.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 8th, 2006, 01:45 PM

Sergeant

Beorne is on a distinguished road
Default My wishes, what the devs should focus into

First sorry for my not perfect English.
Dom3 has been out from less than a week and I see tens of requests/enhancements threads, most focussing on big enhancements, new options, ai improvement and so on. I think the best thing devs should work into is bug correction and enhancing the background/flavor of the game. Is very important that units are like the descriptions, and descriptions be creative and rich.
The rant I found most interesting has been that of rev. Zombie about Pangea and Marignon and Man losing their fascination because of inconsistencies.
For me Dom2 is much better than the rest of strategic games not for technicalities or sp or mp playability, but from the very professional and creative work Kristoffer O has put in the background. I think this is the field where the devs should play, correcting inconsistencies and enhancing atmosphere. I don't bear a lot there isn't a shortcut key to make something or ai is't so expert. I mind about seeing a carrion walking quietly around in an almost industrialized nation.
Aside that, making AI improvement is a very difficult, time consuming and bug forging activity, while making creative work on consistency and background is much more rewarding.
My two cents.
Old October 8th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Sergeant

PrinzMegaherz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My wishes, what the devs should focus into

I think it was a rather good decission to combine carrion woods with normal pangaea, as carrion woods was one of the weaker themes out there and in some aspects just a cheap copy of ashen empire.
The new late era pangaea gives you a choice: You can play as you would have played with the old theme, using the carrion woods spell to erradicate the population, or you can use the normal troops. Having a choice is not a bad thing, if you would like to play late era as carrion woods, then by all means, do so.
Old October 8th, 2006, 05:20 PM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

You mean - you have the choice of wasting a global spell slot to try and play as Carrion Woods, with the inevitableness of it being dispelled or over-ridden when someone else casts a global. Not to mention that it then becomes, as Beorne said, a mishmash with carrion critters wandering around alongside the regular armies.

Essentially it seems that some favorite (CW, LotT, possibly others) and most interesting themes have been removed from the game.
Old October 8th, 2006, 05:27 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Indeed, the kitbashing of the nations seems not only very unaesthetic but also...dare I say...a cop-out.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old October 8th, 2006, 05:38 PM

Corporal

AAshbery76 is on a distinguished road

A.I is much more important.A bet the majority who bought DOM3 will only play singleplayer.
Old October 8th, 2006, 05:40 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Cainehill said:
You mean - you have the choice of wasting a global spell slot to try and play as Carrion Woods, with the inevitableness of it being dispelled or over-ridden when someone else casts a global. Not to mention that it then becomes, as Beorne said, a mishmash with carrion critters wandering around alongside the regular armies.

Essentially it seems that some favorite (CW, LotT, possibly others) and most interesting themes have been removed from the game.
I'm a bit divided on the global CW. I like it a lot, but I'm not too fond of the possibility of dispelling it. I would have preferred if it was a permanent change. I don't remember how the spell works and I don't have an manual yet, so I cant really tell, but IIRC the population starts to die in the CW now as well, wich is as before, so I'm not sure about the mishmash. Also I don't think the combination of vengeful satyrs and vengeful dead satyrs is a mismash.

Regarding LotT I'm a bit perplexed that people seem to like it. I never liked the theme. It felt as a rather bad rendering of what it should have been. Also it had ugly graphics I was rather glad to get rid of them as they did not fit in the history (being an alternative storyline). Tuatha will appear in a new and nicer shape as an early nation at a later date.
Old October 8th, 2006, 05:53 PM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
AAshbery76 said:
A.I is much more important.A bet the majority who bought DOM3 will only play singleplayer.
I think this is very true. Good AI is a MUST, even if it cheats to compete with a person.

80% - 90% of games players only play SP. Dominions might have a higher % of MP, as its got a reputation as a MP game, but even so, doubt MP makes up more than 20% - 30% of dominions 3 players.

Just look at how many multiplayer (PBEM) games have been started via the Dom3 multiplayer thread on this website, 0, yes zero.
Old October 8th, 2006, 05:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road

What's the deal with the Sauromatia/Pythia relationship? The Sauromatians now get the Hydras; their description says they get them "from the swamps of Pythia", but Pythium isn't even around yet. I'm a little confused by that. Does it mean the swamplands that will one day be Pythia?

By the way, I love the overviews of all the nations in the manual, they are excellent.

=$=
Old October 8th, 2006, 06:01 PM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Meglobob said:
Just look at how many multiplayer (PBEM) games have been started via the Dom3 multiplayer thread on this website, 0, yes zero.
Well, most people have had the game less than a week (some of us are still waiting for our copy to arrive), and Dominions isn't the shallow sort of game you're likely to leap immediately into a long-term MP game with.
Old October 8th, 2006, 06:05 PM

Corporal

Tortanick is on a distinguished road

Kristoffer, the missmatch is between civilised satyrs and vengfull satyres.

Personally I'd split them into two nations, new era has absolutely none of the old nature connection left. So no black halfmen, no carrion spells, no blood magic.

And a second nation that splintered off in disgust when civilisation got too strong. They shun all technology and fight with blind rage and magic. They get Carrion spells, black half men, and much stronger magic in general. No centaurs though they all went to civiliseation.