.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 28th, 2009, 02:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

Swan is on a distinguished road
Default heroes

1)There is a database like edi's one but with heroes?
2)There is a 4 handed weapon? if not, there is a way to create it?

Emo worm's summons
Prydain, deathborn kingdom
Nameless city expansion pack feat. swan's herd
Venexia, the most serene republic
Old December 28th, 2009, 03:33 PM

BANNED USER

Ink is on a distinguished road
Default Re: heroes

Two-hands on a weapon is beneficial due to the increased control surface and distance between the control points (the arms); much like it is harder to do a push-up with one arm than with two (even if, suppose, the single arm were made to be as strong as two).

Given this, a four-armed being couldn't really wield a two-handed weapon with two arms from the same side of its body and receive any benefit. Similarly, a 'four-handed' weapon wouldn't really be feasible, or much use, unless the being had such a shape that the four arms were set upon its body in such a way that each provided a significantly different angle from the other arms.

A humanoid would probably never achieve the necessary body shape. An insectoid might because an exoskeleton provides the sorts of hardpoints necessary to place appendages along the body were having many of them provides an actual benefit. However, an exoskeleton on a thing larger than an insect is itself a problem.

Despite what your suitors may have told you, size does matter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ink For This Useful Post:
Old December 28th, 2009, 04:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

i still think about bigger as a synonym for better but ok

Emo worm's summons
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:15 AM

Captain

Quitti is on a distinguished road

If you want to check out heroes, there is a map called heroview or something similar, that has all the heroes listed. I Don't know how outdated it is though...
Old December 29th, 2009, 12:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road

You might want to have a look at this thread I started on multi-heroes. Not definitive, but it's got some additional information.

I don't think there's any comprehensive list of vanilla game heroes specifically, but the units themselves are listed in Edi's DB and in lch's wiki. You can make some assumptions by perusing the AllUnits tab; if the unit name is Hero, assume it is. Some are documented in the Notes of that tab. Some you can infer by the fact that they have a unique name.

If you're using CBM, many more heroes are added by the "Worthy Heroes" portion of that, so you can see them documented in the mod text.

If you're up to the task of doing the documentation, it would be a nice resource :-)
Old December 29th, 2009, 04:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

eh, i had the idea about a guide for all the heroes, but if i have to manually search any single of them it's not worth it

Emo worm's summons
Old December 29th, 2009, 05:09 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink View Post
Two-hands on a weapon is beneficial due to the increased control surface and distance between the control points (the arms); much like it is harder to do a push-up with one arm than with two (even if, suppose, the single arm were made to be as strong as two).

Given this, a four-armed being couldn't really wield a two-handed weapon with two arms from the same side of its body and receive any benefit. Similarly, a 'four-handed' weapon wouldn't really be feasible, or much use, unless the being had such a shape that the four arms were set upon its body in such a way that each provided a significantly different angle from the other arms.

A humanoid would probably never achieve the necessary body shape. An insectoid might because an exoskeleton provides the sorts of hardpoints necessary to place appendages along the body were having many of them provides an actual benefit. However, an exoskeleton on a thing larger than an insect is itself a problem.

Despite what your suitors may have told you, size does matter.

Being able to fire two crossbows would be of significant advantage. Or four.

I also don't agree with the rest of the analysis. Arms evolved to be useful - the same would likely be true for two armed creatures as much as 4.

As someone that once upon a time could do 300 one armed pushups -it wasn't significantly 'harder' than doing two handed pushups. Once you can do that many it is casual effort to do them either one handed or two.
Old December 31st, 2009, 05:16 PM

BANNED USER

Ink is on a distinguished road

two crossbows (or four) wouldn't be an advantage because it takes one whole body to reload and cock them. If you had two of them you'd spend twice as long getting them both ready to fire again (probably longer, since you'd have to prepare one, set it aside, prepare the other, pick them both up, aim them...). Also, since cocking a crossbow is done by the whole body, having four arms wouldn't help with that at all.

Finally, since there is no known vertebrate with more than four limbs, it is safe to assume that four arms would not, in fact, evolve to be useful.
Old December 31st, 2009, 07:14 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Hmm, wasn't there a 4 armed human baby born recently? I don't know if all the arms were fully functional or not, but since then they've had surgery and should only have 2 arms now. Guess we'll never know how useful it would have been.

I agree that it would be hard to use more than one crossbow at a time though, at least without being significantly stronger than a human.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old December 31st, 2009, 08:16 PM

Corporal

Calchet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink View Post
Finally, since there is no known vertebrate with more than four limbs, it is safe to assume that four arms would not, in fact, evolve to be useful.
Just because something hasn't happened to evolve naturally, that doesn't mean it couldn't be useful - evolution, as far as I know, doesn't work with 'what would be useful to aim for' so much as 'what happens to come around and turns out useful', or we might see flying sharks with friggin' lazer beams for eyes. Those would be really useful.

And also really awesome. But I digress.