.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old March 11th, 2006, 09:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

OG_Gleep is on a distinguished road
Default Quick question

What can stop an opposing army from moving? Does a sneak attack from a hidden enemy, even if that enemy is destroyed, prevent the army from completing their move orders?
Old March 11th, 2006, 09:02 PM

Major

Wish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quick question

usually it is when an army from the place they are moving into attacks the province they start from, I think.
Old March 11th, 2006, 10:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

Who would get priority? Because thats the same exact order for both sides.
Old March 12th, 2006, 12:26 AM

Corporal

castigated is on a distinguished road

i've long suspected that in this case, the army moving in the province with a lower province number goes first. i have never really tested this theory, though.

<font color="orange">???</font> - God of <font color="orange">???</font> in RAND2
<font color="purple">Helios</font> - God of <font color="red">Marignon</font> in The Animal Kingdom
<font color="white">Senator Jargramar</font> - God of <font color="blue">R'lyeh</font> in The Senate of Dragons
Old March 12th, 2006, 01:04 AM

Major

hmm, thats a good question. I've often found that, in my past experiences, both armies, or whats left of them, remain in their provinces. It might have something to do with army size as well, I don't know.
Old March 12th, 2006, 06:05 AM

Second Lieutenant

If that were true, you could keep an enemy away by spamming scouts every turn and sending them at your enemy keeping him in place.
Old March 12th, 2006, 06:38 AM

Corporal

castigated is on a distinguished road

someone needs to test this. this coudl put a whole new spin on the game, making lower-numbered provinces more valuable.

it's probably just random, though, in which case nothing will be changed.

<font color="orange">???</font> - God of <font color="orange">???</font> in RAND2
<font color="purple">Helios</font> - God of <font color="red">Marignon</font> in The Animal Kingdom
<font color="white">Senator Jargramar</font> - God of <font color="blue">R'lyeh</font> in The Senate of Dragons
Old March 13th, 2006, 01:30 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
OG_Gleep said:
What can stop an opposing army from moving? Does a sneak attack from a hidden enemy, even if that enemy is destroyed, prevent the army from completing their move orders?
I had an army with several commanders lay siege to an enemies castle. Then took some of my siege to move into a nearby province... found they didn't move and the only reason I saw was my opponent tried breaking my siege.
Old March 13th, 2006, 05:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

I was a bit cryptic because the situation was in a MP game. Since the whole situation is resolved I can explain what happened (gooo Vanheim!).

I was one step out from Tien Chi capitol. Shovah might be right here, because I was trying to move into TC from a higher number province. Everything was totally normal, and I changed all the sneaking units except one to have move orders instead of sneak.

When I downloaded the new turn, the army was still in its original place, and there had been a battle in that province that the army participated in. The only unit to move into Tien Chi was the sneaking druid.

So this turn, I notice his VQ is one step out, coming back to help defend the fort. I have 3 scouts within reach of her. One actually hiding within the province the VQ is in, and 2 one step away, one in a higher number province, one in a lower number province. I set the hiding scout to attack, and the 2 other scouts to move in.

The VQ made it to TC after I had stormed the castle, and all 3 scouts made it through the turn without having fought a battle.

So it has to be something more then just provinces and stealth. It may have something to do surrounding castle provinces,that is the only common thread between NTJedi's situation and mine that I can see. It could be the combination of the castle and the province numbers.

Is there any chance that two armies moving into opposite provinces will meet? I could have sworn this shouldn't happen...but in the case of the scouts, the VQ was moving into TC, but the scouts were moving from other provinces.
Old March 13th, 2006, 06:46 PM

Major

note the VQ was sneaking into TC, I think she ended up outside primarily because she no longer had a castle to sneak into.