ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old October 27th, 2005, 08:25 AM

Sergeant

Listy is on a distinguished road
Default New Bug.

The bug is simply, Ammo is not reloading.

Attached is a Save game file where I had tested out the bug, to see if it was just me. and the Test scenario I created to test out this bug.

The UH-1 with all the weapons slots filled with weapon 148, "4x 2.75in FFAR".

After all the shots have been fired (Either at a hex, or an unit*), you land the helicopter in between either of the ammo supply points, and it will not reload.

I tested it for around 8 turns, in between the two ammo dumps, and it didn't re-load. I haven't tried it with the "2x 2.75in FFAR" yet.

*I first discovered this bug in a scenario, the unit had fired its rockets at an enemy unit, not area fired like the ones in the test scenario did.

OOB mistake: Oct 1965, Egypt, a unit called "Patrol Craft" has two spotter planes in it, not Boats.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 389852-bug.zip (79.2 KB, 122 views)
Old October 28th, 2005, 11:22 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Bug.

is this some unit you played around with weapons in the scenario editor?.

Ammo loadouts are stored in the OOB for each unit slot - that is what ammo units reference to find what to reload.

So they can only reload with the ammo load for the original unit, as found in the OOB.

Cheers
Andy
Old October 28th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Sergeant

Me and Pyros found this bug, as you say for a senario, and Pyros found another related one.

I belive he's allready passed the infomation onto Don.
Old October 28th, 2005, 06:01 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,482 Times in 2,710 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

As Andy said. The ammo units use the ammo loadouts from the original OOB entry as the guide when re-issuing ammo. The game does not store the info on the changes you made. This is not a "bug" it's the way the game works.

The moral of this story is try to use the stock OOB entries when building scenarios and user campaigns as much as possible. Overly creative use of the "Modify the current units data" editor will cause you trouble.

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle..
Old October 29th, 2005, 03:36 AM

Colonel

Pyros is on a distinguished road

David,

Don & Andy explained me in detail these issues.
So IMO, this kind of issues are technically seen as coding limitations rather than a bug.

Concerning the "anorthodox" treatment of the scenario editor (irregular procedures in the scenario designing), I guess this is the price that someone has to pay when he travels through uncharted (and "dangerous") waters!

Bottom line, respect the normal procedures and you won't have any problem at all.

Everything is OK!

cheers,
Pyros
Old October 29th, 2005, 07:31 AM

Sergeant

Question.

understand it's only acepting the info-from the OOB. However If the weapons match will it bomb up to that number?

I'll try to explain.

Say in the example above, we had put 6 HEAT rounds in the weapon, when we went to re-load would it load up 4 HEAT instead?

Becuase if it does, then it could be a useful senario desgin tool.
Old October 29th, 2005, 08:04 AM

Colonel

Pyros is on a distinguished road

Yes,

The unit will recall just the number and position of ammo quantity that match with the original OOB.

What is very interesting is the inverse situation:

Begin a scenario with units with the same weapon's configuration, but with very low ammo levels (quantity of 2-4).
Then bring on as reinforcements, ammo carriers and... there you have an interesting situation.
Your depleted (from ammo modified units) will stock up to the original ammo levels as soon as they come close with an ammo provider unit.

This is great for situations like for example the ammo resupplying of airborn Para units by the use of airdroped ammo containers etc...

IMO, this might be a good reason, why the modified units should (after all) recall the original OOB ammo levels.

cheers,
Pyros
Old October 29th, 2005, 01:48 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Listy said:
Question.

understand it's only acepting the info-from the OOB. However If the weapons match will it bomb up to that number?

I'll try to explain.

Say in the example above, we had put 6 HEAT rounds in the weapon, when we went to re-load would it load up 4 HEAT instead?

Becuase if it does, then it could be a useful senario desgin tool.
Yes

If you modify a unit which has rifle with 60 HE in slot X to have say SMG with 40 HE ammo, then on reload it will fill slot X with the full 60 HE.

If you have a slot 1 weapon with 4 HEAT, but change the modified unit to 8 HEAT (changed or unchanged weapon), it will reload slot 1 with 4 HEAT.

A slot whic was a rifle with 60 ammo, that you change to an AT gun with 0 HE and 20 AP - will reload with the 60 HE, which could be a wonderful boost (if it has an HE round and there is no enemy armour left - or a real pain if it is say a 40mm littlejohn squeezebore with nil HE value.

A simple test scenario (use small ammo loads in the test units ! - should suffice to show what happens.

No problems, if you keep to compatible weapon types for the slots, OR are designing a scenario with no ammo supply units (the vast majority). If you are making a scenario with ammo supply - best to stick to stock units.

Changing unit weapon data in scenarios is really only for small "tweaks" - it is not meant to be there for vast structural changes. There are plenty of "gotchas" if you do that, so it is only a facility for the very experienced designer IMHO.

(Weapon sounds - if not the default 0 in the OOB (when the code then determines the sound) - seem also to be another item taken from the database. As is the "information" page for units data in-game, which comes directly from the OOB. So if you take a 15cwt truck and hack it about into an MBT - that page will still show the data from the 15cwt truck in the OBAT.

In any case - the changed load may confuse the end user, so be careful if changing unit data and providing ammo supply units to the player.

Cheers
Andy