.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old April 20th, 2005, 12:31 AM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Mod Release: An Age Aside

Quote:
Endoperez said:

Few things that would spice things up:
*Give the animal/charmer nation Wolfherds, make Summon Animals their national spell and make it slightly cheaper. Take away most recruitable animals so that they won't have to pay too much upkeep for the summoned critters.
*For more Ielyft creatures, check the R'lyeh mod 'False Dawn '
*consider giving some nations unique starting units, kind of heroes that exist from the beginning.
These sound like good ideas, the only reason I did not give them the summon animals spell was because I shied away from stealing to many spells to be nation only.

On balance, I would rather weaken one strong nation than have to strengthen all of the rest. Though perhaps a national starting hero for most would be do-able.

80 may be a bit much for resource cost, but on the other hand, mech men are one of the best summons out there.
Old April 20th, 2005, 02:31 PM

Corporal

Ighalli is on a distinguished road

This is a pretty interesting mod!
Here are a few thoughts I have on it after loading it up: I'd say give the horse brothers the blood henge druids, which would kill two birds with one stone (mages in general and the blood thing). I'd say go ahead and steal the summon animals spell (I'd mod it to less effects and way less gems, similar to vine men stuff) because it's rarely, if ever, used in a normal game. I also think that while you're making CH and MM cost resources only, you should do that with some of the other units that are normally summoned. Maybe a succubus could be 666 resources and the animals and illusion troops could be similarly repriced. I'm not sure how resource only troops are balanced, but it makes a little more sense in my mind, at least.
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:58 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Ighalli said:
This is a pretty interesting mod!
Here are a few thoughts I have on it after loading it up: I'd say give the horse brothers the blood henge druids, which would kill two birds with one stone (mages in general and the blood thing). I'd say go ahead and steal the summon animals spell (I'd mod it to less effects and way less gems, similar to vine men stuff) because it's rarely, if ever, used in a normal game. I also think that while you're making CH and MM cost resources only, you should do that with some of the other units that are normally summoned. Maybe a succubus could be 666 resources and the animals and illusion troops could be similarly repriced. I'm not sure how resource only troops are balanced, but it makes a little more sense in my mind, at least.
I could give them bloodhenge, but I would prefer to keep blood a minor part of the nation.

I'm not sure how 0 resource units balance either, but from a thematic standpoint only the mech men and clockwork horrors makes sense to be resource only.
Old April 20th, 2005, 07:24 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

So when is the test game??
Old April 20th, 2005, 08:03 PM

Corporal

Ighalli is on a distinguished road

Why do you think that those should be free? They're made of complicated machines. Someone has to get the metal (resources, but some of the metal might be rare) and make the 6 foot tall watch (lots of gold). They would need constant repairs and maintenaince (upkeep). Illusions and spiders on the other hand dont seem like they'd draw a salary, of course like you said it could repepresent the summoning costs and so forth.
Old April 20th, 2005, 09:16 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Ighalli said:
Why do you think that those should be free? They're made of complicated machines. Someone has to get the metal (resources, but some of the metal might be rare) and make the 6 foot tall watch (lots of gold). They would need constant repairs and maintenaince (upkeep). Illusions and spiders on the other hand dont seem like they'd draw a salary, of course like you said it could repepresent the summoning costs and so forth.
I will admit the resource only cost for mech men is not perfect, but I really have a hard time imagining what phantasmals would do with resources.

EDIT: I will probably try to do the test game as a #dominions IRC channel game.
Old April 21st, 2005, 04:18 AM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Finally had some time to sit down and look at the mod. Very cool! Many of these nations have some really interesting flavors and I am definitely looking forward to the test game. One thing that I did note, overall, was that most nations have very low resource costs. You could take sloth-3 and still get away with full production, probably.

Chacz - Gnomes are a really good power/cost mage. Troggys maybe too strong?

Amber - Seems a little bland. Small shark mob will utterly own mermen

Noctis - need a stealthy leader, no way to capitalize on the villains

Cymr - fine

Arcana - WOW 20% const bonus in the cap? Thats huge. Odd that a nation with alchemy and a +100gp site has no elite troops which require gold

Gurgac - give the troops poison res 90-95 so bog beasts can be deployed without massive friendly casualties.

Wessan - great concept! no priests means miltia/slinger only forces will be hard to field. very slow starting nation here. combat training a nice touch but misplaced with this kind of military?

Predar - whoa! watchers dont cost enough. put 5 of them in the gate of any fort and they are deadly. Warrior Mage == 50% chance thug. War Academy is a great touch. The Ward begs for blood hunting.

Haidron - Some nice touches but limited recruiting and magic will result in a bland military makeup. Summoning sites were really neat. Really effective blood hunters.

Telm - Nicely put together. Love the flavor text for this one, its really applicable.

Fey - Very cool. Will be fun to deploy Elf Shot in large numbers, see how that goes. Hama Dryad is a nice touch: "fanatic" defense of the home trees, eh? Enchantment bonus is great too. Hello mother oak!

Ieyl - Another cool concept. With no resources, there is only the ... what is it 30-40 unit production max per fort. So you can produce your max units anywhere, anytime, so long as you have gold (and a fort). This nation will be fast on offense and reactive on defense. Watchtower without question.

Vaetti - Ok, but fey seems better in terms of a stealth nation. Plus, I am not sure that this one has the backbone for combat. Gyjgas would be good summoners tho? Bloodhunting, perhaps?

Univen - Fine. I like the mini mind-blasting guys.

Ailat - No troop of the line. Maybe elementals are supposed to be that? Blessable archers is cool but what blessing other than W9 would be useful for them. Night Rider over priced, even for an assassin.

Hoburgs - No need to review this one.

Minra - Diversity of animals is great... But with the availability of recruitable Animists they will all be set aside in favor of Vine Ogres to Infinity. Maybe some hawks for flying and lions for cav. Centaur chariot morale WAY too low.
Old April 28th, 2005, 06:27 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanks for all of the input, here is a new version taking many of them into account.

Changes:

*Mech men now cost resources

*Troglodytes are more expensive

*Ettins are cheaper

*Sharks are more expensive

*Moon mages are stealthy

*Arcana no longer has archers

*Watchers are more expensive

*Phantasmal knights are more expensive

*Horse brothers now have a blood pick and an elemental random

*Minralsha overhauled: Enchanters are priests, centaur chariots have better morale and sacred, can recruit wolfherds, summon animals becomes a nation spell costing 4 gems, lose ability to recruit any animals but hawks and boars.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 351175-An Age Aside.zip (37.6 KB, 93 views)
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:04 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Very neat!
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:30 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
PvK said:
Very neat!
Thanks.

Based on a test MP game of the mod, here is a new version with the following changes:

*Changed the .dm file from An Age Aside.dm to AnAgeAside.dm, due to a problem with multiplayer games with mods with spaces.

*Fixed post-20-point Cymraeg PD which was wrong due to a typo.

*Gave onyx priestess 50 leadership as they should be Chaczara's main leaders.

*Took the price of ettins back up.

*Overhaul of Telmorna (Minotaurs no longer capital only, gem income is now all fire, Fire Lords have higher leadership, replaced gryphon riders with gryphons, added gryphon tamer commander).
Attached Files
File Type: zip 352420-An_Age_Aside.zip (37.8 KB, 98 views)