking about what sort of map to tackle next.

The main question I have for the Dominions community is, where are the worst gaps in map selection? We have the map generator, of course, but augmenting that with a good selection of custom maps seems like a good idea. With that in mind, what sorts of custom maps would you like to see? What size (number of players, provinces per player) do you feel is most needed?

Any feedback would be appreciated. I'd like to make maps that fill an existing need, so let me know your ideas.
Old November 4th, 2006, 05:19 AM

Major

Morkilus is on a distinguished road

I really like the idea of "scenario" type maps, so here's my vote for a late and middle age version! Perhaps with jungles so Machaka, Bandar Log and Mictlan can duke it out.
Old November 4th, 2006, 04:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road

I definitely want to see Faerun in Doms 3 ASAP, but to answer the original question, I think a scenario-like map with all custom content would be cool.

Custom indies.
Custom magic sites.
Custom indie thugs/SCs (is this possible?)
Custom populations and income/resources levels.

All of the above strategically located and coordinated with terrain types. Not all terrain types need to be used in one map, every time.

=$= Big J Money =%=
Old November 4th, 2006, 04:51 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

I'd like to see maps with thematic "kingdoms" of indies that could be taken to the point where they are rudimentary custom nations (ie modded) nations. An indie kingdom would have five provinces, one central province with a castle and all that and four surrounding provinces. They would be very tough to tackle on indie scale but the reward would be a castle and their "starting site". If taken to the point where they are custom nations they could even fight back...

...a less extreme one would simply be a map with a lot of custom content. I think there was one a Dom 2 map that took one of the preset maps and made it so that players started with a small "kingdom" that had stuff like pre-found magic sites thematic to the nation and some extra commanders and such....pity I forgot the name of it. It was great fun.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old November 4th, 2006, 06:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I think I mentioned that on my Dom2 site.
Quote:

An excellent example of a well thought out and designed game is the work of Peter Ebbesen called "Orania the Nasty Edition". Each race has specific starting locations with multiple starting provinces. There are additional castles, commanders assigned, equipment given, troops, and magic sites. All making logical sense within the theme of that nation. If you want to try that game it can be gotten from HERE. The Pros and Cons is while it is a great game to play, it might have a limited replayability factor.
http://pi2r.homepage.dk/dominions2/s...aniane_1_0.zip

It was part of the concept for my Semi-Random project where I would try to achieve the same thing but done by a program generating randoms within reasonable limits so that it had more replayability.

Its also what I had in mind when I said that someone should create a map scenario around Amos mods. Do what was sone on Nasty Orania but even farther (build the god, pad the opponent, make it really hard to beat)
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old November 4th, 2006, 08:38 PM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road

I would love to see a 2-4 player map for duels and quick games!

Love your maps! Thanks for making them!

Pasha
Old November 4th, 2006, 08:47 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Hmmm, I'd like 150-some-provinces sized map, good for 6-10 players, and with some "theme", maybe coming with a scripted map. This makes a map more flavorful and unique