Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old December 2nd, 2005, 09:23 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road
Default Linux support

How I would jump with joy if I could run this masterpiece on my linux box. At present not even Wine or Cedega can run it (how come btw?).
So my real question is: would implementing linux support be a mindbogglingly hard thing or could you do it in an hour or so?

Your humble SPMBT addict
Dedas
Old December 2nd, 2005, 07:57 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Linux support

Quote:
Dedas said:
How I would jump with joy if I could run this masterpiece on my linux box. At present not even Wine or Cedega can run it (how come btw?).
So my real question is: would implementing linux support be a mindbogglingly hard thing or could you do it in an hour or so?

Your humble SPMBT addict
Dedas
WinSPMBT is a windows game (hence the Win bit at the start .

- It uses DirectShow for MP3 sound. If your Linux emulator cannot do that - no sound is possible. Try turning it all off.

- It uses DirectX graphics. That may be incompatible, and that is why we provided the GDI-only graphics mode in Windowed mode only (not full screen which is DirectX). So - try GDI mode in a window under Linux.

Cheers
Andy
Old December 2nd, 2005, 09:32 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road

Thank you for you answer!

I do certainly understand the Win bit in WinSPMBT as it being designed to run in windows. But a windows design does not often stop linux from running a program, as linux can emulate (or actually simulate) an almost authentic windows environment, with dll's, directx and the works. However, some things it seems not to be able to give the game.

After some fiddling I actually got the game working in windowed mode (directx and also GDI) but with no sound and no visible mouse pointer; I could, however "feel" around and click at things, ie the mouse is there but not visible.

However, I do not want to give up here and just dual boot windows to play the game, as I feel that that would be like resigning to the idea that you "need" and always will need windows, putting it on a pedestal as the one - essential - OS over all others, making them somewhat lesser and not worthwhile. So no! I will not surrender yet, I will fight on for a free market. But enough me talking nonsense, here is a logging from starting up winSPMBT.exe with wine:

###
fixme:ddraw:Main_DirectDraw_SetCooperativeLevel (0x7ff372f8)->(0x10024,00000013)fixme:xvidmode:X11DRV_XF86VM_Se tCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 8
fixme:xvidmode:X11DRV_XF86VM_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 8
fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_DDHAL_CreatePalette stub
fixme:ddrawIB_DirectDrawSurface_Blt dwFlags DDBLT_WAIT and/or DDBLT_ASYNC: can't handle right now.
fixmeDSD_CreateSecondaryBuffer (0x7ff8ae70,0x7ff8a8c0,180e0,0,0x7ffab5fc,0x7ffab6 ec,0x7ffab5d8): stub
fixmeDSD_CreateSecondaryBuffer (0x7ff4ef68,0x7ff6aa88,180e0,0,0x7ffd63ac,0x7ff4e7 d4,0x7ffd6388): stub
fixme:ddraw:Main_DirectDraw_SetCooperativeLevel (0x7ff372f8)->(0x10024,00000008)
###

Sound is on, directX is on, windowed mode is off.
This is how I would prefer to play it. When I type prefer think of it more like a dream, and nothing else. In reality I'm already compromising in good order (I'm a linux user).

Sorry if you all feel that I don't have the right of support as I'm running a none supported OS for this game. But hey, a man can try.

Your - hopefully not unwanted -
Dedas
Old December 3rd, 2005, 02:19 PM

Private

Captain_Cruft is on a distinguished road

I am a Linux user too. However, I think porting this game to Linux would be a decidedly non-trivial exercise. Perhaps if someone were to offer loads of money? Otherwise it's not going to happen ...

Great engine BTW guys, I can't wait for WinSPWW2.
Old December 3rd, 2005, 02:23 PM

Private

Captain_Cruft is on a distinguished road

With respect to Wine, IIRC there are some options in the config file to do with "grabbing the mouse" and similar. I would suggest fiddling around there.