.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old November 4th, 2012, 04:11 AM

Sergeant

mkr8683 is on a distinguished road
Default Mega Campaigns?

Is there any possibility of ever seeing mega campaigns for the Camo games, in the style of SP:WaW? Some way of adding extra screens for strategic maps, 'decorations' for victories, multiple battle paths throughout the campaign, extra screens with historical information and tidbits, etc.

Matt
Old November 4th, 2012, 08:01 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,496 Times in 2,715 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Most of that is just chrome, we prefer, if we are going to spend hours adding code etc , to add substance. We've allowed multiple paths through campaigns for years depending on the victory conditions met. That said, nither Andy nor I have played a "Mega Campaign" and it's a safe bet we never will. If anyone else has asked for this in all the years we've been upgrading the game, I don't recal.

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old November 4th, 2012, 02:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

Warhero is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mega Campaigns?

Btw, Matrix games had more people/time/resources(I suppose?) to making Mega Campaigns than only Don & Andy for WinMBT/WW2...
Old November 4th, 2012, 03:08 PM

Sergeant

The idea was kicked around in another thread - http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...=mega+campaign - but they may not have meant the same thing.

It's possible to do all of that in separate documents included with the campaign files that one could pull up and read before starting a scenario, and I agree that it's all chrome, but the MCs gave a real feel of immersion and deeper interaction. Also, after fighting a battle, there were often at least four scenario options, with one usually being hypothetical. There were numerous tactical decisions to made, as well, after finishing a scenario.

Matrix produced three or four MCs, but never released the editor and sold them in CD format. The separate documents would work fine, but it would be awesome to be able to create Camo MCs.
Old November 19th, 2012, 05:07 AM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkr8683 View Post
The idea was kicked around in another thread - http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...=mega+campaign - but they may not have meant the same thing.
What was talked about there was really more of an extremely intricate campaign using the existing engine where you had multiple branches (so yes a sort of Mega Campaign without all the extra fluff). Eventually it resulted in the Vietnam Campaign Project and the ANZAC Campaign. All the main links to the latter are messed up due to gamesquad's re-organization of the Steel Panther section but I could probably locate and link to the threads manually if there is enough interest in looking them over.

WinSP does allow for multiple branching through the use of the Victory Levels and with some effort can pretty much match the Mega Campaigns in many ways except the in-between scenario imagery stuff. WinSP can actually be designed to mimic the follow up scenario choices in Mega Campaigns by the designer inserting "pathing scenarios" at certain points of the campaign.

The Campaign Editor is a lot more powerful and flexible than many people realize, you just have to spend the time learning its capabilities and how to bend it to your wishes.
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:41 AM

Sergeant

DD - Thanks for the answer; if anyone besides Don and Andy would know, it would be you. I actually sent you an email to your Combat Campaigns website about a month ago asking for some tips about the editor.

Matt
Old November 21st, 2012, 11:03 AM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkr8683 View Post
DD - Thanks for the answer; if anyone besides Don and Andy would know, it would be you. I actually sent you an email to your Combat Campaigns website about a month ago asking for some tips about the editor.

Matt
Hmm, might have been filtered out, I have the spam filtering set pretty aggressively. Can you pm me here or wait a few hours and resend your email, I'll have the spam assassins stand down for a few days, then whitelist your address to make sure it gets through from hereafter.
Old November 24th, 2012, 08:54 AM

Sergeant

PM sent.