ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old November 1st, 2005, 10:01 AM

Sergeant

JaM is on a distinguished road
Default LCD monitors and WinSPMBT

I wanna buy a new monitor,so i have question how WinSpmbt looks at 17-19" LCD? Is it possible play it at 800x600 (in not native resolution)?
Old November 1st, 2005, 05:00 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LCD monitors and WinSPMBT

Quote:
JaM said:
I wanna buy a new monitor,so i have question how WinSpmbt looks at 17-19" LCD? Is it possible play it at 800x600 (in not native resolution)?
having always used real monitors, I have just bought 2 new PCs in the last month or so. Both have LCDS.

Both VERY dissapointing for playing games on really, or any sort of photo work. Especially anything with browns on them - e.g. trying to get the XP "autumn" backround to show anything other than a washed-out light khaki sort of colour.

One PC is a laptop - a basic IBM thinkpad, cheapes model (allegedly 700 UKP or so, I got mine in Staples for UKP 399 for any UKanians looking for a decent el-cheapo note taking laptop with radio network, 1024 screen decent keyboard and a proper stiff stick, not those flat pads your palms always hit on when typing !. I only verified that the game loaded and basically played o that one - it has a cheap integrated sound and vido, but seems OK. But washed out/over-exposed.

The other is a new Dell Dimension 5150 which I bought with thier "ultrasharp" 17 inch monitor (1280 by 1024) as opposed to the cheaper version. The new development box, the old Athlon XP box (with a fan like a vacum cleaner will be looking for a new home with an impoverished student, or someone who can lock it in a sound-proffed server room. The old Dell 98 box will be left in a corner, if I need to do anyy windows 98 compatibility testing.

Anyway - back to the LCD monitor. I like the autumn desktop. But not it would appear on any LCD screen I have seen.

I tried the OSD controls for contrast and brightness - ramming brightness to nil and contrast to nil helped quite a bit, but still not good. Everything still over exposed and washed out looking. Good for Running Word, or coding in the IDE (blue background scheme with yellow text mainly there). Games and photos - too much gamma. It is like loading a photo into irfanview etc, and then ramming the gamma to 1.4 or so, if viewed on a proper CRT monitor.

The same problem with another favourite desktop background - a T-80 charging through soe smoke and earth, which is a mid brown on a CRT, and light khaki on a LCD monitor.

I tried the "warmth" settings, as supplied in the OSD, the reddish one helped. It really needed a user setting with blue and green reduced, but then I noticed it was a bit red on word processing applications...

Dell sent the machine without loading the drivers for the monitor, so I loaded those and though the colour settings it used would sort things out. not really.

I had originally set the monitor up with the normal VGA cable. It kept giving internal monitor warnings about not being able to display that mode in analog , in full screen 1152 mode. Dug in the Dell box and found a DVI cable. Changing to DVI enabled it to play 1152 mode full screen DirectX. I do not think the cheaper 17 inch from Dell would have DVI.

I would say from that experience - if a gamer, you REQUIRE DVI. At least if you play full screen games like the sims 2 say. Seems DVI allows the graphics card to drive it at some resolutions analog wil not allow on a LCD.

I WILL be staying with the LCD screen, have gotten used to the slight wash-out, but disappointed really. Looking into hooking up the old iiyama 17 inch in paralell, if I can drive games on that and do programming and WP on the LCD (without having to faff about changing the cables manually).

The game plays fine on the thing, just looks as if someone is playing a halogen lamp onto the battlefield.

It is a 1280 monitor.

640 full screen - very pixellated
800 - a bit too fuzzy for my tastes
1024 - not too bad, a little fuzzy
1152 - quite acceptable
1280 - the LCD's natural resolution, so crisp as a bell
1600 - the 17 inch LCD cannot drive this, the 17 inch iiyama CRT has no problems

The LCD type monitor has to "interpolate" any non-native resolution, so anything full screen at less than the native resolution gets fuzzy. The smaller the resolution of the full-screen game the worse it gets. Also, when I had the VGA cable in, these lesser than native resolutions at full screen "swam" noticeably at about 30Hz (half the screen update) especially 800 and 640 mode. less of a problem with the DVI cable in place, but still noticeable at 640 by 480.

None of the modes caused any problems being played in windowed mode, other than 1600 which the 128MB x300 SE cannot run at higher than native resolution whatsoever on a LCD.

So - the game does play on LCD, but if you have access to a real CRT, use that. If your job is art-related, or you are a photographer etc, I would get a real CRT as well. Though apparently really expensive LCD screens are worth considering for art production (and presumably games - the stuff at the consumer end is only fit for word processing, email and web surfing etc.

I think if I had known before what I know now, I would have given any LCD screen (except on the laptop of course where it is part of the portability)a great big body-swerve, and just used the old iiyama 17 inch CRT.

I would advise you,if you can - to test any LCD you are thinking of buying against a "known" game, some photos with landscapes, or simply load the "autumn" desktop background and see if you can get that looking proper. Another thing - these background desktops are often stretched, which looks OK on CRT, the LCD seems to fuzz up a stretched background image a bit as well. Again, the fixed dots do not seem very good at interpolating pixels that are not a 1-1 fit with the native image.

Viewing angle is also not as good - you need to be straight-onrather more, and as I have 2 monitors on the desk, that can get a tad annoying. I'll look into getting tthis LCD in the central desk position, and the CRT off to one side, as the CRT is easily read from an angle.

Hmm - the other game I play a bit is Sims 2. I have not checked the resolution, but on the new PC, I am getting shader effects etc, though as the screen is (I think) 1024, I get some jagged edges due I think to the pixellation of trying to run at a lower res than native. I must try it on native, even if I lose some water effects etc. It's acceptable, but 150% better if I snap the iiyama real CRT monjitor on instead of the LCD Dell one. Much crisper. The video card is no problem - the LCD technological limitations are the fly in the ointment.

Bottom line - LCD and games, definately an underwhelming experience, compared with a real CRT monitor, which would probably be a third the price, if a bit bigger desktop footprint and weight.

Text does appear a lot crisper on the LCD - so may be worth it if most of what you wll be doing is word processing, and not games play

Overall impression - LCD only worthwhile for word processing, or where space is at a premium. A CRT monitor will display true colours, will play at multiple resolutions, and without over-gamma wash-out of browns, and some reds etc. CRT is cheaper too!.

Cheers
Andy
Old November 1st, 2005, 05:59 PM

Sergeant

JaM is on a distinguished road

Thanks Andy, this kind of info i looked everywhere on net but didnt found anything usefull. I have two possibilities: CRT Samsung 17" 793 or 19" 997 monitor or Philips 17" LCD 170B6. It is quite hard to find good CRT monitor...
Old November 2nd, 2005, 07:32 AM

No idea if this is the same model of LCD or close but try the reviews at pc pro UK:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/69377/philips-170x5fb.html

- they do not seem to have many CRT reviews these days, and in thier "A" list only seem to have 21 inch CRTs now.

My CRT is an iiyama HM703UT Vision Master Pro 413, 17 inch but able to do all modes up to 1600, though 1280 is probably the highest res I would use day-to day on it.

looking at on line shops they also seem to carry very few CRT these days - though the prices are good, 99 UKP for an iiyama 19 inch monitor that would have cost 300 UKP 2 or 3 years back.

Cheers
Andy
Old November 3rd, 2005, 06:19 AM

Corporal

TheDesertFox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
JaM said:
Hi JaM,

I would suggest considering the NEC LCD2080UX+ to you, itīs 20"LCD. Thatīs my monitor since I switched to a LCD from my old 19" Samsung Syncmaster 950P last year. The NEC is the best Monitor I ever worked with until now. Never would go back to a CRT again.

Native resolution of the NEC is 1600x1200 and the game looks awesome! It is also fast enough for FPS (Halflife, Doom, etc.), if you have interest in this stuff.

Price should be around 800 Euros.

http://www.prad.de/guide/screen870.html (german)

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/nec2080ux/ (english)

cheers

Helge
Old November 3rd, 2005, 06:32 AM

Corporal

TheDesertFox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Mobhack said:
Bottom line - LCD and games, definately an underwhelming experience, compared with a real CRT monitor, which would probably be a third the price, if a bit bigger desktop footprint and weight.

Andy,

sorry to hear about your bad experiences with LCDs, but it clearly depends on the quality of the monitor. Low end LCD stuff obviously isnīt up to a photorealistic experience, but if you climb some steps higher on the ladder (yeah you have to pay for that ) you get image quality way better than a 21" CRTs can offer.

Always a question of priorities and budget I guess.

cheers

Helge
Old November 3rd, 2005, 01:21 PM

True - but most users will be playing on the low-end stuff issued with the basic machine.

I had thought the extra few quid for the "ultra sharp" would make a difference (with CRT it often did, e.g the ability to see the highest screen mode at say 85mhz instead of flickering 60Hz).

Unfortunately at today's tech level it looks like you need to spend as much as the entire CPU unit cost, to get an LCD that is worth viewing the family photos on, let alone playing games.

Ah well - in 3 years, what is top end monitor tech now, will then be day to day.

Cheers
Andy
Old November 3rd, 2005, 06:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

Artur is on a distinguished road

I have a 17'' Viewsonic LCD monitor. I played the free version in 800X600 and the CD version in 1280X1024.

It all looked very well.

Artur.