Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Closed Thread

Old August 12th, 2008, 06:15 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Board - Props and Slops

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCompany View Post
I'm a afraid that by tommorrow this thread will be at page 20 or more.I'm saying this again,this thread should be a sticky.
If it's being replied to as much as it is now, it doesn't need to be stickied. As if something in the Shrapnel general forums could possibly go out of sight in under half a year...
Emergency comic relief
The Following User Says Thank You to lch For This Useful Post:
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:18 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I actually didn't know you could go straight to the first new post in the old forum either. Hmm. No way of checking now!
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:24 PM

Corporal

BadCompany is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzepi View Post
One remark.

I completely agree with what Baalz said, 100%. I found Mindi's tone aggressive, at the very least, to suggestions. To quote,

"but mostly what I'm hearing is "we decided to do it this way and its not open to discussion. Don't bug me with suggestions". "

that's exactly how I'm reading a lot of the comments. Especially when Minid puts a post up containing

"Also as previously stated, we may up the limits for PMs after things settle down on the new board; however, any of you who are hoping for a ridiculously high limit of 1000 per person will be greatly disappointed. You may think that those numbers are reasonable but I can assure you that most users were well under that number and that you are the ones in the severe minority if you need that much space"

Really, Mindi, you need to stop being so derisive of your user base for asking for functionality / making comments. There's a reason people have a lot of PMs on the forums, and one of the first things I noticed was the extremely low ceiling on the PMs. Personally I think that 300 is still far too low. 500 would be the bare minimum for me to feel like I haven't lost any functionality. I highly dislike the new site layout, which effectively does less per square inch. And taking away editing completely is really irritating from a user's standpoint. I edit posts /all the time/, especially when I hosts games, or when I'm writing a long reply.

I think an ideal solution would simply be to change the edit feature. Instead of replacing the OP with the edited post, the edit function should store the OP, then post up the edited post. This could be done each time an edit is made. Once the OP is 1 month old, and it's clear that the new post that has been edited in isn't there to cover up something inflammatory, automatically delete it. This would keep your overhead low, but allow you to see an edit by edit history of the posts, basically creating a paper trail to catch trolls and mediate disputes while maintaining the original functionality of the forums.

Jazzepi
I would be pretty mad too if I had anser all these complaints that are being repeated over and over again(why do you think this thread is over 10 pages long).All you did was whine not even giving noone a chance to make some corrections on the boards.Its alot of work.

This PM limit issue reminds me of the civilization revolution turn limit issue everyone was complaining about over at their forums,LOL.

Last edited by Annette; August 13th, 2008 at 11:24 AM..
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentZero View Post
That being said, I rather like the new look. I'm using a 22-inch widescreen monitor, and I actually like the fixed width, because it makes posts much easier to read than on forums that don't use a fixed width. I remember in some graphics design class or another, the teacher telling us that the human eye will only track over a certain number of words or letters before it starts to have trouble maintaining a fix on the line. I definitely notice that on forums that stretch posts out to the full width of a maximized window, but here, everything is nice and readable.
This is what I don't get.

Why do so many people (such as my parents) insist on maximizing everything on their computer? Just size the window to your own preferences, and you'll get text just as wide as you like it. As a bonus, you'll be able to glance over at the other windows; your IRC client, that download progress bar, whatever. If you leave the edges of all your other windows peeking out, you can switch to them quite easily.

Windows are resizable for a reason
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:25 PM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

Llamabeast, you should behave well now, I have found "Remove your thanks" option!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zeldor For This Useful Post:
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:33 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Annette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldor View Post
Llamabeast, you should behave well now, I have found "Remove your thanks" option!
LOL! thanks for the laugh!
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:34 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Richard, you can run this through a test board 10 times, it has nothing to do with the human aspect. No one is disparaging your technical prowess, we are just feeling as if our needs are being disregarded, for the aspirations of others.

Requesting that this discussion be terminated, and moved to a more formal and totally invisible complaint system, is a symptom of that very issue. We are discussing things here, and the whole thing has remained entirely civil, so I see no reason to squash the thread. If you're afraid that Mindi and Annette will simply pay too much attention to this thread, maybe that is so. They are tremendously patient with us, and I don't think there is enough appreciation that we can possibly lavish on them for not dropping PMs at us that say "quitcher*****in". :P

Regarding suggestions that game specific discussion be taken off site - I'm not sure I understand how this is in any way optimal for a PBEM game. IRC would be the medium of choice if we were playing for extended periods all together. Otherwise, due to the nature of the gameplay, and the nature of all of the scheming and plotting that is involved in a game of Dominions that takes 2-3 months to play through, the forum PM system is the ideal format - especially now with the ability to forward PMs to others.

The Shrapnel forums have always been the needle in the haystack. Suggesting that we go set up a special email to use only with Dominions, that we will have to manage separately for privacy and continuity concerns - just because the PM limits are similar to those used by other successful forums - is just plain ludicrous.

I think most people posting in this thread are displaying their ability to be rational and agreeable. We are not railing against change. We are feeling somewhat deprived and oppressed. The line between change and removal is not fine, nor is it mutable. Useful, appreciated, and integral portions of this forum no longer exist. Relating this to inventions and discoveries that universally enhance quality of life - could be construed as misleading at best.

<3
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimMorrison For This Useful Post:
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:38 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road

Jim, I can always count on you to spend far more time then me to say exactly what I want to say in a more eloquent fashion.

I'm glad you have nothing better to do with your time

Jazzepi
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:44 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Please do remove the "bad words" filter, it's silly. Or at least over-sensitive. We have moderation, I don't think we need it.
Emergency comic relief
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:47 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Annette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrison View Post
Richard, you can run this through a test board 10 times, it has nothing to do with the human aspect. No one is disparaging your technical prowess, we are just feeling as if our needs are being disregarded, for the aspirations of others.

Requesting that this discussion be terminated, and moved to a more formal and totally invisible complaint system, is a symptom of that very issue. We are discussing things here, and the whole thing has remained entirely civil, so I see no reason to squash the thread. If you're afraid that Mindi and Annette will simply pay too much attention to this thread, maybe that is so. They are tremendously patient with us, and I don't think there is enough appreciation that we can possibly lavish on them for not dropping PMs at us that say "quitcher*****in". :P

Regarding suggestions that game specific discussion be taken off site - I'm not sure I understand how this is in any way optimal for a PBEM game. IRC would be the medium of choice if we were playing for extended periods all together. Otherwise, due to the nature of the gameplay, and the nature of all of the scheming and plotting that is involved in a game of Dominions that takes 2-3 months to play through, the forum PM system is the ideal format - especially now with the ability to forward PMs to others.

The Shrapnel forums have always been the needle in the haystack. Suggesting that we go set up a special email to use only with Dominions, that we will have to manage separately for privacy and continuity concerns - just because the PM limits are similar to those used by other successful forums - is just plain ludicrous.

I think most people posting in this thread are displaying their ability to be rational and agreeable. We are not railing against change. We are feeling somewhat deprived and oppressed. The line between change and removal is not fine, nor is it mutable. Useful, appreciated, and integral portions of this forum no longer exist. Relating this to inventions and discoveries that universally enhance quality of life - could be construed as misleading at best.

<3
I just got angry for the first time today. We have asked repeatedly that specific issues be posted in a specific thread. It's not efficient for Mindi, Richard, Tim and myself to hunt around various threads in various forums to identify problems and requests. As Ich said, the party seems to be here, so we're here. But we're also in the thread we asked to be the official spot. We're also answering pm's, and it goes on and on. We're spending a great deal of time here talking in circles about a handful of issues, when that time could/should be spent working on the known problems.

Richard has asked that a pm be sent to Mindi if you have a specific issue which needs to be resolved or a specific complaint. This is to help us be able to actually address these issues in a timely, consistent manner. You are welcome to continue this discussion, assuming it remains civilized, for as long as you like. We're saying, we need to keep on task. You are not being censored, and frankly I'm offended by the suggestion that you are.

You may no longer call me Neil
The Following User Says Thank You to Annette For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread