.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 27th, 2009, 05:48 AM

Private

weimaar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Will there be a Dominions 4

I'm not in ANY way talking about a 3D engine. Simply a better 2D engine with more mod. And perhaps a better algorithm to faster process HUGE games and a slightly better AI. And yes, i do play it in single player mode

Is there a chance to create a fund from the people playing Dom3 for the creation of a Dom 4? How much money is actually required to make a new engine? 1000 - 2000 EUR? Is it more than a months work with the existing data for the developers? C'mon it CANNOT be that hard now can it? (im conciously presuming hillarious stuff so that i provoke a reaction)
Old June 27th, 2009, 06:30 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

They don't seem to be motivated by money and I believe it would be far harder and more costly (in terms of time, since they are a 2 person team) than you imagine.
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:03 AM

Private

weimaar is on a distinguished road

If the devs are not motivated by money, by what then could they be motivated then (other than need of course?)

What are the devs doing at the moment and what other than patching the game? Does anyone know? Any rumors out there?
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:10 AM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

The devs both have full-time jobs and do the games as much as a hobby as for money. Thus they're motivated to work on projects they find interesting, which has worked out very well for us.

They're currently working on a secret new game. Not Dominions 4, but something else.
I find it very unlikely they'll come back to Dominions afterward. Maybe if the new game doesn't work out, but most likely, they and we will be too excited by the new game to worry to much about Dominions.
Old June 27th, 2009, 01:06 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeff View Post
I find it very unlikely they'll come back to Dominions afterward. Maybe if the new game doesn't work out, but most likely, they and we will be too excited by the new game to worry to much about Dominions.
That depends on the type(FPS?; RPG?; RTS?), game depth, and replay value of the new game. Take Triumph Studios for example which dropped AgeofWonders:ShadowMagic to create Overlord. The Overlord forums are dead with silence, but the AgeofWonders forums are still alive with activity and even developing a second unofficial patch which is adding new races & units.
Old June 28th, 2009, 01:10 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimaar View Post
If the devs are not motivated by money, by what then could they be motivated then (other than need of course?)

What are the devs doing at the moment and what other than patching the game? Does anyone know? Any rumors out there?
In simplest form: This is not what the devs do to make money. This is what the devs make money (in the day jobs) in order to do (in their spare time).

This comes up alot. Over the years I have been amazed at the tactics used to try and motivate Illwinter. You are asking nicely but I have seen offers to help, downright bribes, challenges, name calling, disparagement of the product, logic, whining, inciting group rebellions, and veiled threats. Not overtly of course but things like "you will lose xxxxxxxx (money, fans, standing, credibility) and fail miserably".

I have often tried and tried to hint that the answers are available online but I saw the same people shoot themselves in the foot time and time again. Some fairly good ideas died I feel entirely due to the challenging way they were presented.

I probably had no problem since the philosophies of Illwinter are so close to my own. I posted frequently stressing the power of "please" and "thank you" in motivating those not driven by money. It did manage IMHO to get some projects moved forward.

I guess that I can now release my "secret file" on the subject. Its probably too late to save any Dom3 projects but maybe people will remember it and take a hint when it comes to asking for things in the next Illwinter project.
http://www.dom3minions.com/files/Dom3_Reasons.txt

Gandalf Parker
--
Some people spend so much effort making money that they seem to forget what it was they were making money for.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gandalf Parker For This Useful Post:
Old June 28th, 2009, 03:32 PM

Brigadier General

Johan K is on a distinguished road

Ah, that text file brings back memories from the good old times.
Old June 28th, 2009, 03:46 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan K View Post
Ah, that text file brings back memories from the good old times.
Condolences JK.
I know what it became. You know I did my part to combat it (at least I hope very much I didnt aid in it)

I truly wish you a return to the good times in the present endeavor even if Im not around to try and buffer against the friendly fire.
Old June 28th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

I love this line:

We do not, however start out aiming for a greater scale. Start small and
let the organics of creativity work - grow, grOW, GROW ... ping: game
finished! Blubb, blubb, flush! Game doesn't stop growing.

Old June 28th, 2009, 06:42 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

JK: Is Gandalf just interpreting there, or was dom3 really somehow ruined for you by a handful of people complaining about certain things in the game?

Maybe I just lack the context, but the comment "Ah, that text file brings back memories from the good old times" doesn't seem to me to be cause for condolences.