This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old October 18th, 2005, 02:39 PM

Major

Curt Pangracs is on a distinguished road
Default At the Risk of Starting an Argument...

...I have played the SP series in all of its iterations over lo these many years, and just recently purchased the WinSPMBT version. I did this mainly because of the increased resolutions.

As I have evolved as a gamer and game designer, I marvel that the terrain used in the SP series hasn't kept pace. I'm not disparaging the game more than I am questioning the theory behind not going with a less "gamey" look and embracing softer colors and smoother renderings.

I understand the difficulties that a hex-based game presents with its limitations on the types of terrain available, but I would think that an upgrade to the map engine and editing would have been a priority in the latest version of SPMBT. I have absolutely NO experience in working with the design of hex-based games, as all of my commercial and professional map design experience is with the DTED elevation maps in the ATF series and the basic terrain blocks in TacOps and Decisive Action, so I may just be talking out of my proverbial rectum here.

I would think that there "should" be the ability to create/import .jpg or .bmp files as the color map, overlay that map with the generic hex grid, have the map program "slice" the map, then allow the user to assign the different elevation/terrain/movement/defense data to each hex as needed. I believe this is also the concept behind ADC2, but I'm only guessing.

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here, but I truly believe SPMBT can be a visually stunning and enjoyable game in addition to its engrossing style of gameplay.

Thoughts? Comments? Vulgar slurs?!

All the best to a great gaming community,

Curt
Old October 18th, 2005, 05:06 PM

Sergeant

junk2drive is on a distinguished road
Default Re: At the Risk of Starting an Argument...

Curt I dl'd the demo for TSATC as I am looking for yet another gaming experience. I found it less than user friendly. I have no prior experience with that type of game. IOW I was lost. I'll try it again this weekend.
At another forum I read about a difference in counters from RT and TSATC. BFC's CMC has people asking for counters instead of 3D icons and 2D topdown views.
My point is that some people are happy the way things are and others want them different. Game companies must decide how high or low computer requirements will be for graphics and gameplay. Maybe Camo leaves things as they are for any number of reasons.
Old October 18th, 2005, 05:40 PM

Major

Quote:
junk2drive said:
Curt I dl'd the demo for TSATC as I am looking for yet another gaming experience. I found it less than user friendly. I have no prior experience with that type of game. IOW I was lost. I'll try it again this weekend.
At another forum I read about a difference in counters from RT and TSATC. BFC's CMC has people asking for counters instead of 3D icons and 2D topdown views.
My point is that some people are happy the way things are and others want them different. Game companies must decide how high or low computer requirements will be for graphics and gameplay. Maybe Camo leaves things as they are for any number of reasons.
This is exactly why I posted! I'm kind of wondering if terrain/map improvements are things the community are interested in, or even if the Camo folks are interested in it. I am interested in it, as I think it may appeal to great many gamers.

As for my games, if you have specific problems or questions, pop over to the TSATC forum and I'll address them there.

Curt
Old October 18th, 2005, 10:34 PM

Corporal

Pepper is on a distinguished road

I think the ability to create maps in game is excellent. I also think the ability to import map images would be a fantastic option as well. For grognards who thrive on realism, the ability to use real maps as the playing field would truly be a boon and a great time saver (as the creation of such accurate maps is very time consuming).
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:43 AM

Colonel

Pyros is on a distinguished road

Hi Curt,

Although I found this a good idea, there are several issues that could complicate things:

1. The process of importing an Aerial photo (tactical level) could be somehow tricky for the novice designer.
2. To insert the correct parameters in each hex could prove to be a nightmare for the designer (even the experienced one).
I am working with 200 x 160 hex maps which gives aprox...32,000 hexes !!!
3. One of the best features of the game is the Auto-map generating ability that gives the random factor to all games (especially Pbem games). I am not sure how this may work with the import map process.

cheers,
Pyros
Old October 19th, 2005, 11:04 AM

Major

Pyros,

The problems you bring up should be easily overcome with a generic "terrain-layering" feature. The ability to layer the complete map in an initial, underlying terrain type (desert/forest/snow, etc.), then you would only need to change elevation, roads, urban and such. This would drastically reduce the number of hexes requiring individual attention.

Better still would be the option to select any number of hexes and apply any number of terrain attributes to those hexes selected.

More meandering here, but I'm not suggesting you scrap the entire auto-generation and other current mapmaking tools, just the possibility of adding some options.