This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old October 11th, 2003, 07:58 AM

Captain

ZeroAdunn is on a distinguished road
Default Honor Mod?

So, I am definetely going to be buying this game (unfortunately a little lo on cash right now) and I was thinking of some mods I might want to make.

So, I just started reading the Honor Harrington series (in the middle of Short Victorious War now) and was thinking, the books could probably be Modded into Starfury. So, I was wondering if this is possible:

Make shields that generate movement as well, then make side shield slots to represent the impellars generating the sidewall.
Old October 11th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Honor Mod?

That would be pretty easy to do...
Using my Slot Modder, delete the shield slots, move the engine slots to wherever you like and give them a port or starboard facing.

In components, grab the engine components, and add another ability, shield generation.
Presto Change-o.

You'll also change the models, and weapons, and etc, but I don't know what you want to be doing with that.
Old October 13th, 2003, 09:32 PM

Colonel

gregebowman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by ZeroAdunn:

So, I just started reading the Honor Harrington series (in the middle of Short Victorious War now) and was thinking, the books could probably be Modded into Starfury. So, I was wondering if this is possible:

I keep seeing mention of this Honor Harrington series, but for as many sci-fi books that I read, I don't think I've come across it. Who's the author, and how many books are there in this series? I'd like to read them, if I ever have the time (and money, cause books aren't cheap anymore).
Old October 13th, 2003, 10:10 PM

Private

Mehrunes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by gregebowman:
I keep seeing mention of this Honor Harrington series, but for as many sci-fi books that I read, I don't think I've come across it. Who's the author, and how many books are there in this series? I'd like to read them, if I ever have the time (and money, cause books aren't cheap anymore).
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...937955-7606406
Old October 13th, 2003, 10:21 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

What you want to do is buy the War of Honor (I think that's the book) hardcover. The rest of the series comes with it on CD.

Or check Baen's web site. They have a free library with the first two books.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old October 14th, 2003, 07:53 PM

Private

it depends is on a distinguished road

http://www.baen.com/library/

David Weber, start with On Baslisk Station, then slowly fall in love with military Sci-Fi.

Sheilds would be doable, as they are invulnerable top and bottom (works in a 2d universe), and vunerable on the sides. The sidewalls would get pretty heavy, as there would be no front or back. Hmm, bet Cruisers "cross the T" easier than Battleships.

You'd also have to make huge fighters/small frigates to do the LAC's, and I can;t wait to see what you do with the SD(P)'s.
Old October 14th, 2003, 10:20 PM

Colonel

gregebowman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by it depends:
http://www.baen.com/library/

David Weber, start with On Baslisk Station, then slowly fall in love with military Sci-Fi.

David Weber. I'll keep an eye out for those books. I just found an old book store close to where I work, and they have a large sci-fi section. I plan on spending a lot of time and money there in the future. Thanks
Old October 16th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Question:
Are the shields a % absorption, or a hitpoints-type dealy?

If the latter, it will be simple.
For the former, a crystalline armor effect would work nicely.
The only issue would be in assuring a fixed percentage absorption...

Of course, if you were to have a set number of impellers, say 5 on each side, then giving each one a CA value of 0.1 would work out.
Damage to the impellers would then cause bigger leaks in the shield effect than the default 50%

You might have an issue with larger ships having more engines and thus more than 50% absorption on the sides, but that may be fine...
The CA adds differently from SE4, so it is a "X shield points generated per point of damage"
Thus, the % leaked is proportional to 1/#CA
A total CA ability of 1.0 gives 50% absorption, so doubling the number of impeller would get you 2.0 CA, and 67% absorption.

Alternatively, you could use custom slots, so that each hull size needs impellers that are specific to it.
A cruiser could require 2x the number of impellers *** a destroyer, but each "Cruiser-sized" impeller would have half the CA ability of a Destroyer-sized one. Thus, each ship would still have 50% absorption even though they have different numbers of impellers. The cruiser's sidewalls would be more resilient, since each point of damage taken would cause a smaller fraction of the impellers to be destroyed.
Old October 16th, 2003, 07:03 PM

Private

Mehrunes is on a distinguished road

The biggest problem is that there's no way to roll on your side to present your impeller wedge for protection.
Old October 17th, 2003, 12:00 AM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Its sort of weird. What the sidewalls are supposed to do is weaken incoming fire, but ussually not stop it. Except they have two generators, effectively: the engines have to be functional for the sidewall to work, but without the specific sidewall generators, there is no sidewall.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger