.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 7th, 2010, 12:35 PM

Private

zegc-ben is on a distinguished road
Default Price of magic items

I am a newbie and I was thinking of doing some intensive trade of magic item as middle age Vanheim but I have no idea of the prices I should ask.

I think the answer should depend several factor mostly :
importance of a single item (low for generic thug items, relatively hight for early game god SC gear, very hight for path bosters whicht enlock a path, ...)
ability for the buyer nation to make the item on his own

I woulb be expecially interested by the price of a dwarven hammer before turn 10.
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:06 PM

First Lieutenant

13lackGu4rd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Price of magic items

Quote:
Originally Posted by zegc-ben View Post
I am a newbie and I was thinking of doing some intensive trade of magic item as middle age Vanheim but I have no idea of the prices I should ask.

I think the answer should depend several factor mostly :
importance of a single item (low for generic thug items, relatively hight for early game god SC gear, very hight for path bosters whicht enlock a path, ...)
ability for the buyer nation to make the item on his own

I woulb be expecially interested by the price of a dwarven hammer before turn 10.
like everything else in economics, it's all about supply and demand. in this case your limiting factors are gems and mage turns. the demand varies between the different nations, game settings, stage of the game(early, mid, late), etc. so basically a good price to ask is composed of the following: the item's cost(before or after hammer, don't include other bonuses, they're pure profit for you)+the value of your mage turns(pretty subjective and relative)+how important the item is to whoever you're trading it for(again, subjective and relative)+basic profit you want to make. so there's no way to come up with a magic item, but this should be your starting guideline, and with experience you'll have a better idea on how to evaluate these subjective values.
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:32 PM

Private

zegc-ben is on a distinguished road

I enderstand perfectly well that price are given by the link between offer and demand, but since I seems difficult to organize an auction I have to offer a price. So I would reform my question as : depending on your nation, ... what would be the maximum price you would accept to pay for a magic item (excluding very situatianal need in the first time). In other word I want to have an idea of the demand.
Old March 7th, 2010, 03:02 PM

First Lieutenant

13lackGu4rd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zegc-ben View Post
I enderstand perfectly well that price are given by the link between offer and demand, but since I seems difficult to organize an auction I have to offer a price. So I would reform my question as : depending on your nation, ... what would be the maximum price you would accept to pay for a magic item (excluding very situatianal need in the first time). In other word I want to have an idea of the demand.
the thing is that the demand is very relative to the game you're in, your nation, your opponents, the stage of the game(early, mid, late) and more. so I can't just tell you, "Helheim should pay max 40A gems for a Staff of Storms" or something along those lines... there are just too many variables to tell you what the demand is going to be, just like in real life... supply and demand are ever fluctuating... I did try to give you the basic formula on which to insert the different variables(once you know them), and that's the most I can do to help you outside of a specific situation...
Old March 7th, 2010, 03:56 PM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

Remember that there is a value in the goodwill factor too. Selling an item for the base cost can be a good idea if you value the diplomatic relationship.

Other than that, I usually look for deals where I can trade something I need for something the other player needs. That way you can stick to the basic gem cost and still feel like both players had a benefit. (like I give you 3 air boosters for a ring of wizardry or something like that)
Old March 7th, 2010, 04:02 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Of course demand varies, based on all the factors you listed and more. To take it even farther, you might give items away to an ally who you needed to keep alive against a mutual enemy and you might refuse to sell some things to other nations at any price.

That doesn't mean there isn't common usage under most circumstances. Is there a general consensus for what is considered fair compensation for mage/hammer time?
Old March 7th, 2010, 04:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeff View Post
Of course demand varies, based on all the factors you listed and more. To take it even farther, you might give items away to an ally who you needed to keep alive against a mutual enemy and you might refuse to sell some things to other nations at any price.

That doesn't mean there isn't common usage under most circumstances. Is there a general consensus for what is considered fair compensation for mage/hammer time?
I haven't found one, but you can use blood hunting as a baseline... If you have a three path mage (of the same path, not your weiner 3 1path mages), you can assume his turn is worth 8 blood slaves. A 1 path mage is only woth 2 or 3. So the big guy is worth a couple extra gems or more and the little ones are really only worth an extra gem on top of other profits.
Old March 7th, 2010, 04:12 PM

Sergeant

Stretch is on a distinguished road

I would definitely make sure you can send a receive private messages if you are going to partake in trading, zegc-ben! I looked at your profile and it didn't have the "send message" button. Forum private messages are the major way I interact with other players diplomatically in this game.