.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:45 PM

Captain

Psycho is on a distinguished road
Default Re: known backstabbers

If they delete the thread here, you can always take it to the wanker forum. They are longing for some drama over there.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:48 PM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by militarist View Post
Why deleting a thread which adds value?
A thread that promotes arguments and bad feeling amongst the players in this community is certainly not adding value to it. And if you think a thread such as this is not going to lead to such problems, then you are certainly going to be in the minority with that opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by militarist View Post
And why would admins did intervention here at all?
They would intervene because part of their job as admin / moderator is to ensure there are no threads on this forum that encourage flame wars / arguments / hostility between forum members. And one member openly branding other members as dishonest / untrustworthy / a cheat, is certainly not going to be viewed as something that encourages 'hugs and kisses' between members.

And I am not trolling thank you very much, I am pointing out for your benefit why threads such as this are a bad idea, and as Gandalf points out, why several such threads have been taken down in the past by the moderators. You are by no means the first person to attempt such a list, and you won't be the last. But such a list will never be a good idea on these forums, as they only ever serve to create an environment of bad feeling that is certainly unwanted in this Dominions community. (especially given the rough ride this community has had recently).
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:07 PM

First Lieutenant

ghoul31 is on a distinguished road

I noticed that people in games act like they do in real life. So if they are an jerk in the game, they are probably one in real life too.

I see this all the time in MMORPGS. Some people grief low level noobs all day long. It has nothing to do with roleplaying, they are just jerks, plain and simple.

But I agree that a thread like this will create a big flame war. And the devs don't seem to allow that on this forum.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:08 PM

Major

Hadrian_II is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
If they delete the thread here, you can always take it to the wanker forum. They are longing for some drama over there.
where is the wanker forum, i only found multiplayer and mods forums?
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

militarist is on a distinguished road

I'm afraid you do not get the idea of this list then, Calahan.
This thread is not about "bad feelings", I expect it not to "encourage flame wars / arguments / hostility between forum members".
But, as for another part of your message, about "branding other members as dishonest / untrustworthy / a cheat " - some trolls troll forums. And there are trolls who troll games, joining them and destroying them from inside, killing all interest and demotivating to join new. And purpose of this thread - is some level of NATURAL control that player community can have to protect itself against these trolls.

I'm absolutely agree that many emotions, blamings, branding as something bad - doesn't add pleasure. But pleasure should not be based on illusions. Because if it's based on illusions, at the end of the day you will have disillusion, and it will lead to much worse emotions then those you are talking here about.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:19 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point

I also feel that unless noted that all treaties of any kind should be kept. I also have the reputation of NEVER breaking my word.

I keep a list of those I play with who I feel have acted dishonorably, and those who I trust. I often get asked for my 'lists' but I will not give them out.

I think that it upsets the balance when there is a public list as there really ARE two sides to every action, not to mention that they may do something ONCE and then never do it agian.

I respect your right to create whatever list you want....but keep in mind, once you brand someone in public you will always become a target of them and others like them.

I personally chose to act like I ignore it and take care of it later, as Michael Corleone said "Revenge tastes best when it is cold"
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

To avoid flame war and banning for flame, let's be simple - if you want to discuss the idea - join IRC or PM me. Do not kill this thread by trolling. Create another thread for this as I already asked.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:21 PM

BANNED USER

pyg is on a distinguished road

Ashdod plz, thank you
and I'm a known backstabber
refrigerator

Last edited by pyg; May 23rd, 2010 at 09:44 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pyg For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:35 PM

First Lieutenant

Zapmeister is on a distinguished road

A few decades ago, when boardgames were the only way to do multiplayer anything, there was this notion in some circles that games should be independant of each other.

In other words, it was thought best not to let the legacy of any game carry over to the next. Without that principle, it was impossible for players to experiment with different levels of reliability (as an ally).

I subscribe to that idea. If a backstab, even if perfectly legal in the context of the game, is going to wind up haunting you forever than you're not ever going to do it. There's one aspect of multiplayer gameplay down the drain.

Just my 2c. The list that this thread was intended to compile WOULD be used as a black-list, and that would be a Bad Thing IMHO.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

I Love you, Pyg